Small clippeth from bob, RME test.

Jun 2, 2005
Okay, first test with the RME fireface 400, short clip, AD drums, reason bass, POD XT into the FF 400 and that's it.. 2 synths but that's just because i can't do without them :p

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=281113

"RME test 1"

Im having a hard time getting everything set up right, and getting things to sound like it was on my M-audio PC.. it's funny, you would not think it would make such a difference, but it really does.

Short clip, my ears have taken waaay too much abuse over this weekend, so it's probably too loud, too much bass etc.. could use some feedback though!
I really hope im moving towards the right direction again, it's so hard to tell at the moment.. so some fresh ears would great... lol.

Oh btw.. is it normal that i have to master fader below zero now?
It seems that with the M-audio, the input of the instruments was spot on and i could always keep my master fader at zero, or a bit above.
With the RME FF400, i need to keep it well below zero now, as all of the input comes in quite a bit louder it seems?

Cheers guys!

Brighter one sounds awesome!
Power of the RME finally working? ;)

Finally JB... took ME a while, most of it were user errors to be honest, now it's a matter of translating, or stop translating audio.. as it seems the M-audio was not a fair representation and translated it all a bit mid-happy.. im also hearing things now i've never heard before, that is pretty cool.

For continuity purposes, I'd lower channel faders to keep the master at 0.

No real reason why I guess, but I like to tailor the mix to fit the master at 0 rather than the other way around.

My exact feelings as well.. however i question if we are correct, it just feels right but does it do anything?

keeping all my faders at zero and doing levels with my plugs in to keep it under -6 actually made alot of difference!

I use this technique as well with the exception of -6. I limit each track at 0 just to tame peaks.
-6 is a great idea for headroom on the master, though. Thanks!!!