slow down, guitars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ People defend this concept because
1) clients want an engineer who can make them sound their best (or even better than their best)
2) editing will make your mix sound WAY tighter than not editing, and no-one wants to have a ridiculously sloppy mix with their name on it.

anyway, this is a halfyear old thread and every possible opinion has been expressed multiple times. I really don't think there's any more to add to this.

Not playing your instrument on YOUR recording in no way has anything to do with wanting an engineer that will make your band sound better. When I fuck up on a solo, its not the engineers problem, while at the same time setting the guitar tone for that solo isnt my problem, its on the engineer. Its a simple concept really.

And once again, that is _____NOT_____ editing, that is simply not playing your instrument. A fucking chimpanzee can play a sweep at half speed...

Just my two cents

The way I see it. It is the producer/engineer's job to know all these techniques and to know when and how to use them and it is up to the artists to say if they are ok with this.

But also, the artist is merely a client paying for a service and if you've been sitting there trying to track the same riff for hours and your just not happy with it, it is up to the engineer to have a plan B. And as shameful as it sounds, if a band walks into a studio to track a record they cant play, as long as they pay for all the time the engineer spends fixing them, that is their choice.

I guess this is what separates wannabe musicians from real artists. Sad but true.

this thread is absolutely baffling.

anyone who's soapboxing about cheating has OBVIOUSLY NEVER HEARD ANY OF THE RECORDS JOEY HAS PRODUCED.

ridiculously hard gridded slate samples, pod farm, and DELIBERATE hard flat line auto-tune. and these records sell a gazillion copies, and he does it because labels pay him a gazillion dollars to do so.

if a label approached you, as an engineer and a professional, and said we will give you x-sum of dollars to take these 16 year old christian scenekids and make them sound like superstars and robotically tight musicians. would you say, "NO WAY DEWD, it's all about the vibeee!"

also, bearing in mind especially that 99% of these record sales are dumb little kids. this is an issue of BUSINESS, a concept that IMO joey has grasped better than most of the people on this forum.

whether or not this is a sad state of affairs, you can debate til this thread is 75 pages of hosspucky, but the fact is joey is fucking loaded and has achieved this with a pod, a fireface, and a set of nearfields.

anyone who's soapboxing about cheating has OBVIOUSLY NEVER HEARD ANY OF THE RECORDS JOEY HAS PRODUCED.

ridiculously hard gridded slate samples, pod farm, and DELIBERATE hard flat line auto-tune. and these records sell a gazillion copies, and he does it because labels pay him a gazillion dollars to do so.

if a label approached you, as an engineer and a professional, and said we will give you x-sum of dollars to take these 16 year old christian scenekids and make them sound like superstars and robotically tight musicians. would you say, "NO WAY DEWD, it's all about the vibeee!"

also, bearing in mind especially that 99% of these record sales are dumb little kids. this is an issue of BUSINESS, a concept that IMO joey has grasped better than most of the people on this forum.

whether or not this is a sad state of affairs, you can debate til this thread is 75 pages of hosspucky, but the fact is joey is fucking loaded and has achieved this with a pod, a fireface, and a set of nearfields.

Werd

That is exactly the mentality that has ruined the music industry, the metal scene particularly. Bottom line... if you CAN'T PLAY IT, and you find a way to put it on the record anyway, making people THINK you played it.... YOU ARE A LIAR... PERIOD.

I'm not attacking the engineers and producers who have fallen victim to what the label wants. I'm attacking the guitar players who don't practice enough and want someone else to make them sound better... Here's a hint... TURN OFF THE COMPUTER, PICK UP YOUR GUITAR, AND PRACTICE THE DAMN THING! If you think guys like Jeff Loomis or Chris Broderick have EVER done anything like what the OP is getting at, you are DEAD WRONG. You want to SOUND like a better guitar player?... GO PRACTICE, so you can BE a better guitar player.

That is exactly the mentality that has ruined the music industry, the metal scene particularly. Bottom line... if you CAN'T PLAY IT, and you find a way to put it on the record anyway, making people THINK you played it.... YOU ARE A LIAR... PERIOD.

I'm not attacking the engineers and producers who have fallen victim to what the label wants. I'm attacking the guitar players who don't practice enough and want someone else to make them sound better... Here's a hint... TURN OFF THE COMPUTER, PICK UP YOUR GUITAR, AND PRACTICE THE DAMN THING! If you think guys like Jeff Loomis or Chris Broderick have EVER done anything like what the OP is getting at, you are DEAD WRONG. You want to SOUND like a better guitar player?... GO PRACTICE, so you can BE a better guitar player.

this thread will go on forever, so i need to point out that we aren't necessarily in disagreeance, because like i said, whether or not this is a sad state of affairs doesn't matter, it's just the REALITY of things. this reality may suck hard, but I don't blame an ENGINEER for cashing in on it. guitarists, yes, and i'm sure joey rolls his eyes at kids rollin up to the studio trying to bust out riffs that they can't quite play to his tightness specifications and requirements (which if you listen to his records, are relentless).

so bottom line, guitarists that approach the studio with the riffs they can't actually play should be stricken with shame.

HOWEVER, the guilt and shame should not fall on the engineer for trying to make the best of what he's been forced to work with, especially in a professional situation, and when you're as high up as joey is. like i said, listen to some of his stuff, (see "attack attack", "the devil wears prada") and you'll be most likely nauseated, but you'll atleast see what i mean.

this thread will go on forever, so i need to point out that we aren't necessarily in disagreeance, because like i said, whether or not this is a sad state of affairs doesn't matter, it's just the REALITY of things. this reality may suck hard, but I don't blame an ENGINEER for cashing in on it. guitarists, yes, and i'm sure joey rolls his eyes at kids rollin up to the studio trying to bust out riffs that they can't quite play to his tightness specifications and requirements (which if you listen to his records, are relentless).

so bottom line, guitarists that approach the studio with the riffs they can't actually play should be stricken with shame.

HOWEVER, the guilt and shame should not fall on the engineer for trying to make the best of what he's been forced to work with, especially in a professional situation, and when you're as high up as joey is. like i said, listen to some of his stuff, (see "attack attack", "the devil wears prada") and you'll be most likely nauseated, but you'll atleast see what i mean.

Agreed... I think we're eye-to-eye here.

So I looked up "the devil wears prada" (never heard them before) and I lol'd. Christian? hahahahaha and for the love of the flying spaghetti monster! The singers teeth are white as fuck but why won't he get a front tooth? Is this his "look"?

millivanilli.gif

Logic 9 has a feature called varispeed that works pretty well. ive only used it a few times but it seems to keep the quality of the track when sped up pretty well. as for nuendo i am not sure

Joey, pro tools does what you are wanting... flawlessly, seamlessly... it's called Elastic Audio, comes built-in the PT.. make the jump. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.