"Shoe-Gazer" Metal

Erik said:
i've been curious about that paragon of beauty album. i have their previous two and "the spring" holds promise but is basically not very good, and "seraphine" isn't so good either except the first song which OWNS. but it sounds more like "dance of december souls" than anything so i guess the 3rd one is different

Yeah the third one is really quite different. I thought "The Spring" wasn't too bad actually, but I probably wouldn't listen to it again. Maybe give it a listen anyway, it's pretty good.

Definitely try Slowdive and Sonic Youth (if they count as any genre).

You don't have ITW, Nate? SHAME!

I don't know if it fits the genre, but Tiamat's "Wildhoney" should be required listening for anyone with a brain.

unhinged said:
I don't like a huge amount of this stuff but antimatter surely deserve a mention
indeed! not that they are metal (though some songs like uh, "the art of a soft landing" and one or two others have distorted guitars) but if you like "alternative 4" then getting the antimatter albums is NON OPTIONAL.

Erik said:
tried "draconian times"?

Oh yes. I've been a Paradise Lost fan since 1990 or 1991. So I bought Draconian Times as soon as it came out. I consider it their last really good album. I do think One Second is tolerable, but I just don't think anything recently is near the level of Anathema or Katatonia.

BTW, I ordered 'Wild Honey' and 'A Deeper Kind of Slumber'. I'm looking for In the Woods and Slowdive now.

Oh . . . and I have heard all of Antimatter's stuff, and I'm just not that excited about them. It doesn't even touch Alternative 4, as far as I'm concerened. It's good, though.

Nate The Great said:
Oh . . . and I have heard all of Antimatter's stuff, and I'm just not that excited about them. It doesn't even touch Alternative 4, as far as I'm concerened. It's good, though.
it's basically EXACTLY like duncan's stuff on alt4. empty? lost control? alt 4? destiny? all total antimatter material -- and indeed, they play these live with antimatter and it fits in seamlessly. i think lots of antimatter songs (over your shoulder, going nowhere, legions, expire, everything you know is wrong, weight of the world, flowers, psalms) are AT LEAST up to the quality of alt 4. but hey.

Ellestin said:
Nate, it's a sin that you never ever listened to "Omnio". Atone, dude.

Seconded...I'm not sure if I agree with the shoegaze definition for many of the bands in this thread (possibly because I'm only vaguely familiar with its origins), ITW included, my favorite in this imaginary genre would be Tonight's Decision.
And I agree about all the Antimatter albums being mandatory listening for Anathema fans, and ones of melancholic metal in general. Lights Out would be up there with Alt 4 if not for the Duncan/Mick and acoustic/electronic disparities...

i don't see what the big problem is. yeah so it's rather obvious which songs are mick's and which are duncan's sometimes, but both have the same sort of feel and most of them rule so eh..

Damn you people! Alternative 4 CAN'T BE TOUCHED! It's just one of those albums that holds EXTREME significance . . . mostly for reason other than just the music. It probably holds as much or more significance for me than any other album I can think of.

I'll listen to the Antimatter stuff again when I get home. I'm currently cleansing my bowels, preparing for another colonoscopy at the Mayo Clinic tomorrow. Between runs to the shitter, I'm messing around on the internet.

Bachelor's coming up, though!