Shoot out: m-audio profire vs. the trusty firepod

Dude, I am interested in your tests, but can you please avoid mp3 compression and sites like soundclick which stream via a bitcrush method.... just upload wav's to rapidshare, the internet r teh fast now!:heh:

One thing I heard about the Profire is that their drivers suck ass. Can anyone comment? How stable is recording all eight analog inputs at 64 buffer size with CoreAudio or ASIO drivers?

I recorded Di`s into each interface, then reamped with the corresponding interface.

How about posting those DIs for comparison? From what I understood you plugged the guitar straight into the Firepod instrument input, then did the same but into the ProFire input right?

humm, I don't think the AD/DA convertion is the issue here. So I'm left with the DI quality or preamp quality.

If there's a huge difference in those DIs like in the clips you posted I think we can see where's the problem. If not then its the preamp colour.

nice shootout BTW! And I liked the Profire clip way better.

Dude, I am interested in your tests, but can you please avoid mp3 compression and sites like soundclick which stream via a bitcrush method.... just upload wav's to rapidshare, the internet r teh fast now!:heh:

One thing I heard about the Profire is that their drivers suck ass. Can anyone comment? How stable is recording all eight analog inputs at 64 buffer size with CoreAudio or ASIO drivers?

Drivers have been solid for me so far, but I've never ran it at 64 samples (don't need to). The DSP mixer allows for near zero latency monitoring, and I can live track stuff with the buffer set to 4096 samples with no issues at all, pretty cool.

I've had it at 128 and 256 as well with success. I don't monitor through the DAW, though (yet), so I haven't really pushed the setup that low.

I've recorded all 8 inputs simultaneously with success, again, with a higher buffer setting...I could even do simultaneous punch ins on all 8 inputs (tracking drums), flawless.

I feel my Profire GAS rising rapidly... But they're still not in stock at DV :( I'm ordering mine as soon as they appear.

Owning a FP10 myself, I instantly recognized which was which. B sounded just like my FP10, whereas A sounded cleaner and more defined. As if B had a flu or something compared to the A.

Same here dude. This shoot out really convinced me that there's nothing wrong with my FP10. I'm also going to sell my FP10 and go for the Profire.

How about Firestudio comparing to FP10?

Same here dude. This shoot out really convinced me that there's nothing wrong with my FP10. I'm also going to sell my FP10 and go for the Profire.

How about Firestudio comparing to FP10?

IIRC, the preamps in the FP10 are the same as the Firestudio's, the XMax preamps...That's what my Firepod and FP10 had (that's what the specs says, anyway). Other than that, I think the Firestudio has more I/O (ADAT, etc.) over the FP10 and better jitter tech and perhaps converters.

The Firestudio project for most intents and purposes seems to be equivalent to the FP10 now (10 inputs, no ADAT) - just with the updated converters and jitter tech.

How do you do for the drummer's headphones?
In my last tracking session, I lowered all the protools faders and I raise only the click, the kick and the snare (from the dsp), so the drummer was able to hear his performance in real time with the click...
It was the first time I used the profire and the dsp and the headphones outs gave me some problems :\

Most people will describe a brighter sound as "clearer" right?

Ok, I'm not a tech, so please, don't quote me on that....

But...

When I hear a brighter sounding preamp, I can't help but think this is because of the input impedance, especially when using dynamic microphones such as sm57.

From observations, a higher input impedance is not better nor worst. It's brighter sounding. It can be really cool with certain mics and sources, it can also be a real pain.

So let's look at specs.

Firepod: 1,6 kOhms

Profire: 3,7 kOhms (!)

That's significantly higher. Enough to have an influence on the sound.

As a matter of example:
Api 512c: 1,5 kOhms

Thoughts?

If you are tech guru please chime in...

Bump?

Anyone?

Most people will describe a brighter sound as "clearer" right?

Ok, I'm not a tech, so please, don't quote me on that....

But...

When I hear a brighter sounding preamp, I can't help but think this is because of the input impedance, especially when using dynamic microphones such as sm57.

From observations, a higher input impedance is not better nor worst. It's brighter sounding. It can be really cool with certain mics and sources, it can also be a real pain.

So let's look at specs.

Firepod: 1,6 kOhms

Profire: 3,7 kOhms (!)

That's significantly higher. Enough to have an influence on the sound.

As a matter of example:
Api 512c: 1,5 kOhms

Thoughts?

If you are tech guru please chime in...

Cool comparison BD.

After my experience with the Firewire 410 and seeing M-Audios support forums I have a hard time believing this ProFire is ALL THAT. Does this mean they have turned things around and developed a good new product? I liked the features on the 410 but never got it to work. I guess M-Audio would cite my firewire chipset there. I winder now if it might be worth it to buy another since they're cheaper and just get an add-on firewire card...?

I'd be very interested in hearing a clip of an external pre ran through both (just for comparison on the A/D covert). Anyone want to give it a run?

I don't think that's comparable.
I'm talking about mic pres input impedance... Did you ever use a variable input impedance pre? The difference is really audible with dynamic microphones.