Shredders check it out!

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
Get the new Paul Gilbert album, Get Out of My Yard...it's a true guitar instrumental album. Great stuff...very original, interesting and inventive...not the same old neo classical, sweep picking wankfests like most guitar instrumental albums. Try it...you'll like it...trust me.:headbang:

Also, if anyone is interested...the newest Andy Timmons album, Resolution is brilliant. Chock full of gorgeous rich guitar tone and great emotional playing.

I will have to check that Paul Gilbert album out. You ever listen to Chris Poland's solo stuff? It is outstanding.

I will have to check that Paul Gilbert album out. You ever listen to Chris Poland's solo stuff? It is outstanding.

No, I haven't...I'll have to look for it.

It's hard to find artists who can make an instrumental album well composed and interesting all the way through without sounding like some gigantic, repetative ego stroke or just another Yngwie clone. Hey, he did it all on Rising Force back in '83...what more can you say?

Steve Vai, for example, is more creative, but his stuff can get a little lost at times. I find him to be one of the biggest talents out there, and I love his playing, but I don't love his albums.

No, I haven't...I'll have to look for it.

It's hard to find artists who can make an instrumental album well composed and interesting all the way through without sounding like some gigantic, repetative ego stroke or just another Yngwie clone. Hey, he did it all on Rising Force back in '83...what more can you say?

Steve Vai, for example, is more creative, but his stuff can get a little lost at times. I find him to be one of the biggest talents out there, and I love his playing, but I don't love his albums.
I agree. Instrumental albums are tough to pull off. I haven't listened to Vai in a while but, he really seemed to be trying to hard to do something different. Instrumentals should have a certain groove without being too "pop" sounding. Two good friends of mine are in an instrumental only band. I think they rock. Check them out. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=3352297

Get the new Paul Gilbert album, Get Out of My Yard...it's a true guitar instrumental album. Great stuff...very original, interesting and inventive...not the same old neo classical, sweep picking wankfests like most guitar instrumental albums. Try it...you'll like it...trust me.:headbang:

Also, if anyone is interested...the newest Andy Timmons album, Resolution is brilliant. Chock full of gorgeous rich guitar tone and great emotional playing.

I'm a huge fan, actually Get out of my yard is on my top 5 albums of 2006,
got to see him play monday at the Grove in Anaheim, he smoked Satriani & Petrucci, if you get a chance to go to the G3 it's worth it, Paul has Bruce Boulliet playing with him, they play Scarified & Scit Scat Wah from Racer X,
the show starts with the Get out of my Yard solo :OMG: fucking awesome, he does rusty old boat, straight through the telephone poll, hurry up & the curse of casttle dragon, plus a mr big meddley, addicted to that rush/green tinted sixties mind.
I'll have to check out Timmons, never got around, just the stuff with Danger Danger, good guitar playing.

I got to see Poland on the Guitar Evolution tour here in San Diego, Poland played his stuff from OHM awesome tunes, he played with the Alex Skolnick trio &
Marty Friedman was headling with his Music for Speeding album.

I like Paul Gilbert, he's got a style thats all his. And your right about not being that neo classical crap that all of the Yngwie clones play, like that hack Joe Stump.

Another shredder that I enjoy that has put out great solo stuff is James Murphy, being known for death metal he doesnt stick to that genre and comes up with some really incredible stuff

I like Paul Gilbert, he's got a style thats all his. And your right about not being that neo classical crap that all of the Yngwie clones play, like that hack Joe Stump.

Another shredder that I enjoy that has put out great solo stuff is James Murphy, being known for death metal he doesnt stick to that genre and comes up with some really incredible stuff

Yeah...Stump is a boring Yngwie clone...he's got great chops, but...snore.

James Murphy played with Testament, didn't he? I wasn't thrilled with his work there.

It's tough to carry an entire instrumental album.

Yeah...Stump is a boring Yngwie clone...he's got great chops, but...snore.

James Murphy played with Testament, didn't he? I wasn't thrilled with his work there

It's tough to carry an entire instrumental album.

I met Stump when he played with Joey Belladonna, and let me tell you he is an asshole--a primadonna prick. Nice equipment though

He's played with Testament, Death, Obituary, and
others

I met Stump when he played with Joey Belladonna, and let me tell you he is an asshole--a primadonna prick. Nice equipment though

He's played with Testament, Death, Obituary, and
others

Another one is Vinnie Moore. I think he's outstanding, but his instrumental stuff can be a real snore...super repetative but he usually has at least one diverse stand out track to show what he's really capable of.

Steve Morse has some great releases, but again suffers from the same old licks over and over. He has two solo stages...the releases before Southern Steel that are like the Dregs and then Southern Steel and after. His best release IMO is Stressfest. Definitely check it out...not boring at all. He's one of my all time favorite players, but again...it's tough to carry an entire guitar instrumental album.

Another one is Vinnie Moore. I think he's outstanding, but his instrumental stuff can be a real snore...super repetative but he usually has at least one diverse stand out track to show what he's really capable of.

Steve Morse has some great releases, but again suffers from the same old licks over and over. He has two solo stages...the releases before Southern Steel that are like the Dregs and then Southern Steel and after. His best release IMO is Stressfest. Definitely check it out...not boring at all. He's one of my all time favorite players, but again...it's tough to carry an entire guitar instrumental album.

I'm not very familiar with Steve Morse's solo releases but he's kicked my ass many times live with DP... I absolutely adore his tone and his style of playing...