Snax - FX

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Ok... So I've been listening to clip, after, clip, after clip. On here, on other sites, on the tube and more...

Apart from that djenty stuff... Can someone please show me that this thing is capable of awesome high gain tones.

E.G:

Can someone show me some:

Great Recto tones,
5150 ala Testament Formation tones,
Nevermore TGE tones

from the Axe FX???

I would love to be convinced about this thing, but I'm still feeling it to be short a few dollars, especially on the Mesa tones. It just can't nail the low mid grind and power. It always has that digital upper mid nonsense and thin lowend.

Cheers guys :)

Ok... So I've been listening to clip, after, clip, after clip. On here, on other sites, on the tube and more...

Apart from that djenty stuff... Can someone please show me that this thing is capable of awesome high gain tones.

E.G:

Can someone show me some:

Great Recto tones,
5150 ala Testament Formation tones,
Nevermore TGE tones

from the Axe FX???

I would love to be convinced about this thing, but I'm still feeling it to be short a few dollars, especially on the Mesa tones. It just can't nail the low mid grind and power. It always has that digital upper mid nonsense and thin lowend.

Cheers guys :)

IMO, having owned one, it can't do it when going direct.

Cheers guys!! I don't plan on buying one, just curious to it's merit, it seems like a cool Swiss army knife of tones, but sadly it doesn't quite cut it.. I noticed you say it doesn't sound like the amp etc direct... How could it be improved???? I just see a lot of guys on here, you know, axe fx + sd blah blah, and I here the djenty stuff working, but most other stuff doesn't convince me as much. I really want to hear a cool comparison, for my mindsake anyways :s

i get mine in two weeks! be prepared for some comparisons. i also think there hasnt been much on this foruma bout the axe which is kindof weird, everyone speaks of this thing as the holy grail...

i get mine in two weeks! be prepared for some comparisons. i also think there hasnt been much on this foruma bout the axe which is kindof weird, everyone speaks of this thing as the holy grail...

IMHO it is the holy grail;

-if you want/need a ton of different sounds and your budget is limited
-if you can't make any amp noise at your recording location
-if you hate the "indirect" feeling of software amp sims while playing
-if you're looking for the best guitar sound without using an amp/cab/mic combo

if you own a few good amps, and have a place where you can record them without being disturbed or without disturbing others, there's no need for an axe. i love mine and i am 100% satisfied with the tones but if i had the chance i's rather record real amps, because pluging in and having a perfect sound that can be recalled everytime you want is just kinda boring...:D

cheers
S.

I would also like if someone could post some nice rectifier/jcm800/5150 tones. I've been thinking of an axefx for a long time because I can't record my 5150 where I live.

IMHO it is the holy grail;

-if you want/need a ton of different sounds and your budget is limited
-if you can't make any amp noise at your recording location
-if you hate the "indirect" feeling of software amp sims while playing
-if you're looking for the best guitar sound without using an amp/cab/mic combo

we used pod xt pros live in 2003 and in my whole "career" have loved and used modelling amps over real amps - so i guess axe will be just perfect for me i guess ;-) i also love the idea of having a stereo sound live (thats even more important to me). and btw, meshuggahs live tone last year blew me away,
basically the first time i heard every note a guitarist played. thats what i want!

i love the ideea of having the exact same tone in the studio AND live.
your amp/modeller is after all your insturment :headbang: and its part of your expression as a player.

also i just cant stand lounds amps, they scare me :lol:

I think axefx is the future for live sound in metal tbh. 100% consistency night to night, light, don't have to spend time micing up. Amps = win for the studio when you've got the time, gear and room to get them sounding really great.

wanna trade all your amps for my axe!? :D

ok! lets do that : number of amps i own at the moment : 0. (i just sold my diezel) gimme your email, ill zip'em for you
now gimme that axeee!! will ya?? :lol:

basically all amps i use for reamping are technically not my amps.
but i have them available...

hear this guy

but he uses a real cab so...
i think that if you are going to use a real cab you can get pretty amazing tones

Last edited by a moderator:
ok! lets do that : number of amps i own at the moment : 0. (i just sold my diezel) gimme your email, ill zip'em for you
now gimme that axeee!! will ya?? :lol:

basically all amps i use for reamping are technically not my amps.
but i have them available...

damn a diezel would look really good in my home studio:lol:

I've owned one for a long while now... since before Meshuggah, Cynic, Bulb, etc. started using them...

For any type of cleans or effects, it's possibly the best piece of gear you could use. Very, very good for effects-heavy mellow prog rock type stuff, but...

If your holy grail of high gain guitar tone is the kind of tones Sneap gets on the albums he works on, it's not going to get you 100% there.

Going direct with impulses, it's lacking... it takes a lot of tweaking to get something good out of it. It's hard to get the balance right... to get it aggressive enough without being too harsh or smooth enough without being too dull. I think it's way easier to get good results by micing up a cab.

A/Bing it through a poweramp with a 5150 with both going into a Mesa 4x12, it's still lacking... it's definitely closer than when going direct, but even with a lot of tweaking a lot of the amp sims have something weird in the mids going on that just doesn't sound quite right. I even had high hopes that it would be able to compete when going through poweramp and cab and micing up, but unfortunately now that I've tried it, I don't think it's in the same league.

I still love it for cleans and effects, but being real about it... it's a lot of money to dedicate solely to cleans and effects, especially when most of us on here already have great plug-ins for effects for recording, and much of that stuff isn't 100% necessary live. Could just get away with using a nice delay pedal (like the Eventide Timefactor) live... and cleans, well... honestly a lot of modeling hardware & software can get great clean tones nowadays. Many people get really great clean tones out of PODs.

This is coming from someone who loves playing purely clean prog rock and jazz stuff just as much as metal. I haven't 100% made up my mind yet, but I'm pretty sure I've decided on selling it finally. I think I'd be better off using that money to get a few other amps to have around for variety and using something less expensive for effects for live playing.

I've compared the Axe-FX to pretty much every amp out there since Nov 2007, and the thing that makes the Axe-FX win every time (yeah yeah, for me, personally, don't be upset now) compared to tube amps, is that there's ALWAYS something that pisses me off when I'm tweaking an amp. The tonestack isn't really there, I need a boost/od pedal in front, It blows a power tube suddenly when I turn on standby, I get russian and French radio because the tubes are getting microphonic, and the list goes on. All amps are awesome with the perfect guitar/pedal and shit. Some amps sound awesome with an EMG, but not with the LP baritone with a Lundgren. Then there's the sweet spot, when the amp sounds better than awesome. Too bad that the volume is too fucking loud, so I can't even enjoy it unless I get the hell out of the room. 30 seconds and my ears are ringing for an hour.

With the Axe-FX I've cured my amp GAS. Forever. Sure, all amps are different, even the same brand/model might sound different from each other, so an A/B comparison might not work, but I've been tweaking an amp several times, just to realize that the guitar was plugged into the Axe-FX. And vice versa.

No, I'm not gonna do any "awesome 5150/mesa/whatever" tone examples, but to achieve an album tone (insert favorite) you need to know how the original tone was created. Then you could be very close within 15-30 minutes with the right IR.

Joshua, cool that you kept it for so long anyway. I guess you can get close to all your money back if you sell it. ;)

I've compared the Axe-FX to pretty much every amp out there since Nov 2007, and the thing that makes the Axe-FX win every time (yeah yeah, for me, personally, don't be upset now) compared to tube amps, is that there's ALWAYS something that pisses me off when I'm tweaking an amp. The tonestack isn't really there, I need a boost/od pedal in front, It blows a power tube suddenly when I turn on standby, I get russian and French radio because the tubes are getting microphonic, and the list goes on. All amps are awesome with the perfect guitar/pedal and shit. Some amps sound awesome with an EMG, but not with the LP baritone with a Lundgren. Then there's the sweet spot, when the amp sounds better than awesome. Too bad that the volume is too fucking loud, so I can't even enjoy it unless I get the hell out of the room. 30 seconds and my ears are ringing for an hour.

With the Axe-FX I've cured my amp GAS. Forever. Sure, all amps are different, even the same brand/model might sound different from each other, so an A/B comparison might not work, but I've been tweaking an amp several times, just to realize that the guitar was plugged into the Axe-FX. And vice versa.

No, I'm not gonna do any "awesome 5150/mesa/whatever" tone examples, but to achieve an album tone (insert favorite) you need to know how the original tone was created. Then you could be very close within 15-30 minutes with the right IR.

Joshua, cool that you kept it for so long anyway. I guess you can get close to all your money back if you sell it. ;)

Yeah, probably will be able to... If it was less expensive, I'd keep it for sure. It's just that I could get a lot of other things with that $1800.

I don't think it's that close to nailing the amps it models though. The 5150 especially doesn't sound very much like the real thing when you are A/Bing them through the same poweramp (the 5150's poweramp) and same cab right there in the room. To me, it just doesn't sound as good as the amp and cab. I wish I thought otherwise. I've had it for a long time and tried out a lot of different things with it... I felt like I've given it a fair shot.

That's not to say it won't work for anyone. I think for people who play mostly clean in a jazz, fusion, or mellow, spacey prog rock type band, it would be an awesome all-in-one box. The effects are really good and you can dial in just about any type of clean tone you could want... but then again, I could get a used Roland JC120 for $450...

Yeah, probably will be able to... If it was less expensive, I'd keep it for sure. It's just that I could get a lot of other things with that $1800.

I don't think it's that close to nailing the amps it models though. The 5150 especially doesn't sound very much like the real thing when you are A/Bing them through the same poweramp (the 5150's poweramp) and same cab right there in the room. To me, it just doesn't sound as good as the amp and cab. I wish I thought otherwise. I've had it for a long time and tried out a lot of different things with it... I felt like I've given it a fair shot.

That's not to say it won't work for anyone. I think for people who play mostly clean in a jazz, fusion, or mellow, spacey prog rock type band, it would be an awesome all-in-one box. The effects are really good and you can dial in just about any type of clean tone you could want... but then again, I could get a used Roland JC120 for $450...

Sell me your 2/50/2 for cheap :)

dumb question but,

User's Bulb and Sora1 dont use impulses do they? they are sticking to the cabs inside axefx?

Ok... I listened to that tube clip and thought it was ok, but I'm still waiting to be wowed I guess...
After hearing that, I think to JohN Petruccis current rig, all these sounds, more space so its a dick in the arse there, but still more organic sounding, as I guess it would right lol...

So I guess my question is... The AXE Fx works great live, but have any of you found it better than a tube amp in the studio, compared to its counter part???

I mean, I would like to hear some of Ola's recto stuff through the AXE Fx just for the sake of it etc haha!