Should You Upgrade to Pro Tools 12? What are the costs and consequences?

So there is literally no reason to buy outright. You're basically paying them for 4.5 years of subscription to be able to use an outdated version of the software forever.

Had I known that this was going to be the future of Pro Tools I would have made a better effort to learn Reaper back at pro tools 9....

Which version of PT do you need to qualify for a yearly subscription?

You *have* to upgrade to 12 this year. If you don't, you will *never* be able to upgrade your software.

Avid said:
New Pro Tools software purchases come with a one-year annual upgrade and
support plan. After one year, you have the option of renewing your plan to
continue receiving the latest features. If you choose not to renew, you
can continue using your software indefinitely at the latest version you
have, but will not be able to upgrade it at a later time.

"I have Pro Tools | HD 11, but am not yet on an upgrade and support plan.
Why should I upgrade to Pro Tools 12?"

"...This upgrade also includes an annual upgrade and support plan, so
you'll also receive all future updates, upgrades, and priority support for
one full year, renewable annually. You have until December 31, 2015 to get
on a plan to upgrade your perpetual license and stay current for the next
12 months; otherwise, you will no longer be able to upgrade your software.
And if you want to get early access to Avid Cloud Collaboration for Pro
Tools, you will need to upgrade to Pro Tools 12."

Had I known that this was going to be the future of Pro Tools I would have made a better effort to learn Reaper back at pro tools 9....

I ended up selling my copy of PT 9 and switching to Reaper 4. (A license for Reaper includes 2 versions, so I'll get a free upgrade to 5 later this year. $60 for a license that basically covers 5-6 years? Yes please! :D )

It took PT another 3 years to come out with an x64 version with one of the worst rollouts ever (as far as compatibility, aren't some people *still* waiting for AAX 64 plugins?).

A year and a half later, and they're forcing people to pay them money every year if they ever want to upgrade their software.

After I am done with my current project, I think I'm going to try to switch over to Reaper. Learning all the commands of a new DAW seems really daunting.

After I am done with my current project, I think I'm going to try to switch over to Reaper. Learning all the commands of a new DAW seems really daunting.

I'm actually currently pre-writing some "Get Started for metal/modern production" ebook/video series in Reaper which includes basics and setting up Reaper the way you want. The Reaper manual is already pretty clear, but being huge, I remember the beginning was tiring so I'm thinking about making clear and concise videos that get to the point with no off topic or loss of time. I'm waiting for v5 and then some time to identify the needs ! I wouldn't mind helping PT-> reaper switch if I knew exactly what guys are after !

What I would suggest is try reaper (you can try out the version for free forever with no auto-theft crap) and then tell me what bugs you coming from PT. You can all PM me at inheritancestudio@gmail.com with a breakdown of what and it can help me. Anything from edit tools, bus routing, editing, whatever. There is little PT can do that reaper can't, and 20 of the top 25 requested features in PT are already in Reaper on the other hand.

I do have Reaper, I've had it for awhile just haven't spent much time with it. I would be interested in seeing some videos on basics to help me switch. First thing that bugs me right off the top of my head is that the zoom for shift scroll is different. I might be able to change it. Just haven't looked into it yet. Thanks.

^ It's actually a love/hate relationship I have with the scrolling behavior in Reaper. I have tried changing it, right now it does make sense to me, but this is a very easy fix

Jesus. So instead of upgrading for $200 and getting 2-3 years out of a version, I'm FORCED to pay $200 per year (TRIPLE what I would normally invest), or else I'd have to re-buy the whole thing for $800.

Fuck. Fuck you Avid, Fuck you in your big, stupid, slow, clumsy, greedy, smelly assholes.

I love Pro Tools. Been using it for 7 years almost every day. I hate Avid. It's like they're purposefully trying to make us take our business elsewhere. And I'm real close.

This is fucking annoying with those subscriptions. Adobe does it which means if you stop paying, you cant use your files anymore. Maxon with cinema 4D does it and since the beginning you can wait for a Year until the bugs of a new Version are fixed halfway. They want our Money on a regular basis but all you got is crap. If you have to Pay they don't have the hurry for great or Fully working feautures. Hopefully something will change this in the Future, probably some of them should fall Hard on their back...

Adobe's doing it, and AutoDesk is doing it too with AutoCad. I hate this model. For a LONG time it was pay an initial investment for the software, then a proportionate fee to "upgrade" your software every 2 or so years. Now they're forcing us to pay original prices every time. Is this to offset the costs of pirating? Seems to me like all it's doing is enraging the lower level customer base and making it harder for independent freeelancers to afford legit software.

Steinberg is still doing it the good old way so far. I hope they won't take that route.

I've been using Pro Tools since I first started recording in 2007, and this is the final fucking straw for me. I bought PT11 almost as soon as it was released, and it is by far my favourite DAW: stable as hell, lots of AAX plugins now - not upon release though - and it allows me to transfer sessions seamlessly between my Mac laptop and tracking PC.

What they're doing is complete garbage, and as soon as PT11 is outdated, I will be switching to Reaper or Cubase.

Adobe does it which means if you stop paying, you cant use your files anymore.

If I've understood it correctly you get to own the perpetual license if you own it now and sign up to the $200/year program. $200 a year isn't THAT bad if you're making money off the software - Pro Tools is completely indispensable to me. So I will be upgrading any day now.

If I've understood it correctly you get to own the perpetual license if you own it now and sign up to the $200/year program. $200 a year isn't THAT bad if you're making money off the software - Pro Tools is completely indispensable to me. So I will be upgrading any day now.

The distinction is that it isn't $200 per year. It's $200 *every* year. You can't let your subscription lapse.

You used to be able to upgrade to the next version for $150 every few years when they came out with a new one. You could even skip a version if they didn't add enough value. Now you have to stay current.

I'm not really up to speed with this yet, so I'll try and follow.

If I don't 'subscribe' to PT12 for $200 a year, I can no longer upgrade, only buy a new license outright for $899 (or whatever the cost is).. is that right?

The distinction is that it isn't $200 per year. It's $200 *every* year. You can't let your subscription lapse.

You used to be able to upgrade to the next version for $150 every few years when they came out with a new one. You could even skip a version if they didn't add enough value. Now you have to stay current.

I've never got a PT update for $150, but that's maybe because I've been one of the guys who has been holding out. But yeah, I'm currently a PT10 user and I can get 11 and 12 for $200, which isn't that bad. After that I'll have a year to see how the subscription plan works out and if there are any notable updates.