Shoot out: m-audio profire vs. the trusty firepod

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
okay... I just purchased a m-audio profire to replace my trusty old firepod. Thought I would do a little shootout to observe the difference in sound between the two units.

I recorded a short clip from the beginning of "idols and anchors" by parkway drive. unfortunately the unit didnt come with a break out cable, so no midi, which means I couldnt record drums with the profire until the breakout cable arrives. (I trigger the kick via midi)

so I just recorded drums with the fp, then I quad tracked guitars with my dual rec, and a 57 off axis near the dustcap on my marshall 412 cab.

I recorded Di`s into each interface, then reamped with the corresponding interface.

Bass was my shitty peavey into the instrument input of each interface.

The mixes arent any thing special. performances are kinda sloppy. I left the guitars completely clean (no eq or comp.)

bass is just logics scooped bass stack setting.

I used all the same effects and plugs on both mixes, to make the comparison as fair as possible.

the clips are on my soundclick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=937043

I am very confident in my purchase now :heh: I think the profire mix shits all over the firepod clip!

nate wright commented that the profires low mids sound less boxy, the high end is much more open, and the high mids arent as in your face, and after doing this shootout, I have to agree with him!

at some point, I`ll make a clip using my mbox2 pro as well. I know protools users would find that useful!

I wouldnt mind hearing your opinions of course :)
peace
Liam

Eek, good god does that hi-hat sound horrid :lol: But yeah, the Profire sounds slightly clearer, though you really should've made this a blind shootout dude! In fact, if you could rename the files "a" and "b" and upload 'em to dropbox or drop.io or something, that'd rule!

I`ll do that later when I have time. i never really messed around with the drums much. maybe I should have not had the hi hat cymbals so far apart. I even forgot to pan the oh`s lol. I think i`ll work on the mixes a bit more, and post a blind shootout with those clips.

Sweet dude, looking forward to it! And yeah, it definitely sounds like the hat cymbals are too far apart; oh well, trial and error!

yeah, I just kinda threw my kit up, threw some mics on it, and recorded the drums in like half an hour lol. thanks for pointing that out though! I can`t wait to try some drums with the profire. that will be a better comparison.

a sounds much smoother and more detailed.....can't remember which way around they were now....
b has got some sort of tightness to it that's good though, but it's a little harsh sounding to my ears

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :kickass:
A - more open, crisper and more defined overall. Big difference on the muted chords.
B - cloudy, muffled/blanketed, honky and muddier

Lets Hope A is your profire. :lol: