Shoes

DigitalMan

Feb 11, 2002
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Credit goes to Bear for starting this topic on his Facebook page, but I wanted to start one here to solicit the advice of other aging concert goers. I swear the floor of Center Stage must be somehow harder than any other surface I have ever stood on. I don't stand on the floor as often as I used to, but when I do it kills my feet.

I had planned on buying new shoes before PPUSA anyway, so I wanted to solicit your advice for comfortable shoes with lots of padding. I've been buying the same exact Nike Air tennis shoes for years, so I need to decide if I get another pair or if I can find anything better.

Suggestions? If you know the specific brand and model and/or have a link that would be even better.

Yes, I do realize how odd it is for men to talk about what shoes they are going to wear to a concert.

Thanks,
Guy

An interesting question. Personally, I think lots of padding is actually not a good thing for standing all day long. That's more to cushion impact with the ground. I'd probably look for something that gives you better support for your feet. What that will be for you will depend on what kind of feet you have. (For example, if you have high arches, you probably need shoes to support that.)

Doing a Google search comes up with a lot of good recommendations for footwear that is good to stand in all day long.

Ahhh a very important topic, :) The last few years when I have returned from PPUSA my dogs were killing me , that's why I brought it up on FB. I had been doing a lot of walking though, staying in Atlantic Station, its really not that far from the venue but far enough going back and forth that it eventually takes a toll. Plus the standing which I have been doing mostly at all prog powers usually and taking some rests here and there. Last year I sat my ass down on more than a few sets. That being said I finally got some really nice Merrells yesterday by chance, that should help my situation. As we get older our priorities shift . Thanks for bringing it up here Guy!

Bear

An interesting question. Personally, I think lots of padding is actually not a good thing for standing all day long. That's more to cushion impact with the ground. I'd probably look for something that gives you better support for your feet. What that will be for you will depend on what kind of feet you have. (For example, if you have high arches, you probably need shoes to support that.)

I agree about the cushioning. I've always just work running shoes. Years ago, I bought gel inserts and wore them in my shoes all weekend. I think I was more sore (certainly no less sore) than without.

It's a shame it's so hot down there. I want to wear cowboy boots because I've always been able to stand all day long in cowboy boots without any problem.

My feet are usually fine, it's my knees that are killing me by the end of the fest.

giphy.gif

I finally got some really nice Merrells yesterday by chance, that should help my situation.

I got a pair too. Since developing arthritis in my toes I have to be very aware of things like this. I'd say this would force me from the floor and into the seats at PPUSA, but I spent most sets in the seats even when my feet were fine.

I'm like Bear my dogs are always barking after standing at a show. Today after AiC last night not too bad, but during the show yes. At PP I just sit now, but suggestions for a guy with high arches would be great.

I had planned on buying new shoes before PPUSA anyway, so I wanted to solicit your advice for comfortable shoes with lots of padding. I've been buying the same exact Nike Air tennis shoes for years, so I need to decide if I get another pair or if I can find anything better.

Suggestions? If you know the specific brand and model and/or have a link that would be even better.

Can't go wrong when choosing Haix boots/shoes for any type of need.

For common daily use I'd recommend Haix Black Eagle Tactical 20 Low (or Mid if you need ankle support)

When standing for long periods of time, the heel is the most important component. You don't necessarily need a soft, memory foam there but rather a structured, durable material that absorbs shock. For what was described above, I would highly recommend the New Balance 481v2. This thing is built like a tank and can be had for under 60 dollars some places. It has a slightly raised heel, that's the first thing you notice putting it on, but that's the benefit. That shock absorption and cushioning is built to last and to give maximum support to the heels. If you go this route, I'd advise going a half size larger than you normally wear as these run short. My company sells these but they are widely available at many retailers and come in wide widths.

If you havin foot problems I feel bad for you son

Somebody shoot me for suggesting this but Crocs make the most comfortable shoes ever. I wear them to work where I have a standing desk most of the day and I have no problems.
They even have ones that look like normal shoes now (well, loafers) so you dont have to wear the ugly bright colored holey monstrosities that the original Crocs were and risk getting fashion-punched.
They are basically like wearing anti-fatigue mats on your feet, which is what you want when standing forever.

As someone who spends half her life on her feet - I usually wear New Balance, and I've heard good things about Skechers but have not tried them for myself. Consider inserts if you don't want to drop $45+ on a pair of shoes - a decent set of Dr Scholls will make a difference.

At the festival, I often wear (broken-in!) Docs, which I would not wear for an entire shift at work, but are fine running around the venue with plenty of time sitting in the lobby or in the Vinyl.

The standing is what kills you - walking all day hurts a lot less in the end than spending long hours standing in one spot on the floor.

The standing is what kills you - walking all day hurts a lot less in the end than spending long hours standing in one spot on the floor.

I think this is a big part of it. After walking around a fair bit in the morning, I'm on the floor for every set by every band. However, I leave the auditorium between sets and don't come back in until the next band starts playing. And even when I'm in there, I'm not one to just stand still in one spot... in the process of headbanging and fist pumping, one winds up moving around and shifting foot pressure and position. :) Then, of course, there's the additional hours of standing in the Artmore courtyard, followed by a very small amount of sleep!