Shooting at Damageplan concert

I'm with Horza on this one. I'd feel sad if Mikael Åkerfeldt, Aaron Stainthorpe, or whoever died because it would mean no more new music from them - but that would be it really.

Horza said:
You get shocked whenever someone dies like that? But you have to know there's probably happening a violent death on this earth every minute. Should one be shocked all the time because of the sad things that will never cease to exist? You alone simply can't mourn all that's worth of mourning.

Now you're just being an asshole. You could say that i'm sad in general because of the knowledge that this kinda shit happens all the time, it's just usually not the first thing on my mind. Sometimes you hear/read on the news or some guy tells you about a thing like this and that is what causes the shock. When you stop to think about it and your thoughts wonder on and you become all hippy about it (well, maybe not you but some of us...) and you start to feel like saving the rain forests... I'm talking about cases like this. If i read the paper and there's a headline telling about 200 dead children, i get shocked.

Seems like i do need to explain myself after all... :)

I didn't mean to offend you, sorry about that. I also tried not to be an asshole, but apparently years of training pushes that side of me always in the front :D

OK, so this seems more like only a difference in what makes our minds temporarily stuck in the more sensitive mode towards all that's bad in the world. Or maybe it's a different way of coping with it. News about things like these won't affect me, it very well could need myself being in the scene of such an event. Maybe even that wouldn't be enough, I don't know. It's my pretty high level of absorbed cynicism.

Remember the car bomb killing few years back in Helsinki? I read a short interview with a foreigner (can't remember from where) who happened to be near the incident. What he wondered most was how the Finnis reacted. They didn't run, they didn't panic, they didn't start screaming. They just casually turned their heads and seemed like thinking "Hmm, now that's odd." I very well may be in the majority with my attitude in this country :)

Horza said:
OK, so this seems more like only a difference in what makes our minds temporarily stuck in the more sensitive mode towards all that's bad in the world. Or maybe it's a different way of coping with it. News about things like these won't affect me, it very well could need myself being in the scene of such an event. Maybe even that wouldn't be enough, I don't know. It's my pretty high level of absorbed cynicism.

I'm beginning to think this is an age thing. We're you a cynical bastard at the age of 19? Maybe i'm not beaten down enough yet.

Horza said:
Remember the car bomb killing few years back in Helsinki? I read a short interview with a foreigner (can't remember from where) who happened to be near the incident. What he wondered most was how the Finnis reacted. They didn't run, they didn't panic, they didn't start screaming. They just casually turned their heads and seemed like thinking "Hmm, now that's odd." I very well may be in the majority with my attitude in this country :)

I read about it. To me, the incident itself is not even nearly as shocking as the reaction of the people. I don't think it's normal to a thinking adult person to not react when seeing another person die like that. They propably didn't even think "shit, i'm glad it wasn't me". Soon we won't even turn our heads when hearing a gun shot. I hope i'll never be that way.

Also, i'm very upset about all the romantization of killing in movies. Think about fucking James Bond: licence to kill?! What the fuck?!! Think about it, you watch a movie and you watch some robber being shot down buy a police officer and then the cop is a fucking hero, and he'll go for a beer with his buddys and go "yeah, i killed that son of a bitch" and he'll score some big breasted hot blonde... What about the robber? Propably just a dude who's life is seriously fucked up and he's desperately trying to get money to support he's wife and two kids. He's thinking this is the last gig i'll do, i've got that job interview next week, maybe i'll get the job and i won't have to steal anymore. It's different if you have some psycho pointing a gun at you and you know he's killed before and will kill again, if i was in that situation and i had the chance, i'd kill him. I wouldn't feel bad because that person would be a psychopath, and if he'd have a wife and kids, they'd propably be better off without him.

But the point is that if you make a split second decision, it's always wrong, no matter the outcome. Like this guy that killed Dime and others, he propably was a psycho because no normal person get's so angry about a band breaking up that he'd kill a member of it and some random people from the crowd... Nathan Gale didn't think about people close to Dimebag, because the real punishment he layed on them. If Nathan had a family, he didn't consider them either because i don't really think that he thought he'd make it alive.

PS. No harm done :)

When I heard that “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott was murdered while on stage, all I could think about at the time was then I met him when I was 15 at Zia Records by my house in Phoenix, AZ. I waited some hours to get my poster autographed by all of Pantera, most importantly my favorite metal guitarist of all time. Years later, I had the privilege to talk to him at an adult level about 3 months before this tragedy happened, at the age of 22. With a beer in my hand at the famous Rainbow Room Bar and Grill on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, I ran into Dime by the cigarette machine and asked him if I could speak with him. We talked about a lot of things for about 5 min, like when he played Mesa Amphitheater in Mesa, AZ on The Great Southern Trendkill tour in 1996. He was real responsive and friendly, and I wished him much future success in his new band Damageplan which I was impressed by with the work he did on their debut album New Found Power. When I thought about how we said goodbye, what happened was Dime and I hit both our fists together, and I said, “See ya at the Damageplan show in Tempe, AZ and his typical saying he said to me was “You know it brother,” I basically cried the second I heard the news and reminisced on that great moment.

He was such a down to earth guy, and influenced my life as a guitar player all throughout my teenage years. It was spiritual to get ready for a Pantera concert and to hear the man play live growing up. This affects all the metal communities worldwide, it will affect me for the rest of my life, and he will go down in history as a guitar legend and as a lifestyle. As a musician, I am not afraid when I perform on stage, even if a band doesn’t have any security, there is that sense of decency at least for a human not to harm another human over music. For this person with mental illness or whatever it was that triggered the murder, the stalker like obsession for musicians or any celebrity should be reported immediately to authorities. I don’t think this has ever happened before in the history of music, as far as someone getting on stage and executing someone while they are still handling their instrument. I will never forget this tragic event, to me it hit harder than 9/11.

We dedicated our show to Dimebag Dec 10th, 2004 at The Marquee Theater at the same venue Damageplan performed about a month prior from the show. The show started out as a local metal bands fest, but it was declared a memorial for Dimebag with about 800 in attendance. Channel 5 news did a coverage story about the issue of violence at metal shows with me and some of the Motive members. Our vocalist Nathan Gearhart did guest vocals with a thrash metal band from Phoenix, called Motive, they performed Fucking Hostile by Pantera. R.I.P. Dimebag, shred some licks with Chuck Schuldiner in the spiritual world, and we will meet again. My deepest condolences go to the family and friends of the victims in this berserk asinine shooting.

I have been wondering something about Pantera fans for a while now. They always talk about how heavy and insane they like thier music, but they whined that far beyind driven and TGSTK were too heavy or insane. I remember a fan saying that phil screamed way too much on TGSTK. It just seems strange to me how they complain that the music got too heavy, but say that they are fans of really heavy music, which is what pantera was to a point. Any feed back into this would be appreciated. I would think that they would enjoy a song like suicide nt. pt. 2 if they are into insane music, not say It was too much. That is the type of stuff I have read on Pantera fansites.

Let´s see.. Every band has it´s "evolution"? And every band get new fans and every band loses old fans by developing sound / style etc.?

I personally don´t see this as Pantera related thing.. And as a huge fan I still can´t decide do I like TGSTK or not. FBD is not that "insane" after all. :err:

Yeah, a lot of fans of pantera have said that thay weren't sure about TGSTK. What is it about that album that so many fans aren't sure about? I personally don't think it is much different than the others. I have never owned any of their albums but have heared clips of the music on the net. Also, do you think that TGSTK is more heavy and insane than Far Beyond Driven?