Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Daniel Gildenow

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Jorn Lande

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • None of them

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Made my choice. Of this bunch, I go for James LaBrie.

I love a lot of other vocalists, too, like Russell Allen (DUH!), Mikael Akerfeldt, and lately, Hansi Kürsch.

I've got to go with LaBrie as well. He would be trumped only by Allen and the greatest singer of all time, Steve Walsh.

And right on Rose, Hansi is superfanmagical! I still get chills listening to The Eldar from NiME.

MC Pee pants said:
well, being that this is the symphony x forum, and people talk about how great russ is all the time, he's probably know's peoples view in that respect. And if he put russ there, wouldn't most people vote for him, thus nullifying the vote?
yeah. that was actually a good move on Luis' part.

L. Knight said:
Since Roy Khan received a lot of votes, I'll check out Kamelot. Any album suggestion?

I like The Black Halo the best, followed by Epica and Karma (in that order). I haven't really heard much from them before that, but I definitely say any of those three would be a GREAT place to start.

HeroBoy said:
And right on Rose, Hansi is superfanmagical! I still get chills listening to The Eldar from NiME.

Hansi took me a lot of getting used to at first. I actually didn't like the way he sang, when I first heard it, between the strange and totally unexpected style, and the fact that I had trouble understanding his accent. (I'm not very good a lot of times with understanding native English-speakers when they sing, either!)

But eventually I got into it, and I really came to realize how talented, unique, and emotive he really is when he sings. I think my favorite singing job of his that I've ever heard is on "A Past and Future Secret". Something really gets to me about that one. :)

Daniel Gildenlow for me. Love Jorn Lande then Roy Khan probably in that order; it was bloody hard putting Jorn Lande second to anybody on this list... but Gildenlow is amazing, and a great songwriter and lyricist too. My fav singers would have to be these 5 though in terms of who's influenced me:

John Arch
Andre Matos
Bruce Dickinson
Geoff Tate
Jon Oliva

Definitely Daniel Gildenlow. That man can do amazing things with his voice, he's so versatile. He is one of only a couple of singers who can really touch me emotionally.

Rose Immortal said:
But eventually I got into it, and I really came to realize how talented, unique, and emotive he really is when he sings. I think my favorite singing job of his that I've ever heard is on "A Past and Future Secret". Something really gets to me about that one. :)

Hansi is the man. His voice definitely is an aquired taste, but like you said, it's very unique and emotive. I love his work with both Blind Guardian and Demons & Wizards.

The Metal Chick said:
Hansi is the man. His voice definitely is an aquired taste, but like you said, it's very unique and emotive. I love his work with both Blind Guardian and Demons & Wizards.

I trust that Hansi's good no matter where he sings...but how does the music for D & W compare to BG?

Let's agree that there's a large list of metal singers, and that this thread will consist in everyone posting their favorite one. I could mention the great Michael Kiske and Fabio Lione too, so we can go on forever.
Thanks for the recommendations, m8ys!

My favorite vocalist is Mikael Akerfeldt.. (together with Russ ofcourse), and their both not on the list.. but I'll pick James LaBrie!

By the way, check this out, interview with Peter Lindgren:

Are there any artists you'd like to work with some day?

I've got many idols, but most of them are far beyond our reach. Stevie Wonder for instance. It'd be cool if he'd play on an Opeth record, but I don't think that would happen.

Do you think he's familiar with Opeth?

No, I don't think so. Somebody did tell me Will Smith is an Opeth-fan, but I don't think he's the kind of person we'd like to work with.

Will Smith?? :loco: :D

James LaBrie's voice has matured so much over the past few years. It really shows well on his side projects more than DT i think. Frameshift and Mullmuzzler being great examples. However, I also put Daniel Gildenlow in the same category. His vox are unmatched as far as style and writing, imo. The song Fandango from Remedy lane is a great example. Roy Khan being a close 2nd to those guys, at least in regards to the names mentioned.

Voice to watch out for: Michael Eriksen of Circus Maximus. These guys absolutely SLAYED at PPVI. Already have me begging for another release from them...

I'm surprised to see Labrie with the most votes, even if I don't find his voice as irritating as some people, except when he tries to sound aggressive, and agree that he's done some of the best work outside of DT. I voted for Gildenlow, he is a master at using his voice as an instrument and can bring me to the verge of tears on songs like Undertow.

rockyracoon said:
Voice to watch out for: Michael Eriksen of Circus Maximus. These guys absolutely SLAYED at PPVI. Already have me begging for another release from them...

Hell yeah. Definitely one of the best performances of the weekend. And they were so nice when I met them. :)

Rose: D&W is a hybrid of Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. Dark, great vocal arrangements, and heavy as hell.