Gigantour Setlist Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The song that got me hooked on Symphony X was Evolution. That was the first I ever heard of the band and I was like "whoa, I've never heard anything like that before". Similar to how I felt when I first heard Yngwie (and had never before heard shred or power metal). Probably should be a staple of the set list, especially on a tour like this where X is getting exposed to so many new fans, that song is really instantly very likable and impressive.

2. Damnation Game
Church of the Machine (it was AWESOME when I saw it live on the Odyssey tour the one leg that they did it on)

PS. It would be really funny for SyX to cover a Dream Theater song like Dance of Eternity. Would turn a few heads as well. ;)

After reading this board for several weeks now, I decided to register thanks to this thread (Hi everybody!). Though I don't get to see them on Gigantour :)erk: ) I'd like to see these songs being played.

1) Pharaoh.
(Circa 1998. I borrowed some albums from a friend, who recommended me Symph. The album was TDWOT. I returned the records not that much impressed, for I was not into prog music. After a while I kept remembering the drum beats from Pharaoh and some lyrics. I borrowed it again, to give it another chance. It's been some 7 years since then and has become my favourite band :worship: )

2) Smoke and Mirrors & Wicked
(I think these ones would ROCK live. I'll be looking forward to them when they come to South America... some day...)

1. Church Of The Machine.
It was my first song I ever heard (downloaded it to see who the heck these guys were when they opened for Blind Guardian back in 2002). I was instantly hooked on it, and seeing them play it live, I was up in the balcony, and everyone down below was going crazy to it...still one of my favorite moments out of any concert I've ever gone to.

2. Church Of The Machine/Edge Of Forever (either of the two) and Absinthe And Rue
Come on...who doesn't want to hear Russell sing Absinthe?

1) Back two years ago when I was first listening to metal Symphony X was one of the early bands I listened to, and the first song I heard was "Fallen." Actually, it could have been "Out Of The Ashes," those were my first two from Symphony X, I forgot which one was first.

2) "Of Sins And Shadows" and "The Accolade," definitely. A tasteful heavy song with a definitive shred solo and an excellent slower number. ^_^

I think they need to play more to the environment than to existing SyX fans. Anything they play will please us, but I think they should take this opportunity to win new fans. Since this will be a heavier crowd, they should play the following:

1) The Eye's of Medusa
2) King of Terrors

I would also say they should play "Pharaoh" as that's one of my favorite SyX songs and one of their heaviest, but I know I'll get flamed for suggesting it since so many people regard it as one of their least favorite SyX songs. It would fit with a heavier crowd, I'm sure of it.

scanner313 said:
I think they need to play more to the environment than to existing SyX fans. Anything they play will please us, but I think they should take this opportunity to win new fans. Since this will be a heavier crowd, they should play the following:

1) The Eye's of Medusa
2) King of Terrors

I would also say they should play "Pharaoh" as that's one of my favorite SyX songs and one of their heaviest, but I know I'll get flamed for suggesting it since so many people regard it as one of their least favorite SyX songs. It would fit with a heavier crowd, I'm sure of it.

pharoah is an awesome song! It was the first SX song I ever heard.

MC Pee pants said:
1) The odyssey, I got the album, and went straight to that and listened to only it for a day.

2)Of Sins and Shadows, Egypt

Why is it that virtually everyone is listing 2 songs as their second choice (see above for example)? Are they referring to a medly or something?

Anyway, just noting this as I thought it was humorous. :)

bball_1523 said:
pharoah is an awesome song! It was the first SX song I ever heard.

Yeah, it's probably in my top 5 from the guys. The break into the chorus is just f**king awesome! It amazes me that so many SyX fans list it as probably their worst song, primarily because of the "cheesy" lyrics. I think the lyrics to Pharaoh are some of the best they've written. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of an Egyptian god taking revenge on tomb robbers is just awesome! Especially since there are so many myths about this actually being the case (i.e. King Tut/Carter).

I think Pharoah is an incredible song. Glad to see that at least one other person on this board agrees with me. Well, actually, I should say that I know the guy who uses "Pharoah" as his user ID likes it too (not because of his name, but because he has said so in previous posts). :)

so many SyX fans list it as probably their worst song, primarily because of the "cheesy" lyrics.
Really??? Well, for whatever reason they consider it to be the worst, it helped me discover and love Symphony X. And about the lyrics, the same kind of writing can be found in most of the albums, including The Odyssey, so they should reconsider their reasons :p

scanner313 said:
Why is it that virtually everyone is listing 2 songs as their second choice (see above for example)? Are they referring to a medly or something?

Anyway, just noting this as I thought it was humorous. :)

Because we asked for one or two songs..so most folks are responding with one or two songs. Read the original post. ;)

1.) The song that got me into SX was Smoke and Mirrors
2.) Must-haves: Of Sins and Shadows, and even though they never play it, In The Dragon's Den would be spectacular live. If I had to pick something they already do live, then Evolution (my 2nd SX song).

Status
Not open for further replies.