Simple questions

Hindu

Dec 31, 2005
Opeth said that they don't really like Night and silent water, they find it boring. Why the hell do you think they played and recorded it live? And who decides what song are gonna be recorded for a live disk, the band or the "producers" who make the investment?
IMO, Nectar would have fit perfectly, but thats just me.
Again sorry for my bad englisch

I think its difficult to tell when Mike is being sarcastic sometimes.......I thought it was a little odd how he slated it before playing it in Nottingham, it had a strange effect on the crowd, i thought....it dampened the atmosphere a little and people didn't quite know what to with themselves after hearing the frontman be so cutting about a song they were playing.

Then when they played it at the roundhouse, it was amazing. The crowd response was better and he didn't slag it off previously. Im not saying its because of this (the sound WAS better afterall), its just an observation.

Opeth said that they don't really like Night and silent water, they find it boring. Why the hell do you think they played and recorded it live? And who decides what song are gonna be recorded for a live disk, the band or the "producers" who make the investment?
IMO, Nectar would have fit perfectly, but thats just me.
Again sorry for my bad englisch

Actually Mike stated - quite recently - that he liked playing it live, although
he thought it was their worst song before.

So it's not so strange that they play it nowadays!

And of course it's Opeth that decides what songs to play. The
Roadrunner producers may have suggestions and some demands,
like the length of the concert and stuff, but ultimately I'm pretty sure
it's up to Opeth.

Mikael absolutley hates the album version of TNATSW. However, after last years chronology shows he realized that the song shed new light when played live, so now it's one of his favorite songs.

I thought he just hated it because of bad memories associated with recording it, not because the song was bad.

I thought he just hated it because of bad memories associated with recording it, not because the song was bad.

hmmm, i havent heard that before but it could be true. He has said many times that he cant stand listening to the album version of the song. im guessing it's because of the way the guitars ended up sounding in the song. i love the live and album version and im very happy it's going to be on the dvd.