Should Opeth make another album like...

Should Opeth make an album similar to Damnation??

• Total voters
No.
While Damnation has some great tunes, its proof that Opeth is not truly Opeth without the heaviness. The tracks just missed the energy that their main cds radiate through every beat. Damnation showed that Opeth can make mellow albums, not that they should.
BUT in saying that, if they do it woudnt be the worst thing that could happen. Each Opeth album is very different to the rest, so a "sequel" to Damnation would still be equally new and unique. Dont expect just another Damnation, as Opeth never give you the same music twice.

No They Should Not Because I Don't Think Damnation Is As Good As Any Of Their Other Releases Except Deliverance. It Is Good But To Me It Got Boring Fast. I Want Another My Arms Your Hearse With Demonic Growling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mirrored Ghost said:
I can't even begin to compare Damnation with the other albums simply because it's a totally different style of music, to say the least. If I was to list my fave Opeth albums, I would have to leave Damnation out because of that fact.
why does them being different mean you cant compare them? flying a plane and eating a pile of dog shit are 2 completely dfferent things, but i know which one i prefer.

MasterOLightning said:
Mike's tired of the folksy style. His current interests/influences are in prog rock. This was pretty evident in Damnation. I would prefer to see a side project maybe in the future, perhaps with Steven Wilson in full time. I'd like to see songs similar to Patterns in the Ivy II. It was kind of depressing, and that's an element that is usually missed in Opeth's music. As for letting fans down, I think that by making it a side project, Opeth fans aren't getting a soft Opeth album and they won't be disappointed as long as the heavy stuff keeps coming.

As others mentioned, a folksy style album having songs similar to those on their heavy albums could be interesting. I think I would like that as well but the point you make (side project with SW) is another great idea which I wouldn't mind hearing. Contrary to how others might feel, I like what SW contributes to the band, I think they work well together but that's a topic that's been done to death :D.

ChrisEmerson said:
why does them being different mean you cant compare them? flying a plane and eating a pile of dog shit are 2 completely dfferent things, but i know which one i prefer.

What a fabulous analogy Chris!!! :tickled: Although, it doesn't work for me because I think I would find eating a pile of dog shit to be quite the unpleasant experience :yuk: . You see, I enjoy both metal and soft acoustic songs equally. It all depends on the mood I'm in, so let's try this...

Flying a jet vs. flying a helicopter - On one day I might want to fly with lightning speed through the air, while the next day I might just want to mellow out and glide. :Spin:

But you should still be able to put one in front of the other. What sort of soft songs do you like more? The Damnation ones or the rest of 'em? And don't pull that one day... the other.... crap again ;) .

RavenousDaemon said:
But you should still be able to put one in front of the other. What sort of soft songs do you like more? The Damnation ones or the rest of 'em? And don't pull that one day... the other.... crap again ;) .

:D

Now that's a totally different question. Totally.... and it's too late where I'm at right now to get into answering this. So nyah nyah, not telling. :p

Well come on now, some people get sleepy ya know??? Make you a deal. I'll come back with the answer after coffee tomorrow. :)

*passes out*

For me, what sets Opeth apart from many other bands I hear, is the feeling they convey through the music and lyrics. Although Damnation was mellow, it still has this tremendously melancholic and dark feel at times with moments of lightness or airy passages throughout, like all their other albums.

For me, Damnation only differed to their earlier albums in tempo, aggressiveness and song length. It was still as dark as hell and gives me those same goosebumps I hear when listening to practically all the other Opeth albums (except Deliverence which I'm kind of sick of at the moment.)

And remember, Mikael has stated that they're unreliable, so everything they put out moving forward should be nothing if not a surprise.

Therefore, I'd be happy for them to make another album like Damnation, though I am really anticipating this cultish concept that Mikael has hinted at.

Nuh-uh

I miss the days of Morningrise too much, although liking the direction opeth take on Masters Apprentice in particular, more eclecticism, but it should be only on one or two songs where they switch so effortlessly and quickly between the parts.

Maybe a heavier album than Deliverance would be good :D

Damnation is neither the album that got me into opeth nor my favourite, i believe it is a decent , one off album. More than one damnation would make it less special (aww).

Well, actually, although I am still waiting on that answer.... I did kind of faint about 5 hours ago from lack of nourishment :lol: but other than that 5 minutes there I have been completely awake!

MG, you said after your coffee, I'm sure you have had a cup by now. So please say your answer!!!! :erk: Wait why do I care about it so much...?

I don't think any of Opeth's new material should resemble it's old material in the way that could make one say "this is like Damnation". I think Opeth should go forth and not repeat the past....

He doesn't want to make Damnation II.....

RavenousDaemon said:
Well, actually, although I am still waiting on that answer.... I did kind of faint about 5 hours ago from lack of nourishment :lol: but other than that 5 minutes there I have been completely awake!

MG, you said after your coffee, I'm sure you have had a cup by now. So please say your answer!!!! :erk: Wait why do I care about it so much...?

Hey Ravenous. Hehe, it's funny calling you that because Ravenous is my screen name on another board. ;)

Anyway, yeah so I wound up picking up a cup of coffee this early afternoon at Ihop, then I proceeded to go to the mall. After that, I got into a fight with my neighbors :yell: so now that you know what's what, I have your answer.... I think, heehee...

It's hard for me to answer this. The softer non-growling songs on the death albums for the most part serve as interludes between the heavy songs, which I think is great by the way..... it takes you up and down this emotional path. There are some exceptions, for example - Face of Melinda, To Bid You Fairwell and Harvest just to name a few. Damnation on the other hand has songs that are more structured as complete songs to stand on their own in order to make a complete album. Therefore, I would have to say overall I would prefer the Damnation songs for that reason alone.

However, I do love the folksy softer sounding tracks in the heavy albums just as much but for different reasons..... as interludes as I stated above.

Is that good?? :)

It will have to suffice, even if u are wrong in your opinion :p .

Anyway, its 10:15 pm right now and i am looking forward to finally going to sleep :lol: .