Since its almost December and we've all heard most of everything...

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
Post your favorite album of 2007 and a few comments as to why you chose that over all the others. Try and limit your post to one album you chose as your favorite and an analysis of why. If you haven't heard everything that came out this year, that's cool... I haven't either. But you've obviously listened to somethinig released in 2007 and have an idea of what your favorite might be.

Mine is probably going to be Nightwish - Dark Passion Play. Tuomas just brings the best elements of modern orchestral sounds, heavy metal, and pop and just blends them to perfection. You can feel the passion and ammount of work that went into crafting every single melody on that album. I love every song on that album and strongly feel its the best Nightwish album.

Okay, your turn. By the way, Glenn needs to post his favorite in this thread as well :) I think this thread will help us all see what we value in music.

THERION - "Gothic Kabbalah" was my album of the year. Why? It's a simple answer. It's a fucking amazing album! There are no proper words to descibe it's greatness and I'm not going to go on a rant of cliche compliments.

THERION - "Gothic Kabbalah" was my album of the year. Why? It's a simple answer. It's a fucking amazing album! There are no proper words to descibe it's greatness and I'm not going to go on a rant of cliche compliments.

Might as well be my post. I'm basing this on the simple fact that it's the album I've listened to more than any other this year, which is a lot, and I'm still not tired of hearing it. Brilliant.

Might as well be my post. I'm basing this on the simple fact that it's the album I've listened to more than any other this year, which is a lot, and I'm still not tired of hearing it. Brilliant.

you all know my answer. :Smug: ...and it's not simply because I'm a fanboy either. I really like this album and I've played the hell out of it and it never gets old.

Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon is a close second. It's difficult for me to take it out of the cd player at times. I just can't get enough.

Nightwish - not so much. Yeah, it's great but it just doesn't take me on the same journeys I got with the first several releases. And it's not a Tarja vs. Annette thing either. I like both of their vocal styles. I just like the earlier songwriting more.

I'm currently waiting for my copies of the new releases from Pagan's Mind, Gamma Ray, Helloween and several others. So my thoughts may change by Christmas. But for now... it's THERION! :worship:

Ditto. I ONLY base my best of year lists on listens. People making these poll posts should change the text to read something like, "What's your MOST PLAYED album(s) this year?" I think it's easier to go back and think about which new albums you've listened to this year the most, as opposed to dissescting every nuance of the albums themselves to determine who really made the "best" album of the year.

For me, the top of the mountain is still Therion - . Most listened to, and enjoyed album this year. Threshold - Dead Reckoning nearly gave them a run for their money though.

I only have six albums this year that top my playlist above all others:

Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
Threshold - Dead Reckoning
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Amaran's Plight
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Trouble - Simple Mind Condition

Other playable mentions include: Nightwish, Circus Maximus, and Cage

Ditto. I ONLY base my best of year lists on listens. People making these poll posts should change the text to read something like, "What's your MOST PLAYED album(s) this year?" I think it's easier to go back and think about which new albums you've listened to this year the most, as opposed to dissescting every nuance of the albums themselves to determine who really made the "best" album of the year.

VERY good suggestion. :cool:

Manegarm's 07 release, Vargenstenen is easily the best album of 07 to me. Ziltoid and Municipal Waste are a close 2nd though.

Whew, hard to say, but when I make my final decision as to which CD is #1 (if I even try), Gothic Kabbalah would be one of the few in contention. :kickass: Damned shame we won't be seeing them for a while.....or ever...over here.

Mine is probably going to be Nightwish - Dark Passion Play. Tuomas just brings the best elements of modern orchestral sounds, heavy metal, and pop and just blends them to perfection. You can feel the passion and ammount of work that went into crafting every single melody on that album. I love every song on that album and strongly feel its the best Nightwish album.

I couldn't agree more. This has to be the best they have done, In My Opinion. It is so well crafted it makes you wonder where Tuomas gets the inspiration. All aspects of the album are awesome, even down to the song order. Song Order, something that some bands do not take into consideration when putting there album together. Once you see them preform the songs from "Dark Passion Play" you will understand. My advise is to buy the collector's edition listen to disc 1 all the way thru, then pop in the disc with just the orchestra listen to it, the play disc 1 again, and you will see.

I also have to mention DARKWATER-"Calling the World to Witness" Theis disc is a very close second to "Dark Passion Play" in fact maybe only 1/1000 of point separation, this disc is also in the same category as Dark Passion Play, Try It , You'll Love it.

I haven't decided which is top cd so far but its one of these three

Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Machine Men-Circus of Fools

I think it's easier to go back and think about which new albums you've listened to this year the most, as opposed to dissescting every nuance of the albums themselves to determine who really made the "best" album of the year.

It's certainly easier (if you have the data), but I still think the data-based list answers a different question than a "best"/"favorite" list. That's because I could rate a brilliant, challenging, atmospheric record that I rarely listen to (say, only on cold winter nights) a lot "better" than a nice rocking album that I listen to all the time because it makes good background music while I'm working.

And this is coming from the biggest advocate of data-based listening analysis in the world; last night I just ran an analysis to show the bands that I've spent the most time listening to in the last 12 months. But as an example, note that Helloween ranks well ahead of In The Woods... on this list, even though the "best" Helloween album isn't even close to the "best" In The Woods... album for me.

And when I read threads like this, looking for new music, I'm far more interested to find an album that someone thinks is brilliant than one that they simply listened to a lot.

Code:
Band | Hours of Listening | Times Seen Live | Favorite Album | Album Rating

Novembre        | 27.0 |  0 | Novembrine Waltz         | 9.0
Helloween       | 26.9 |  1 | The Dark Ride            | 7.0
Rage            | 21.1 |  1 | The Missing Link         | 8.0
Iced Earth      | 21.0 | 19 | Iced Earth               | 9.0
Disillusion     | 19.9 |  1 | Gloria                   | 10.0
Iron Maiden     | 19.4 |  6 | The X Factor             | 9.0
In The Woods... | 18.0 |  0 | Omnio                    | 10.0
Therion         | 16.5 |  3 | Theli                    | 9.0
Skyclad         | 15.8 |  0 | Jonah's Ark              | 9.0
The Gathering   | 15.6 |  2 | How To Measure A Planet? | 9.0