SNARE PROBLEM!!!??

chuck1703

MYSPACE.COM/BURNINGSKIES
Apr 8, 2006
Bristol
Just in the middle of mixing an E.P for a band at mo. But having one issue, The snare! Is it me or does it sound dead to you, I've tried juicing it up with a bit of reverb (as well as your usal comp, EQ etc). But within the mix it just sounds dead rather than full, anyways y'all get my idea now, its titled 'perfect picture liar' (it has a steven slate and sneap gog file samples blended in).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=641757

any suggestion will be much apprecaited,

Chees guys.

Appears you have a problem with manners mate, I'm just a little need of advice, instead I get a pathetic comment like that. Thanks mate

Ah ok, cheers mate.
Nope those are his flat out pigs, he likes his pigs as you can hear, lol.
The verb i'm using is a basic standard one within logic, the space designer. I actually didnt compress it that hard though in honesty. I think it could be a case of boostin and raisin some frequencys to make it sit better within the mix, question is which ones ya know?

I like to boost 200hz for punch, about 5khz or so for the high end of the snare (but yours sounds fine in that regard).

Maybe try comping with a different ratio or attack/release, then? Keep the attack around 15-20ms, and keep the release fairly low, then drop the threshold to taste.

I think the main problem is it needs a little more attack/hi end. Sounds kinda muddy. Might be from all the 'verb. Hi pass that 'verb or somethin'.

Edit: Nvm, that was my headphones making me think that. It does sound a little too thin. Needs more beef.

sounds a tad boxy and dry. Try using my sample Snare7 Z2 on a STEREO track. And don't be afraid to mix a bit up.

More importantly, your low end is a bit undefined. You mixing with a sub? Tell me your monitoring setup.

I use some old school Wharfdales, basically there not for mixing, there voiced. So as you can imagen pain in the ass. I have to listen to my mixes thorugh like 3 sets of speakers (should do anyway). But I do agree on the bass, bit muddy for my liking and not enough attack. its not a final mix as such yet though, just that the snare is bugging me and want that fixed.

P.S Great samples steven, Just gettin used to em, dont worry i'll give justice, lol.

(I went to input the samples into my Exs24, but it doesnt state which hits are the left and the right??

Cheers

Sounds like your whole mix needs more highs. Boost everything from 4000khz and up, it will make the mix sound more "expensive". Also try to separate the instuments with EQ/reverb, especially in the low end (but no reverb on the low end ;) ) BTW the drums are way too low.

to me it doesnt sound solid enough
as if the bottom head was snapped when record ( i know its sampled)
i think raise around 500hz and give it some power

Is it just me or the snare lacks a lot of low end and has almost no attack?
Show us a screenshot of the eq you are applying. That might help :)

no worries man, my snares already have a good amount of eq and comp, so there is a good chance if you are re whacking them that you might be overdoing them, try leaving the raw sample on a fader and just pushing it up! But before anything, you need clear up your monitors, get something nice and flat with a sub to get the extra lows.