Shrike :(

Awwwww doggie! I'm glad he has such an awesome mom, I know you're taking excellent care of him and he'll be running around in no time. I can't even imagine how hard it is to look at him and know he hurts and know he's confused. He's a strong lil guy *hugs for you and Shrike*

Oh Karen!! im sorry to hear that! Pewr Shrike!!
104i04g.jpg

You guys are awesome!! Thanks for everyone for the wishes and good vibes!

He is showing really good signs that he can move his legs and may be able to walk again!! YAY!!!
In order to take him out, or move him around, I have to tie a sling around his back legs and lift his back area so he can walk on his front legs (like a wheel barrel) and in the first few days he couldn't even move his legs, they were completely paralyzed, but now he is moving his legs back and forth when i walk him with the sling, and he has feeling in his toes which is AWESOME!!!

I really hope my pooch will be able to walk again... I already know and depressed about the fact that he may not be able to be the same active dog that he was, but at least he'll have good life with long walks...

Cara: <3

And yes Izabel, Shrike is VERY young and very healthy, but beagle-type dogs are more prone to back injuries than other dogs... Much like Labs are more likely to have bad hips as they mature... A split disc can sometimes happen... even for healthy active humans... I'm happy he is so healthy though, because the vet told me his recovery will be faster due to the fact that I always kept him on good diet and healthy life :)
awww :)

<3 you guys!!

Yay! That is great and very relieving news to hear. Still sucks a lot that he and yourself have had to go through this, but it's all gonna be fine :)

My mom had to have a disc removed years ago...it made her shorter :loco:

OMG, Karen! I've been AWOL and just read this. Poor Shrike!!! It's good that he's little so you can sling him, and it's clear that he has the bestest Mommy evar to take such good care of him. Does he need cookies or chewby toys? Let me know if I can help! I hope he gets better fast. :erk:

You guys are awesome!! Thanks for everyone for the wishes and good vibes!

He is showing really good signs that he can move his legs and may be able to walk again!! YAY!!!
In order to take him out, or move him around, I have to tie a sling around his back legs and lift his back area so he can walk on his front legs (like a wheel barrel) and in the first few days he couldn't even move his legs, they were completely paralyzed, but now he is moving his legs back and forth when i walk him with the sling, and he has feeling in his toes which is AWESOME!!!

I really hope my pooch will be able to walk again... I already know and depressed about the fact that he may not be able to be the same active dog that he was, but at least he'll have good life with long walks...

Cara: <3

And yes Izabel, Shrike is VERY young and very healthy, but beagle-type dogs are more prone to back injuries than other dogs... Much like Labs are more likely to have bad hips as they mature... A split disc can sometimes happen... even for healthy active humans... I'm happy he is so healthy though, because the vet told me his recovery will be faster due to the fact that I always kept him on good diet and healthy life :)
awww :)

<3 you guys!!

I'm so SO very glad to hear about his turnaround!
I was in tears when I read your first post - I know how much Shrike means to you because I feel the same way about my little Penny. They're our best friends..or fuzzy little children, hehe :)

I wanted to let you know that my dog went through a similar spell. She had a seizure, and we think when she fell out of her chair she slipped a disk in her back. She couldn't walk well for about a week afterward, falling over and stumbling, but she got through it. She's still a bit shakey, and her tail will never stand up and curl over her back like it used to, but she's still here. They told us surgery was not really an option due to her age and medical conditions, so we just have to keep her comfortable and safe from further slippage.

Btw, I'm sure the vet told you this, but when Shrike fully recovers remind EVERYONE who enters your home not to throw toys in a way that will make him want to jump up. Our vet told us that jumping will further screw up the discs in their lower back and make things worse (this happened when some of my little cousins visited).

Keep in mind that my dog is 15 - Shrike is super young, and I bet he will make a full recovery :)

You are both in my thoughts - Me and my Penners are sending hugs and lots of love!!

I really love you guys <3 :)

Lesa: thank you :)

Things are better!!! He is showing more signs that he is moving his legs when I carry him with the sling, and when he eats, I support him slightly
but he can stand on his own (a little clumsy, but he is standing!)
I'm starting to feel better about this!! I think he will be ok antd will definitely be able to walk again, but I will know more after his appointment to remove his staples next week :)

Iris <3

It's so amazing and cute how helpless our pets look when they are sick/ injured.... and Islay licked Shrike 2 days ago!! I think she knows he's not well, awww!