So Angela Gossow left Arch Enemy... Wow

Do we already have info on the production of this album ? This is simply and precisely how I like a metal band to sound. It is very tasty, kind of stuck in between the 90s/00s and modern metal. Smooth guitars with a decent gain, snappy drums with some weight, I just love it.

Yeah I also dig The Agonist a lot, altho most of their albums have a very strong and a very weak half.

I think I read a statement of Alissa, that she never really left The Agonist. Seems they didn't want to share her with AE, and so they gave her the boot.

They are going to release a song with their new singer today I think. From what is audible in the teaser it seems they should be fine on the growling side of things.
Not convinced about her clean vocals from what I heared so far though.

I actually think her vocal here is much better than it was in the Antagonist, though it's still a bit monotonic compared to Angela. Will be interesting to see if she brings some clean vocals to the band, could help vary things a bit.

There's just something about females doing DM vocals that makes my stomach churn. Musically, AE has been a huge inspiration to me, but the vocals irk me almost as much as cradle of filth. If they stuck to highs, I might be able to give it some credit, but women trying to do low gutturals just sounds pathetic to me.

^totally not my opinion, but I get what you mean as I'm that way with most opera style vocals.

Kinda off topic/kinda don't, but here's the first full song of The Agonist with the new singer

Really digging the growls. Different to how they where before, but awesome.
Not sure about the cleans...I hear some notes that make me go IRRRRRK ("aaaaaaaam" from "Am I just", for example), and do I also hear timing issues on the cleans, or am I just too tired right now?
She's got a cool voice while singing clean too. Not sure if I dig how she uses it most of the time though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the cleans...I hear some notes that make me go IRRRRRK ("aaaaaaaam" from "Am I just", for example), and do I also hear timing issues on the cleans, or am I just too tired right now?
She's got a cool voice while singing clean too. Not sure if I dig how she uses it most of the time though.

Cleans sound ok to me. Seems like the timing issues are on the kinetic typography of the lyric video :).

Also, fan fact, their new singer is from greece.

I honestly didn't see a market for this genre anymore, but it seems like Angela's departure worked as a PR stunt, cause that video's got a fuckton of views for just 10 days.

Holy fuck! It is me or this sound really bland and weak soundwritting, it sounds like a power metal song with death metal vocals. :puke: and I see this getting good reviews! :zombie: Ok, the rest of the album must be really different :Smug:

Last edited by a moderator: