Should You Upgrade to Pro Tools 12? What are the costs and consequences?

I REALLY want to bitch about this too, but I just started using a CRM for my studio (which I'm happily paying $55/month for). This CRM might pay for itself this year, but I sure as fuck know Pro Tools will.

I just upgrade to PT 10/11 this month, so we'll see how long I hold out on PT 12 for. I just don't see myself having the free time or patience to make a DAW switch any time soon.

It really does suck to fucking suck.

If I've understood it correctly you get to own the perpetual license if you own it now and sign up to the $200/year program. $200 a year isn't THAT bad if you're making money off the software - Pro Tools is completely indispensable to me. So I will be upgrading any day now.

haven´t heard of this. you´re right, 200 a year isn´t that bad... if it´s only this. but as ic became more and more developer who do this the monthly fees get bigger and bigger. As a freelancer who knows when there will be bad months and than you got a problem. therefore i like the old way. buy something and own it. more transparent to me.

i like the old way. buy something and own it.

+1

I'm not into the subscription style payment form of today's software developers at all.

OT: For example I need Photoshop for multiple things and hate the fact that I have to pay for it monthly.
And - as I imagine it will be the case with all who offer such payment methods - you can ONLY subscribe to Adobe CC to get Photoshop. :bah:

And eventually you need to be connected to the internet to use it. If you use past some duration (I remember it being like six months?) it will start with annoying popups telling you that you have 31 days to connect to the internet OR the software will stop working UNTIL you do connect. Come on, what the hell is that?

Overall, this is making my move to Cubase more likely. That, or just stick it out with PT10/11 for the foreseeable future.:bah:

I REALLY want to bitch about this too, but I just started using a CRM for my studio (which I'm happily paying $55/month for). This CRM might pay for itself this year, but I sure as fuck know Pro Tools will.

I just upgrade to PT 10/11 this month, so we'll see how long I hold out on PT 12 for. I just don't see myself having the free time or patience to make a DAW switch any time soon.

OT: I'd be curious to hear more about the CRM stuff.

I haven't really used PT11 yet. Still waiting for VCC. Will likely give it a shot next month :p

Pardon my ignorance but what is CRM ? It is a strong acronym in my daily job and it bugs me I can't stop reading it this way :)

Same as people posting before me : I think 200 per year is not so bad when you make money out of it, but there should be a choice. Again if after a year you can get to perpetually own a product you could always sell it.

Pardon my ignorance but what is CRM ? It is a strong acronym in my daily job and it bugs me I can't stop reading it this way :)

It stands for "Customer relationship management", and it's software you use to track all of the "deals" in your sales pipeline. I'll explain more in my reply Jordon below.

OT: I'd be curious to hear more about the CRM stuff.

So for those who don't know, it's basically software that I use to track every single quote that is send to me from the quote request form on my website.

This software keeps track of how much $ worth of quotes I send out every month/quarter/year, as well as how many of those I "close" on or how many fall through.

It's an experiment I'm doing for my studio and blog this year to track a few things.

I'm very interested in the conversion numbers between quote requests that I get, and bands that actually end up working with me. I'll end up writing an entire article about this, but so far this has made me realize how fucking easy it is to let a $5,000-$10,000 project slip through your fingers just because you failed to follow up properly.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, so feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this more.

$200 a year may not seem bad now...

BUT...

+ another $150 - $200 a year for Slate...

it will only take one or two more developers to do this for it to be too much for the average engineer and we will be back to this exclusive rich kid only scenario.
I understand that for people who are making regular money form their studio this won't be a problem but the fact remains that since plugins and the like have become more affordable more people stood a chance of getting in on the action.
It could potentially mean that all the money I have saved over the years into my hobby will be waisted with little to show for it within a few short years.

We are going backwards here.

I don't use Pro Tools, and now I never will.

Cubase all the way.

It stands for "Customer relationship management", and it's software you use to track all of the "deals" in your sales pipeline. I'll explain more in my reply Jordon below.

So for those who don't know, it's basically software that I use to track every single quote that is send to me from the quote request form on my website.

This software keeps track of how much $ worth of quotes I send out every month/quarter/year, as well as how many of those I "close" on or how many fall through.

It's an experiment I'm doing for my studio and blog this year to track a few things.

I'm very interested in the conversion numbers between quote requests that I get, and bands that actually end up working with me. I'll end up writing an entire article about this, but so far this has made me realize how fucking easy it is to let a $5,000-$10,000 project slip through your fingers just because you failed to follow up properly.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, so feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this more.

Oh I see. I did not know it was named like that.
I have been demoing Billings Pro and it can do some basic tracking like this. Are you using something more advanced than can do both invoices and advanced tracking of them ? I would be highly interested !

Oh I see. I did not know it was named like that.
I have been demoing Billings Pro and it can do some basic tracking like this. Are you using something more advanced than can do both invoices and advanced tracking of them ? I would be highly interested !

Billings Pro is an invoicing software. This is actually nothing like that.

It's a company called Close (http://close.io/)

Judging by the site, you wouldn't think this could do shit for recoding studios. It's actually more for business to business sales (on a much large scale than what I do), but I'll make a screencast of how I use it later on. It's fucking awesome.

Glad to see this methodology applied here - all we need next is for engineers to start using some kind of Scrum setup. I've been really tempted to start logging all projects on Trello. I use NationBuilder as my CRM and it's definitely a huge step up over any kind of email/notes/facebook chats/texts hodgepodgery.

^
Trello seems well thought indeed. I have found myself using the integrated functions of billings because they are good enough for basic projects. Like I can pre-set "recording : guitars day 1" and have it created as a line in the bill at the end. So while you are recording guitars, you can basically tick boxes and track notes, and the bills at the end will follow with the correct rates you have set up. I also like that billings have a timer integrated for these, so you can be accurate if needed (and it can round up/down depending on your preferences).

With more complicated projects, Trello could definitely help. I could see it involving the "leader" of the band you are mixing for in the project, creating entries for whatever you need, or are doing, and have them updated without a big effort from your side.

Steinberg is still doing it the good old way so far. I hope they won't take that route.

They considered it though. Made me nervous, I guess they sent out a survey to some users and it had that question on it.

I am not loyal enough to any daw not to dump it if they go subscription. The model is stupid.

At least with slate you get something to show for the subscription, pro tools just bends you over without lube.