Sneap mixing new Dimmu borgir album?

I love the song, but think it would sound much better without the chick's vocals. It would sound much better to me if they had Vortex doing the clean singing for real. I still love the band's music. All the drama surrounding them makes them a bit of a joke. They seriously need to get their shit together....then come to the US for shows. ;)

Man, I'd really kill to see Nick Barker, Mustis, Vortex, and two GOOD guitarists and a good vocalist play old Dimmu material :D Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia would really slay with the original members (minus Shagrath's mediocre vocals!)

Cant say that i like this song too much.. but then i gain, what made me like Dimmu in the first place was Mustis orchestrations.

Imo, this is a nice mix, everything sounds warm, modern and clear without getting harsh like some older dimmu stuff.
I really love the drumsound, fits nice!
I like this song more than their previous album, although I'll wait for the whole album to give an opinion of their 'new' direction.

Metal Assault: Can you tell us a little about the whole recording and writing process for "Abrahadabra"?

Snowy: Yeah, sure. From what I understand it's been a long and hard process, but I came in as the last man right before the recordings and by then most of the music and arrangements were already done in the pre-production. I recorded some additional vocal arrangement and suggestions in my home studio and we ended up adding one or two vocal parts for me, since they hadn't really calculated or hoped to be able to find a fitting replacement in the singing/bass player department when writing the album, which might explain the use of guest singers. I must say I totally love the witch-like vocals this Norwegian girl Agneta did on the single "Gateways"; just fantastic! "Abrahadabra" was recorded in a few different studios. We did the drums and all mine and Shagrath's vocals with Daniel Bergstrand in Uppsala, Sweden. All guitars, bass and keyboards were done in Oslo, Norway with Russ Russell as the engineer and then the whole shebang was mixed and mastered in England by Andy Sneap, and I must tell you it came out sounding fantastic, in case you expected anything else. (Laughs) Yeah that's right, a tiny little detail accidently slipped my mind. Norwegian conductor/composer Gaute Storaas brought in over 50 members of the Norwegian Radio Orchestra and a choir of nearly 40 members to spice things up and to further enhance and achieve that very specific, symphonic and epic DIMMU BORGIR sound. I fucking love it!

So is Snowy in the band or not? It was announced he joined, then announced he quit within a few days. Seriously WTF is up? Talented guy, I hope it works out.

I think it lacks in composition because of the absence of.. Mustis
the orchestration seems nowhere near as well accomplished as before

The enginnering.. awesome!
Certainly much better than other Dimmu releases

I've always been under the impression that with credits like that, it means that the band (or at least the main guys) were "watching over the shoulder", telling how they want something to sound like. While the other option is that the band was not there when it was mixed.

Most of the times that's what happens over here.... it's fucking irritating, but you know.. they pay so I'm fine with it.

Man I wish a had enough money to have an orchestra record my stuff

4200 USD for 30 minutes of recorded stuff with the Czech 50-piece orchestras :)

The Recording Fest featured the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra (40 to 75 players), and the recording could be done by an experienced, professional engineer in a concert hall with state-of-the-art recording equipment. This is going to cost a fortune, I thought. You can imagine my surprise when I received a quote of only $4,200 for a 50-piece orchestra!

For the Recording Fest, an orchestra is not hired on a per-player-per-hour basis as in the United States. The charges are based on the finished recording: $3 per player per minute of final recording time. The above figure includes up to 18 hours of rehearsal for every hour of final recording. Bear in mind that not all of my songs required the orchestra throughout. Some songs needed only sections of orchestration. In other words, I could complete my project with almost 30 minutes of final music. The 50 players would cost less than $4,500, and that price might involve up to nine hours of rehearsal time leading up to the final recording. (In some cases, extra charges may be expected for engineering, hall rental, and the conductor.)

Packages are available that include all costs. For example, 40 minutes of final recording time for a 40-piece orchestra, including rehearsal time, hall rental, and engineer, would cost about $7,200. A 75-piece orchestra would cost $13,900. As mentioned earlier, my 28-minute project cost only $4,200. Prices for individual recordings often vary depending on the needs of the composer, but they are a small fraction of the costs for an orchestra in the United States.

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_real_thing/

Not that bad...

Really good song, really growing on me though I'll stop listening to it now until I buy the album. I love how the video is "white" as opposed to the usual "black". I think this album is gonna be great, they're putting all they can into this: real orchestra again, change in production team (and Sneap was the best possible choice). I believe they want to show the world they're not dead, and I'm very confident about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
109 tracks of real orchestra in each song, on top of everything else. To say this was a challenge is an understatement. The thing I like about the guys is they really are trying to push what they are doing and not repeat themselves.