Shadow Gallery in 2006

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
For those that keep putting Shadow Gallery on their want list for next year, check out this bit from part of an interview posted on Blabbermouth.net:

Get Ready to ROCK!: I was looking on your website, hoping to find any European tour dates, but nothing was to be found. What's the deal here?

Gary: "We're not known for touring — we're not a touring band. We have started talking about it, and honestly it kind of got dropped. So many things have happened in the last six weeks to everybody, and it really has changed our outlook a little bit. We were hoping to be touring after the album came out, but that was not possible for a variety of reasons. Then we started setting our focus on a little further down the line. Even though we are looking sometime in January of February next year, we are hoping to come to Europe then, but we don't have any exact dates or venues scheduled. Honestly, right now it remains to be seen. It's a great idea, we are all excited about doing that, but when it comes down to try to book time to rehearse on that stuff, we cannot seem to be able to agree on a single day. We all have prior commitments — I have prior commitments for every weekend 'till the end of 2006! It's really a challenge to book a tour for 2007 when it's so far away, and we don't know if that's even going to happen...I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up not touring at all."

:bah:

Glenn H.

This band is pretty much a waste of time. Yeah...they put out great studio stuff, but any band can be made to sound "epic" in the studio with all the equipment & tricks they use today. But, when it comes time to replicate on the stage...it's a different story. l've refused to pick up anything from them since Tyranny. If they can't back their skills up on stage...their not legitimate in my opinion.

That's disappointing news. Nonetheless, we all ask that you make them an offer anyway....Let them refuse it, but hey, at least "try" (I'm sure it wouldn't be the firs time).

One of these days..

I've always said...when I win the lottery...I'll make my guys an offer to play live once...and fund it all. I've said to them before...if they play live just once...play ProgPowerUSA...Glenn's the best promoter and will be fair with them. Whether they play live or not...I'll still love their music.

Now off to buy more lottery tickets.

Coldfire the Gallery Mistress

Ascension said:
This band is pretty much a waste of time. Yeah...they put out great studio stuff, but any band can be made to sound "epic" in the studio with all the equipment & tricks they use today. But, when it comes time to replicate on the stage...it's a different story. l've refused to pick up anything from them since Tyranny. If they can't back their skills up on stage...their not legitimate in my opinion.

Sorry, I call BS. You either like their albums or you don't...whether or not they are a good live band, or whether they play live at all for that matter, doesn't impact the recorded material.

Music is not only about live concerts, imo.... I'm sure if it came to the point of them playing a live show, it would be a great result...

mitchgx said:
Sorry, I call BS. You either like their albums or you don't...whether or not they are a good live band, or whether they play live at all for that matter, doesn't impact the recorded material.

GO MITCH! Okay if you get to ProgPower next year.....Coldie hugs and a smooch on the cheek for you! Who knows...perhaps someday I will be able to help get SG to ProgPower...ya gotta...

Fly where your dreams go....

Hey, I know, let's start a band and try to sell music and we'll never tour. THAT should help us get to the top of the mountain. An obscure band that doesn't tour AND doesn't sell records...hmmm....a connection?

As much as I would love to see SG, what is so difficult to understand that these guys have regualr jobs and simply play music as a hobby? Apparently they are not looking to get to the top of the heap in music. The obviously enjoy creating music but simply do not have the time or desire to tour. I'm not saying that they can't play a one off type show, but I guess that is diffuclt considering they never played live and would have to find alot of time to rehearse. Hopefully they will surprise us all and make a one time appearance at PP next year!

I'm saying that l don't think they're talented enough to pull their stuff off in a live setting. If you've ever been inside a professional studio, then you've seen the equipment & tricks (filters, eqs, sampling, etc.) that they have at their disposal. I can hear alot of this in their recordings and l'm betting it would be very hard to duplicate some of the stuff they do. That's not to say other bands don't use the same stuff...they pretty much all do. But, alot hit the stage & prove themselves. It's easy to set up in a studio in a relaxed atmosphere with a relative timeframe & lay down loops of material & piece it together. It's very hard to do same said material in a live setting and make it work. I would just like to see this band prove they are as good as their releases sound. That's all. Plenty of other bands do it. Some with greater success than others, but at least they're not afraid to stick their necks out there. l'll give more credence to a band that lays it out there live and fails to a certain degree than a band that never shows up.

Ascension said:
I'm saying that l don't think they're talented enough to pull their stuff off in a live setting. If you've ever been inside a professional studio, then you've seen the equipment & tricks (filters, eqs, sampling, etc.) that they have at their disposal. I can hear alot of this in their recordings and l'm betting it would be very hard to duplicate some of the stuff they do. That's not to say other bands don't use the same stuff...they pretty much all do. But, alot hit the stage & prove themselves. It's easy to set up in a studio in a relaxed atmosphere with a relative timeframe & lay down loops of material & piece it together. It's very hard to do same said material in a live setting and make it work. I would just like to see this band prove they are as good as their releases sound. That's all. Plenty of other bands do it. Some with greater success than others, but at least they're not afraid to stick their necks out there. l'll give more credence to a band that lays it out there live and fails to a certain degree than a band that never shows up.

Hey Ascension....I've seen them at their instruments. They can do it. As others have stated, most musicians nowadays in the musical genre's we love, cannot make a living JUST being musicians. They need day jobs to raise their kids and pay their mortgages. Don't you? I'm sorry...what is more important, food in their kid's mouths and a roof over their head? Or touring just so YOU can be satisfied? trust me..there is no one here more than myself who would have her dream fulfilled by being able to one day announce them onstage playing live....but ya know what? not at the expense of their homelife. It keeps them grounded, it sustains them...keeps them balanced.

And ya know those who tour? Touring don't make dick unless you are at the level of U2 or the like. Sure they could tour..while making pennies and their house gets taken away or they get evicted...or their kids starve...,but hey all so Ascension can be satisfied they can play it out live.

I've said this many times on other forums. I would love to see my gusy play live...but not at that cost. When I do win the lottery...I'll put it up so they can rehearse and play live and make sure they don't lose their homes, families and shirts in the process.

Ya know we all love Glenn and ProgPower...but if he lost money year after year..would you be selfish enough to demand he keep going even if he lost everything else that mattered in his life?

Being "epic" is a matter of musical skills, and has absolutely nothing to do with whether you have the money to buy whatever people needed to play it live. That said, I don't know Shadow Gallery.

So we're asking to see a "STUDIO PROJECT" play live now? Isn't that a glorified garage band technically? I mean, do you want to have 1 of 10 slots filled with guys who have never stood in front of people on a regular basis? Not me. I want quality performance with quality music. Sounds like I may only get half of that deal with this band.

So we're asking to see a "STUDIO PROJECT" play live now? Isn't that a glorified garage band technically?

sure, if you also refer to Ayreon as "a glorified garage band".

What's your problem, man? Why so hostile about Shadow Gallery? I don't like them either, and I have no interest in seeing them play, but at least I don't throw around stupid (and ignorant) insults about them.

Silly me, I thought ProgPower was about bringing us performances that we would otherwise be unlikely to see.

booB said exactly what I was gonna say... You can dislike the band, and that's fine... There's no need to bash on them like that though..