A little help for me and a little toy for you guys!

Hey Erkan, besides the DI file you could also post your reamped version of it -I mean only the raw distortion chain, whatever amps, screamers and modelling plugs you normally use. Adjust the distortion to sound as "decent" as you can get and post the raw file. I could then try to make some cab impulses for you to try out and even so that the tone resembles some tone you dig, but without copying the whole plugin chains. I guarantee good results only with my own amp and setup but we could try how it works with your stuff. If it doesn't work too well, I don't post anything. I have only 2 days to toy with reampings etc. before other works but I'd try this with great interest.

PS. And I'm not trying to sell anything here. Right now it strongly feels to me that for example impulses are only for one-time use, thus very "custom" and not for all.

Greets,

Mikko

Hey Mikko! That sounds like a very interesting idea and even if it doesn't work well, it would still be awesome to just try it.

So you mean I should set some distortion up and reamp my DI file, then send you that distorted file? Sure, I can do that after work tomorrow but the problem is that I haven't figured out my "favorite" distortion yet, so I'll probably just slap on the same distortion that is on the link I posted to the song this DI comes from.. "PinkBearOfDoom.wav".

Very interesting and thanks for doing this!

Alright, i think the little extra warmth comes out of the ferox tape saturator. The cobra impulses don´t have this massive lowend like the catharsis ones, but with the low button kranked (7170) it should enough. another thing is that i raised the dynamics button in boogex even the tone contol a bit. This gives a more natural feeling imho. Ahh and no need for gclip, you just can set the input of soloc right (It haven´t clipped) only boosted 3db. No post processing!

Cool! Thanks man, I will try your chain and definately those Framus impulses you posted recently. :)

I'm starting to get a decent idea of what to change in my current chain from all the contributions in this thread... awesome job guys!

Well Mikko...I for one will be glad when people start running my cab enhancer through its paces...Hopefully with enough input from everyone we can finally get a usable real time cabinet solution....

km

Hey Mikko! That sounds like a very interesting idea and even if it doesn't work well, it would still be awesome to just try it.

So you mean I should set some distortion up and reamp my DI file, then send you that distorted file? Sure, I can do that after work tomorrow but the problem is that I haven't figured out my "favorite" distortion yet, so I'll probably just slap on the same distortion that is on the link I posted to the song this DI comes from.. "PinkBearOfDoom.wav".

Very interesting and thanks for doing this!

Yes post the distorted wav and let's start cooking and hope it turns out some usable hyde!

Option:

Beside your normal clip you can also post some insane (or think tones like Hendrix burning and jumping on his strat) kinda clip with random squeals and open string hits with the same distortion setting as you used in your normal clip...I just wanna look the peaks, wider frequency range and overall "behaviour" – but this is not necessary as we can sure start with one normal distorted clip.

And you can send it directly for me if its not much usable for others. Think I’ll drive that wav also through a different sections of my own amp and listen what happens.

Well Mikko...I for one will be glad when people start running my cab enhancer through its paces...Hopefully with enough input from everyone we can finally get a usable real time cabinet solution....

km

I'll sure check that out. So much developments these days and the only modelling device I have used during years is my Pod (which is still nice too) so you bet I'm enthuastic!

Sorry Mikko, couldn't get any distortion for you. I started tweaking and just like always I get buried after a while and just lose my track and concentration. I get frustrated kinda fast with guitars since it's so fuckin' hard to get the tone that's in your head. Guess we'll have to skip this process you were talking about.. but basically, you are saying that it is possible to create an impulse of the whole chain which would recreate most of the sound of that chain when it's slapped on a DI track?

Sorry Mikko, couldn't get any distortion for you. I started tweaking and just like always I get buried after a while and just lose my track and concentration. I get frustrated kinda fast with guitars since it's so fuckin' hard to get the tone that's in your head. Guess we'll have to skip this process you were talking about.. but basically, you are saying that it is possible to create an impulse of the whole chain which would recreate most of the sound of that chain when it's slapped on a DI track?

Yes, trying to put up new tones is harder than copping older ones and usually it don’t work out as easy as you've first heared in your mind (…or freaking cans), I know that and oftenly post some quick documentary clips of those sessions too, heh.

Well, but if we have a reference tone of a band, guitarist or a guitar alone clip posted here - that should be a lot easier – besides laziness there isn’t much more involved in this system than distortion and eq (pre/post guitar, preamp, middle amp, post amp, post impulse or the impulse curve itself).

I don’t say it takes all or any of this eq:ing but I assume that every guy who posted a clip in this thread could easily cop every others tone only by adjusting the basic amount of distortion, then eq:ing it and finally modding it more to their tastes. Those final mods could of course include other fx like compressors, even common impulses catch only their eq. I guess Nebula is the only exception to this and I remember how I once sampled quite a huge chain of plugins at once, including a compressor, with good success. (All clips I have posted on this forum this far have been made with Voxengo Deconvolver demo though.)

So we can get a better picture on all this with time. I was a bit worried if you already posted something cause I found myself repairing my sons scooter all day long. I’ll finally try some of those modelers too what you guys have used here even my LP with Duncan JB isn't the best fit for djenty tones.

Cheers and happy tone/bear hunting!

Yes, trying to put up new tones is harder than copping older ones and usually it don’t work out as easy as you've first heared in your mind (…or freaking cans), I know that and oftenly post some quick documentary clips of those sessions too, heh.

Well, but if we have a reference tone of a band, guitarist or a guitar alone clip posted here - that should be a lot easier – besides laziness there isn’t much more involved in this system than distortion and eq (pre/post guitar, preamp, middle amp, post amp, post impulse or the impulse curve itself).

I don’t say it takes all or any of this eq:ing but I assume that every guy who posted a clip in this thread could easily cop every others tone only by adjusting the basic amount of distortion, then eq:ing it and finally modding it more to their tastes. Those final mods could of course include other fx like compressors, even common impulses catch only their eq. I guess Nebula is the only exception to this and I remember how I once sampled quite a huge chain of plugins at once, including a compressor, with good success. (All clips I have posted on this forum this far have been made with Voxengo Deconvolver demo though.)

So we can get a better picture on all this with time. I was a bit worried if you already posted something cause I found myself repairing my sons scooter all day long. I’ll finally try some of those modelers too what you guys have used here even my LP with Duncan JB isn't the best fit for djenty tones.

Cheers and happy tone/bear hunting!

Well in that case, wouldn't it work if someone who knows and has the gear to make djent-ish guitar tones actually posted a single track of their tone which you would then make an impulse out of?

For example, I personally like Sora01, TheDude and Javi Perera's djenty guitar tones. They have all put up great clips before with the right amount of "metallicness" which djenty tones usually have, but without being just painfully ear fatiguing.

If it's ok by you Mikko, and if it's ok by any of those guys, I could talk to one of 'em and see if they are willing to share a guitar track for you to experiment with and see if it's possible to recreate the tone by making am impulse out of it :)

Well in that case, wouldn't it work if someone who knows and has the gear to make djent-ish guitar tones actually posted a single track of their tone which you would then make an impulse out of?

For example, I personally like Sora01, TheDude and Javi Perera's djenty guitar tones. They have all put up great clips before with the right amount of "metallicness" which djenty tones usually have, but without being just painfully ear fatiguing.

If it's ok by you Mikko, and if it's ok by any of those guys, I could talk to one of 'em and see if they are willing to share a guitar track for you to experiment with and see if it's possible to recreate the tone by making am impulse out of it :)

Yes, that's what we originally planned...you post me your DI file reamped with your distortion setup and I'll try to make you impulse to get close to the tone you pick.

Here is the deal: I've fucked all cracked plugins and I'm going all freeware now.

I came here to call you a good boy.:devil:

I'm probably the worst with sims on this forum. Call me amp-spoilt.:Spin: And I don't even have an amp. So yeh, when someone comes to me with an amp I get overjoyed.:hotjump:

I came here to call you a good boy.:devil:

I'm probably the worst with sims on this forum. Call me amp-spoilt.:Spin: And I don't even have an amp. So yeh, when someone comes to me with an amp I get overjoyed.:hotjump:

Hehe thanks :) Just bought some various gear for 300€ from Thomann... cables, headphone, sticks, strings, new overhead stand yada yada. It'll make my life slightly easier in the rehearsal/studio :) Next up is buying Reaper and any plugin I'm gonna need! ApTrigga seems to kick Drumagog's ass mainly because of the price... but I hate the limit of 9 samples per instance =/

Yes, that's what we originally planned...you post me your DI file reamped with your distortion setup and I'll try to make you impulse to get close to the tone you pick.

Check your PM Mikko! =)

Hey Erkan,

Sorry for the late reply. I got your PM and links to your reference files, but there were no raw distortion file from your setup. We need that before I can try to tweak the sound towards your tastes…thought I post this here, so no one thinks I can make impulses which already contains ready to go guitar tones with hard distortion.

Here are some examples, there's always a tiny clip from the original recording included.

I still have your reference files your buddy made, so we can try this out anytime. In that case, PM me again.

Greets, Mikko

EDIT: My server give me only 100MB at time so I have constantly to remove/update links.

Hey Erkan,

Sorry for the late reply. I got your PM and links to your reference files, but there were no raw distortion file from your setup. We need that before I can try to tweak the sound towards your tastes…thought I post this here, so no one thinks I can make impulses which already contains ready to go guitar tones with hard distortion.

Quick example. A friend just (some ours ago!) asked me if I can get close to metallica black album tone, with my own setup. Well, LP with Duncan JB is not the best start point, but anyhow, the sound I get is close even sloppy played and without doublings. Plus my amp is not that fizzy. (Included 2 secs of original recording in the beginning which I think is from Guitar Hero3 track someone posted here once.)

I still have your reference files your buddy made, so we can try this out anytime. In that case, PM me again.

Greets, Mikko

Oh, NOW I got it haha :) Yea, I'll try to get something for you from my setup soon but I've been working for 9 days straight now and I've got 3 more days to go... then I have a day off which is on wednesday so I might be able to get it then. Back to work for 5 days after wednesday... yay :|