Should Opeth use female vocals?

Lordenlil

FROST
Apr 19, 2002
Norway
vill.no
How about that? Would that be cool or not - some female vox here
and there... it's not like it hasn't been done a lot before..

Personally I think it would be cool, but only in a song or two, and
not too much.

I don't know.. This came up a while ago.

I have a feeling that it might take something away from the music if there are female vocals. I love female vocals (Theatre of Tragedy, the Gathering etc) but Opeth are something different and should probably remain a male domain.

Yeah, I mostly agree... but like Satyricon did on their latest is great.
There is hardly any female vox at all, but when they are present it
kinda makes it all better because of that element..

I think it would be awesome if they did, and applied them to the right moments of the song, not just some hot chick wailing throughout the song, thatll be ball-less, but for a real emotional part maybe a female vox doubling Mike would sound coool.

Well, I was surprised about the Nevermore track(s) that feature female vocal...something in the same reign would be nice on an Opeth cd. They're so diverse in their musical styles/genre so I don't think a female backing vocal (or just for a short period of a song) would hurt or make them look any different than how most people look upon them now.

Not many bands in this genre feature bossanova rythms, jazz, classical, slap bass etc. etc. and blend it all in as beutifully as Opeth does...(my guess is, they'd make the female vocal part fit in JUST as nicely...) if it where ever to happen...

:lol: Aren't we all so conservative! I've written that I wouldn't like it, and most people have said 'maybe', as long as it's only used very sparingly....

Maybe we should be more willingly to see Opeth experiment a bit more?:D

Originally posted by requiem
:
Maybe we should be more willingly to see Opeth experiment a bit more?:D

Indeed...!

Though I think this double cd is a nice (new) idea instead of another "regular" album...maybe if we're lucky, they'll read this and think about the posibility of adding female vocals...i mean, they DID have Steve Wilson sing on BW park... (not that he's a female or anything) :D

No matter how you look at it. if you ADD female vox, you must ADD
something to the music, not take something away...
Basic mathemathics :loco: :p :lol:

Originally posted by Black Heart
Dumbo, take away something from the music in its emotional thing... It wouldnt be the same....
hmmm now that I think of it, I dont want them to add female vox... wouldnt be the same Opeth at all..

It's the same 1+1 = 2
1+1 is not 0 :lol:

Well, Black Heart....what about Orchid, that had an all piano track...and they have so many different segments in their music that features rythms (influences) from so many different musical styles...what's the big deal about adding a female vocal, other than the fact that it's a "new" member...they basically have had a changing lineup, and again Steve Wilson featured on Bleak on vocals what's the difference if they choose a female vocal next time?

I won't say "wouldnt be the same Opeth at all" unless they start adding techno elements or something like that...!

Lordenlil: you're wrong! Cutting things down to bare minimum can ad something musically....adding things (like vocals) to an instrumental track can take away the MUSIC part of it (giving that we seperate the vocals and music and call music music, and vocals vocals). You get what I'm saying?

No, I'm not. But for that post to be serious... well... u do know my
musical history and should know I would never ever claim what I
did for real :D

*slaps Noga's ass harder* Oh yeah BABYYYY!!!!

*SLAP*
*SPANK*
*SLAP*
*SPANK*
*SLAP*
*SPANK*
*SLAP*
*SPANK*
*SLAP*
*SPANK*
*SLAP*
*SPANK*