A little help for me and a little toy for you guys!

Hey man! Weird settings or not, I think you got the SoloC sounding better than the 8505. With some more tweaking, I think that tone could be pretty good actually. Care to upload or PM me the FXchain so I can study it? :) Thanks a ton man!

Not a problem duder! Here's the link to FX Chain Click me!

I'm still trying some things with it (when i have the time that is) but so far with these bizarre settings i'm getting really really good results :)

For the people that don't have Reaper and/or are just curious, here are the settings i'm talking about

TSS.jpg

SoloC.jpg

keFir.jpg

I have a folder on your usb drive? i have no memory of this happening :lol:

so is the tone any good?

Yeah :) Every contribution from this thread is put in its respective folder so I can keep track of what is from who and so on. I'm gonna be studying these and trying to make the best out of everything combined, next week. I might fail miserably but hey... gotta try :)

The tone could work in some mixes I guess but for my taste, it needs to be a little better balanced. It might have a little too little mids and/or presence but it's just tweak stuff. It's very interesting to hear PodFarm stuff because I have never used it myself. An important thing to keep in mind though is that pretty much every contribution helps me since they allow me to see how differently different people choose to create their chains. It will give a lot of insight on how to do as well as how not to do :)

Here's a picture of all the plug-ins and settings I used:
pic

Plug-in chain order:

1. BTE TS'S
2. Floorfish (Noise Gate)
3. Nick Crow 7170
4. Solo C
5. Voxengo Boogex (Catharsis Fredman - s-pres8 impulse)
6. AcmeBarGig Cab Enhancer
7. Sonitus:fx - EQ

@ Erkan: I'd be really interested in hearing the full song when it's finished.
I've listened to that 'Pink Bear of Doom' mp3 about 10 times! :headbang:

Thanks a lot man! This chain is going to be interesting, I haven't used Cab Enhancer yet, and I usually don'e use 7170 at all. With further tweaking, this tone has potential. I like the sharpness in it... must be some combo with the 7170 and the SoloC. This one's gonna get under the microscope a little bit longer ;)

Of course man, I will probably do something like my last project and just throw all songs up on the net when they're done. We'll see, but you'll know it if you check the forum semi-regularly :) Sometime in September I guess..

Not a problem duder! Here's the link to FX Chain Click me!

I'm still trying some things with it (when i have the time that is) but so far with these bizarre settings i'm getting really really good results :)

Thanks a lot man! These bizarre settings will also get under the microscope :)

Thanks again everyone and if anyone who hasn't tried yet wants to try, you're welcome to do so! The more, the freakin' merrier! :D

A few comments...

First, because I'm a worthless wanker I'm going to take some time getting a sample out.

Second, because some have trouble with Dropbox (and because these file-transfer sites often have time limits, effectively destroying anything remotely resembling usefulness in the future), I should remind everyone that Kazrog has been kind enough to offer an FTP for forum use and that you can notify him or me to get something posted there. (It does, of course, need to be something that you have full rights to make available - nothing copyrighted or otherwise encumbered - but that goes without saying.)

Third, congratulations on dropping the monkey business.

Jeff

HEY Erk.. I was looking for something like this that I could loop when I'm designing. I ran this quickly through our new DIG 2.5 and Cab Enhancer 1.09 Public Beta.

I have been telling you guys about the hiss reduction in DIG 2.5...This was recorded with no noise gate..But what is interesting, is that when I built the hiss filters in DIG 2.5 they are based on what I call an attack profile. This takes a reading and decides how fast to turn the cutoff frequency down. So, The harder you are hitting your strings, the faster the cutoff gets shut off. There may be a flaw in DIG 2.5 I didn't know about, this cutoff switching in certain conditions can give the impression of a gate closing. I need to work on that a bit. Anyways, YES for SURE...There was no NOISE GATE...

So here is the chain..
DIG 2.5
Cabinet Enhancer 1.09 PB(Straight in NO IR file used.)
Both loaded with standard presets and minor tweaking..Mostly getting the LFE's set in Cab Enhancer, and the tonestack in DIG. But other than that this is right out of the box...

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/923791/ErKan%20DIG%202.5%20Sound.mp3

Edit: I spent a couple more minutes trying to get those filters mentioned above to behave...Anyways, came up with this sound. The changes.. I added the Tube Filter low in the mix. First one had no Tube filter applied..Also I set the first tubes max gain to 12, second to 10, 3rd to 4, and 4th tube to 12. Plus adjusted all the TUBE BIAS to be under by 1. For whatever its worth, This one is much closer to something I would use myself. The part of this tone though that bothers me is the High end, seems like it may get a little messy for mixing, but I believe with a lower gain, the "fuzziness" will go away.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/923791/ErKan%20DIG%202.5%20Sound2.mp3

Erkan, if you like I'll put you down as a public tester for DIG 2.5, Mostly because I want someone else to confirm there is no Noise gate in this...

Also note I cranked the GAIN to full on this, Which is probably more than was required...
KM

Yeah :) Every contribution from this thread is put in its respective folder so I can keep track of what is from who and so on. I'm gonna be studying these and trying to make the best out of everything combined, next week. I might fail miserably but hey... gotta try :)

The tone could work in some mixes I guess but for my taste, it needs to be a little better balanced. It might have a little too little mids and/or presence but it's just tweak stuff. It's very interesting to hear PodFarm stuff because I have never used it myself. An important thing to keep in mind though is that pretty much every contribution helps me since they allow me to see how differently different people choose to create their chains. It will give a lot of insight on how to do as well as how not to do :)

Cool,
i'll revisit it tonight and see if i can get it to be more balanced. will upload the results.
:kickass:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/876568/mytonetest.wav

I used SoloC on the crunch-channel(Amp eq set to 7 all the way.), i used Catharsis impulses with the fredman setup(Used the preshigh-samples.).
I put an eq before the amp to scoop a little between 200 and 600hz and boost the highs to get that percussive sound.

I forgot to take screenshots and didn't bother saving the file! ;X

HEY Erk.. I was looking for something like this that I could loop when I'm designing. I ran this quickly through our new DIG 2.5 and Cab Enhancer 1.09 Public Beta.

I have been telling you guys about the hiss reduction in DIG 2.5...This was recorded with no noise gate..But what is interesting, is that when I built the hiss filters in DIG 2.5 they are based on what I call an attack profile. This takes a reading and decides how fast to turn the cutoff frequency down. So, The harder you are hitting your strings, the faster the cutoff gets shut off. There may be a flaw in DIG 2.5 I didn't know about, this cutoff switching in certain conditions can give the impression of a gate closing. I need to work on that a bit. Anyways, YES for SURE...There was no NOISE GATE...

So here is the chain..
DIG 2.5
Cabinet Enhancer 1.09 PB(Straight in NO IR file used.)
Both loaded with standard presets and minor tweaking..Mostly getting the LFE's set in Cab Enhancer, and the tonestack in DIG. But other than that this is right out of the box...

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/923791/ErKan%20DIG%202.5%20Sound.mp3

Edit: I spent a couple more minutes trying to get those filters mentioned above to behave...Anyways, came up with this sound. The changes.. I added the Tube Filter low in the mix. First one had no Tube filter applied..Also I set the first tubes max gain to 12, second to 10, 3rd to 4, and 4th tube to 12. Plus adjusted all the TUBE BIAS to be under by 1. For whatever its worth, This one is much closer to something I would use myself. The part of this tone though that bothers me is the High end, seems like it may get a little messy for mixing, but I believe with a lower gain, the "fuzziness" will go away.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/923791/ErKan%20DIG%202.5%20Sound2.mp3

Erkan, if you like I'll put you down as a public tester for DIG 2.5, Mostly because I want someone else to confirm there is no Noise gate in this...

Also note I cranked the GAIN to full on this, Which is probably more than was required...
KM

Hey! This month is pretty crazy with work for me but I might be able to try DIG 2.5 this wednesday/thursday so it would be an honor to do some beta testing and check out the attack profile thing you mentioned. I vaguely get the idea of how it works but there are still many question marks for me and it would be awesome to test it to see what it's like in practise. Throw me a link in the mail or PM if you want, I'll try to get some results back asap and confirm your points :)

Thank you very much for your contribution.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/876568/mytonetest.wav

I used SoloC on the crunch-channel(Amp eq set to 7 all the way.), i used Catharsis impulses with the fredman setup(Used the preshigh-samples.).
I put an eq before the amp to scoop a little between 200 and 600hz and boost the highs to get that percussive sound.

I forgot to take screenshots and didn't bother saving the file! ;X

Interesting! I have tried some EQs before the amp section too and it can give good results sometimes when dialed in right. I have never tried boosting the highs for a more percussive sound though, that's a cool idea. I assume you boosted the highs on the EQ before the amp? I usually put a little boost at 950 hz for some metallic djent-ish sound, before the amp. At what frequency did you boost?

I'm finding it really really hard to get a nice sharp djenty sound without a too harsh high-end. I love Sybreed's guitar tone on "Antares", even though it is very lifeless it is very awesome :D

Thanks dude!

Sure Erkan...Thatnks for posting that wave, I am using it all the time for testing. I just thought I'd post this. I had some fixes to do for Preampus Distortus, so I used your clip to test it.

This is Preampus Distortus.
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/923791/ErKan%20Preampus%20Sound.mp3

Signal Chain is
Preampus Distortus
NO IR
Cab Enhancer 1.09 PB
FX Channel track with Reverb A

There is no real settings other than drive and tone stack in Preampus, tried to make it a simple amp. Plug in and it distorts!

Preampus and Solo C Will be released this Friday together, watch for the announcements, we're waiting for July 4th to be finished before we start advertising it. Included will be Custom IR Cabs for Solo C by Catharsis, Scar, and RedShift Overdrive are all included in this release..

KM

Interesting! I have tried some EQs before the amp section too and it can give good results sometimes when dialed in right. I have never tried boosting the highs for a more percussive sound though, that's a cool idea. I assume you boosted the highs on the EQ before the amp? I usually put a little boost at 950 hz for some metallic djent-ish sound, before the amp. At what frequency did you boost?

I'm finding it really really hard to get a nice sharp djenty sound without a too harsh high-end. I love Sybreed's guitar tone on "Antares", even though it is very lifeless it is very awesome :D

Thanks dude!

I think i boosted the 90hz area about +2db, cut the 200-600hz area about -4db, and then boosted everything from 1khz to 15khz about +2db.. and this was done before the amp.
If you feel that you loose to much mids, or get to much highs, ad an eq after the amp where you basically invert your settings of your pre-eq.
And in my experience its actually cutting those low mids that makes the sound more percussive, the highs just amplifies the "stringyness" of the sound.

About getting to harsh high-end, its all about controlling the area of 1khz-4khz area, and i prefer to do this both before the amp.

Btw, if you use the same kind of EQ with most marshalls, you'll get the brownsound! :)

Notuen, I would be interested in having you design an amp with me...Let me know what you want, and I'll build it...I have been reading your postings here, and I think you have a wealth of ideas and innovations waiting to be built..So, get in touch...We'll build it and release it as freeware...

ken@acmebargig.com

KM

Ok, here's my second attempt at Djenty.

This is not all freeware stuff (most of it is though),
but I used a very similar set-up to my 1st clip.

This is more of a Meshuggah type sound; high gain, high treble
but with more bass (just cus it's on its own; i would take the bass away in the mix when there is a bass guitar)

There is also very little noise in this version.

Erkan Djent (Zarkhaine) 2

Ok, here's my second attempt at Djenty.

This is not all freeware stuff (most of it is though),
but I used a very similar set-up to my 1st clip.

This is more of a Meshuggah type sound; high gain, high treble
but with more bass (just cus it's on its own; i would take the bass away in the mix when there is a bass guitar)

There is also very little noise in this version.

Erkan Djent (Zarkhaine) 2

Dude, you gotta explain to me what you did to this version! I might not exactly be a fan of the distribution of the frequencies, in other words how it is balanced but that is usually not too hard to fix. What I'm interested is the sharpness of the sound, as you said yourself it's quite meshuggah-ish. How did you manage to get it so sharp and percussive without all the noise? This contribution will certainly play a key role when I design my next guitar tone, since I will hopefully learn how to get that sharpness meshuggah-like feeling in the tone :)

Please post pictures/FXchain or just text, describing exactly what you've done! Thanks Zarkhaine!

Sure Erkan...Thatnks for posting that wave, I am using it all the time for testing. I just thought I'd post this. I had some fixes to do for Preampus Distortus, so I used your clip to test it.

This is Preampus Distortus.
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/923791/ErKan%20Preampus%20Sound.mp3

Signal Chain is
Preampus Distortus
NO IR
Cab Enhancer 1.09 PB
FX Channel track with Reverb A

There is no real settings other than drive and tone stack in Preampus, tried to make it a simple amp. Plug in and it distorts!

Preampus and Solo C Will be released this Friday together, watch for the announcements, we're waiting for July 4th to be finished before we start advertising it. Included will be Custom IR Cabs for Solo C by Catharsis, Scar, and RedShift Overdrive are all included in this release..

KM

Cool stuff K man! I'm sort of more interested in what Preampus Distortus would sound like through one of Ryan's IRs :) Right off the bat it seems to be kinda round and smooth in its nature.

Guess I will be able to try it out myself when you release all that stuff :) Yummy yum!

The second tone is pretty much identical to the first one, except
I got rid of floorfish and the 7170, and replaced it with Revalver.

I used the noise gate, and the JSX preamp

Revalver Set-up

Everything else is exactly the same as my other pic.

The second tone is pretty much identical to the first one, except
I got rid of floorfish and the 7170, and replaced it with Revalver.

I used the noise gate, and the JSX preamp

Revalver Set-up

Everything else is exactly the same as my other pic.

Oh I see... so the JSX is used as a boost into SoloC instead of the 7170? Damn, I hate it when cool tones are achieved by using a very small portion of something big such as Revalver. It kind of sucks to buy something expensive, only to use like 5% of it :) Wonder which free amp sim would come closest to the result the JSX gives when shoved into SoloC.

Here you go!
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/425433/erkan.mp3 You like Sybreed huh? :lol:

I used my usual chain (not only freeware, but based on).

This is SoloC>8505 too:
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/425433/psychocrime test.mp3

Erkan, PM me for the chain details if you want them ;)

Best wishes.
-Erik

I studied your tone and targeted to a same type of sound. What happened next was one of biggest surprises I have ever met - WICKED! - I reamped and took the signal from my amps speaker jack (resistive load) and didn't later need neither impulse or a real cab...wheew, just eq:ing the absolute raw signal with curve EQ (Voxengo demo 25s periods for free)! Pretty cool and ultimate I'd say...wish I had turned on some added gain from TS-9 before amp.

Here is the clip:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/fractal.wonderland/WICKED.mp3

My try. gclip->soloc->7170->ferox->boogex (one of my cobra IR´s). A tad to much gain, quick test...

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/929252/Untitled Processed.mp3

It´s hard to set up a tone without any drums and just one single DI-track, any drums, second guitar track at least a tempo declaration could help. cheers!

I agree, it is much harder but I know what I'm looking for so I can sort of get the general sound going as a single track, then tweak it further with everything else added.

But I must say, I really like the lows and the low mids in your tone, and also the high end. I would probably EQ it a little different but I like the tone and I think it would fit. It has a warm character and sort of analogish but still modern and it emphasizes the djenty "bauow" sound of the thick strings. It could be the IR itself that gives this tone a different character. Nonetheless, I like it and I think this will also be helpful for me.

Care to upload the FXchain or pictures of the plugins and their settings? That would rule man, thanks :)

Alright, i think the little extra warmth comes out of the ferox tape saturator. The cobra impulses don´t have this massive lowend like the catharsis ones, but with the low button kranked (7170) it should enough. another thing is that i raised the dynamics button in boogex even the tone contol a bit. This gives a more natural feeling imho. Ahh and no need for gclip, you just can set the input of soloc right (It haven´t clipped) only boosted 3db. No post processing!

MetalMiller%20Untitled%20Settings.JPG

It could be the IR itself that gives this tone a different character.

Hey Erkan, besides the DI file you could also post your reamped version of it -I mean only the raw distortion chain, whatever amps, screamers and modelling plugs you normally use. Adjust the distortion to sound as "decent" as you can get and post the raw file. I could then try to make some cab impulses for you to try out and even so that the tone resembles some tone you dig, but without copying the whole plugin chains. I guarantee good results only with my own amp and setup but we could try how it works with your stuff. If it doesn't work too well, I don't post anything. I have only 2 days to toy with reampings etc. before other works but I'd try this with great interest.

PS. And I'm not trying to sell anything here. Right now it strongly feels to me that for example impulses are only for one-time use, thus very "custom" and not for all.

Greets,

Mikko