Show me your best non-sampled/replaced kick

iacntspell

New Metal Member
Mar 9, 2012
So I'm having a really hard time learning how to record and process a drum kit on my own. I understand a lot of people prefer to rely on replacement to get killer kick tone, but I'd really like to learn how to record and process a naturally awesome kick sound before I move to sampling/replacement (if I ever do replace, I'd at least like to be able to make my own samples). Anybody think they've recorded a really killer kick sound on their own? I'd love to hear some examples to have something to shoot for.

^ :D :D :D

Not agree with you tho ;)

Well if we are talking about anything heavy, I fail to see how natural kicks can compete with sample replaced ones. Natural just doesn't work for heavier styles.

Well if we are talking about anything heavy, I fail to see how natural kicks can compete with sample replaced ones. Natural just doesn't work for heavier styles.

Samples have to start as natural kicks at some point, though, right? I'm not averse to the idea of eventually sampling and replacing, but I'd like to learn to build my own samples.

Yes, but samples are recorded individually, with the purpose of being samples. That is a huge difference compared to trying to make natural kicks played by some drummer who physically is incapable of playing the kick consistently hard enough on double-bass, etc. in a metal production.

As far as making your own, you just EQ/compress/etc. the samples you took however you want until it sounds good. There is no magic answer for that. Some advice I can give is to just make some raw samples, no processing, put them in your replacer of choice and trigger the shell with it in the mix. Tweak it until it sounds how you want. You can either just roll with that or you can save the channel settings and apply them to the original samples and re-export them with the processing so those samples are now printed with that EQ/comp/whatever. I have a drum editing client that usually asks me to make samples as well from a sample session he does with the drummers he records, and he usually wants them processed so they aren't raw - that's how I do that for him. So far it has worked out nicely as he's always happy with the samples.

I'm not sure what exactly you are wanting to learn but there is this video that shows how to make samples:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks. Who's the band in the first track? That's a killer song.

Beautiful Collision out of Chicago. It's two brothers. They are a fantastic band, we ended up recording 3 hours of original material for the live record....all of it fantastic. It was really hard breaking it down to 11 songs.

Maybe they can by sounding more... natural! Tue Madsen often mix with the original kick in his productions (sometimes blended with a sample) and the result always sounds heavy as fuck.

I had the chance to work with an awesome drummer and even his playing was really fantastic, the kick hits were not sounding the same of course. And THIS is what I love about natural kicks. You can blend it with a sample just for regularity in the high-end while keeping all the movements in the body. Sure it doesn't work for all music - especially ultra fast double kicks - but my preference is doin' that way for most Metal genres and Rock. It's about taste really.

Here's an all-natural kit for heavy music - no samples of any kind. Usually I'll use homemade samples for kicks on heavy stuff, but for this project we wanted something more raw. It still had to be big and defined though.

It takes a great drummer to pull off heavy music without samples, but it can be done. A well-tuned kick drum and a well set-up kick pedal do wonders as well. This particular kick is a Shure Beta 91 and a Yamaha Subkick into a Vintech Dual 72.

Here's an all-natural kit for heavy music - no samples of any kind. Usually I'll use homemade samples for kicks on heavy stuff, but for this project we wanted something more raw. It still had to be big and defined though.

It takes a great drummer to pull off heavy music without samples, but it can be done. A well-tuned kick drum and a well set-up kick pedal do wonders as well. This particular kick is a Shure Beta 91 and a Yamaha Subkick into a Vintech Dual 72.

Man, that's cool.

Good combination of body and beater. What mic(s) were you using?

Ta, obv they're the two that make up the stereo sample. I had Josephson c42s baked in for ohs, 421 in the hole, d6 half in and 52 on the skin. There was also a ldc about 3 feet in front. I don't remember what combination of mics and volume I used. I just rearranged all the mics at the end of the session to mic it up. Doubt I used them all lol.