Sf Show Review And Setlist -- Rock And Fucking Roll!

GeniusGonInsane

Resident Media Punisher
OK, so Vicious Rumors opened and they rocked. Very impressive.

I did not stick around for Savatage, so don't ask.

OK, here's a rough setlist, pretty much in order, but definitely not perfect:

1. Engines of Hate
2. This Sacrament
3. River Dragon
4. Narcosynthesis
5. Heart Collector
6. Inside Four Walls
7. Next In Line
8. DHIADW
9. The Sound of Silence

Yes, only 9 songs. And nothing from Dreaming Neon Black. OK, so I hope you're not disappointed. I think if I had known the setlist before the show, I would not have enjoyed the show so much. But it was so fucking intense that I didn't even realize that they only played stuff from two albums until 20 minutes after the whole thing was done.

Two other notes: first let me make it VERY CLEAR (for those of you who were at the show) that I was totally kidding when I shouted "Play your Metallica cover!" Warrel did not seem to get the joke, which is cool because I should have been shot on the spot for even having thought of that ridiculous band in the middle of Nevermore. Forgive me. As Curran started playing Seek and Destroy, Warrel continued on to say, "We do more Slayer than Metallica" and was quick to cut off Curran before he started playing Reign in Blood.

Second, when my buddy ManicMetal shouted to play "Tienanman Man" Warrel replied, "Next time, that's for the next time." That is promising.

Another note, and this was hilarious. The whole fucking show, basically in between every song, a bunch of us drunks would shout "NEV-ER-MORE! NEV-ER-MORE!" Warrel responded, "What are you guys doing?! We're not a fucking arena band!" But the killer was toward the end of the show, when he cut our chanting off and said, "It would be more appropriate if you guys shouted, "NEVER-SCORE! NEVER-SCORE!" We about died because Nevermore rules for saying that.

So I hope you don't think that I am a pinner for talking so much about the shit that occurred in between songs, but I can't try to speak about the music because I don't want to attempt it when I'll just fuck it up. If you were there, then you could understand how fucking awesome Nevermore is. They absolutely rule the world. I will not describe their playing. This is the fourth time I have seen them, and each show I seem to enjoy more. Don't miss this tour!!!!

I guess one point I should make note of is how bad Jeff Loomis fucked up River Dragon's intro. It was horrific. I looked up and was like, "Huh? Am I playing or something? Why does this sound so aweful?" I guess even the best fuck up from time to time.

Speaking of Jeff, is it me or does he look like he hates his band at every show? Whatever.

All I know is that tomorrow my body and vocal cords will hurt very much. But that is why I listen. I wish I could share the emotion that I experienced this evening. Every note they played and lyric they sang I felt I was a part of. During Heart Collector, I merely sat there, eyes closed, with my hands in the air, thinking about how Nevermore was there to feel my pain and let me air out the hurt that exists inside me.

I wish others would do the same instead of leading their insignificant little money-oriented, media-guided, material-driven lives. I wish that I could show them what I felt tonight, and what others surely did as well. Instead, they can enjoy NSYNC on the radio.

And one last tidbit, if you're still reading this mess: the brotherhood (and sisterhood to be pc) that occurred at that show was tremendous. It is truly powerful to put your arm around a Nevermore fan who you don't know and will never see again and shout lyrics with him and Warrel, and then turn around and bust heads in the mosh pit. Thank heavens for metal. I would be no where without it.

That kinda sucks about the amount of songs..I saw them in May and it seemed like they played for 80+ minutes! Anyway can't wait til the 12th..I'll be singing & moshing to Narcosynthesis then.

Originally posted by GeniusGonInsane
It is truly powerful to put your arm around a Nevermore fan who you don't know and will never see again and shout lyrics with him and Warrel, and then turn around and bust heads in the mosh pit. Thank heavens for metal. I would be no where without it.

Indeed!

I was at the San Francisco show, and I must say that it kicked ass. I seen them at "PoundSF" back in May also.

One thing I couldn't figure out was... What the fuck was the deal with Warrell wearing that cowboy hat? And the intro also, I didn't understand that.

LOL, so it was you that yelled for a Metallica cover huh? I was unaware that you were kidding. I think almost everyone thought you were serious.

I thought the setlist was good, but I was surprised that they didn't do any songs from Dreaming Neon Black. I was hoping for Beyond Within or Death of Passion, but oh well, it was still cool. I left after Nevermore as well, and I left with a serious hearing problem, my body hurting and my throat sore from screaming. I seen Warrell outside as we were leaving, but it looked like he was talking to 2 friends, so I didn't want to bother him.

Anyway, I thought it was great to see Nevermore again, and I can't wait until they come back.

Right on dude! My body hurts pretty bad right now, but it's a good kind of bad. I feel cleansed.

I think Warrel's cowboy hat is cool. Whatever. I think that the intro song was kind of just like to make you think Nirvana, Seattle, Nevermore...huh?

Originally posted by GeniusGonInsane
Right on dude! My body hurts pretty bad right now, but it's a good kind of bad. I feel cleansed.

I know exactly what you mean.

I think Warrell's cowboy hat is cool too. But when I seen it, I was like "what the fuck?" By the way, what did you think of them opening with "Engines of Hate" ? I thought it was a great opener.

That whole Nirvana, Seattle, Nevermore thing may just be right. Did you hear the dude who started yelling "Seattle sucks!" ? LOL

Yeah, that was awesome whoever shouted "Seattle sucks!" I think it might have been my friend--I'll ask him.

As far as opening with Engines of Hate, that was pretty unexpected. I always thought that would be a great opener, kind of a blend b/w new and old school, you know?

Fuck, my body hurts so bad. I did a couple stage dives and the first wasn't so bad, but man on that second one I landed backwards and got all fucked up. Well worth it, though!

What were your favorite songs of the night?

My body feels better today. I didn't do any stage diving, but being in the pit and headbanging and all make me pretty sore.

My favorite songs of the night were definately "This Sacrament", "Inside Four Walls" and "Next in Line". What were yours?

Curran does that shit all the time with Aggression Core he is a super showman, I love to watch that insane F**k play. He has a wide guitar background and is one of the best all around guitar players I have seen. Its too bad that Nevermore does not let him loose to be himself he is hella fun to watch with AC and smokes on lead guitar.

I asked Curran if he was going to be on an album and he said he wasn't holding his breath. I guess after Pat and Tim ditching they just said fuck it, Jeff can just do everything.

The Soundman at the Pound sucked but Nevermore were excellent as always, they didn't drink as much as the last time they played the Pound. The Heart Collector was probably my favorite song of the set. Van is a cool dude, I talked to him a little bit during Savatage and he said that it was the first night of the tour.

www.mudslinger1.com
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/209/mudslinger_ca.html
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/295/thanatopsis_ca.html

I didn't really have a favorite song--they all ruled. I guess Next in Line was maybe the best. Fuck, I don't know.

By the way, I couldn't tell you how the sound was, being in the front and out of the range of the PA. But I can tell you that the dude mixing the shit knows his stuff, and I hope none of you dis him. Thilo kicks ass and is one of the best sound guys around.

PS: The guy who shouted "seattle sucks!" did turn out to be my buddy, ManicMetal: He rules.