pr30
m201

and a million other mics....decided I don't have the time, so I cut it down to:

SM57

md421II

md421N

Audix D2

toms.JPG

there's some blank audio on those tracks, so it'd probably be best to just download them and import them into your DAW

what's with that weird looking 57 ? those mics all sound good to me, with the audix having some extra highs

didn´t like the md421 n very much which i found a little bit surprising as i thought it was closer to the 421 II soundwise.

the winner is....421 II (big surprise...;)). sm57 very good, too.
but i´m quite sure you can get a very good sound from all of them. the drummer will have a much bigger influence on the sound than the choice between a 57 or a md 421.

It seems that I need 421 II. It is a clear winner fo me. I was surprised that D2 sounded so bad compared to the others. It just has something weird in the upper mids and is so thin and unfocused in the bottom. I am disapointed cause I use D series on toms.

I liked the 57 and the 421 II.

Be interested to hear the others next time you get a chance Lasse. Thanks :)

Should have thrown a condenser in the bunch. I've tried mk012 and they sounded surprisingly good. Obviously you won't track with km184s but you can take the samples with them if you like the result.

Beta 52 sounded like crap when I tried it, btw.

421II and 57 are my favourites too. I use 57s on smaller toms and a transformerless 57 on larger ones. Works for me. Cheers for the shootout!

421 n was my favourite, but to be honest they all sounded good, just different flavours of good.

Sounds like the 421N has seen better days to me - or the filter is on. That's the old tuchel version right?
Those older 421's do suffer from loss of bass due to the diaphragm hardening over time.
Thanks for doing that. Might need to get me some of those Granelli 57's.