So - how many are there?

my cock slapping the attack attack synth player in the face compressed with a 4:1 ratio

Heres all I really have to say on this, the whole deathcore scene is ridiculous, half the musicians cant play their instruments for shit! So id totally prefer to hear them with fake drums over their real drums (MOST OF THEM CANT EVEN TUNE THEIR DRUMS!)

If the band has a great drummer with a great drum set GO NATURAL maybe even blend triggers to compliment it BUT if the band has a SHITTY drummer and a SHITTY DRUMSET why in the world would you go for a natural approach if it will sound bad?! Our job is to make EVERYTHING we record sound AMAZING.

If people keep using Slate samples to sound good then fuck it, let them do it. When a band comes to us that wants to sound bad ass, we can use different samples and make it sound more unique while still fitting in with the "trend". Its just all about how you approach the mix.

Ermz makes a great point that this thread got more replies than most rate my mix posts. I also think when you post questions as your thread title, curiousity kills you to look at it.

I think a way to improve this forum would be to check out more new members threads and really try to treat everyone like they're part of the "Sneap family" from the get go. You find out who the assholes are quick that way, and you can weed 'em out like armadillos :D

shot%20armadillo.jpg

I think Deaf Ear said it the best, I felt the same way as ermz when I was listening to radio in the US thinking every damn band sounds the same. I think this comes down to being at the tail end of a trend with the whole metal core thing. Like any new thing, a certain style gets saturated and copied.
I think its down to finding different bands to work with, the main problem is alot of the bands sound the same anyway, song writing wise and sonically (same hair too), and these guys want to sound a certain way.

I think alot of us are thinking what is going to be the new "trend" of 2010? I mean if we look back in history EVERY decade had some type of trend..... I really think its up to the big metal producers like Andy, Tue, Colin and Jason to actually change metal production into a more organic sounding product or something totally beyond what any of us have heard yet. But no namers like us would really have to record a HUGE band that people follow to make a difference.

I don't think it's up to the producers necessarily to try to change anything, it's not their job IMO.

It's all cumulative and cyclical. You can't point at one facet of it and hope THEY are the ones who make the change, it needs to come from many sides.

I totally agree with Ermz.

I know that a lot of artists / bands want to sound a particular way, and so as engineers we have to try and produce the sounds they want.
We could say "let's try this as well", or choose to say "fuck that".
There are other options.

Also with originators, there comes followers with every scene - but I think a lot of the guys on forums could be leaders; but choose to use the same techniques and samples every time. The reason that you're on a forum to learn is sign enough that you have potential.

I just hate that most CDs now are quantized to fuck, have the same kick samples and generally sound shit (and way too clinical). Live music should be representation (imo) of a band, not a chance to clone anothers and then learn how to play.

Whatever, makes no difference to me ; fwiw I think Ermz was spot on.

I don't think it's up to the producers necessarily to try to change anything, it's not their job IMO.

It's all cumulative and cyclical. You can't point at one facet of it and hope THEY are the ones who make the change, it needs to come from many sides.

+1 to this and Andy as well, it's about the MUSIC first. Production only serves to highlight and enhance what originality is already there.

Reputation fits into this as well. If some band goes to Producer A because the loved the sound of Record X, are they going to be happy if thier record then sounds completely different from that? Some may, some may not, either way again it has to be a collaborative decision between all parties.

I still think there are a lot of different sounding Metal albums coming out, you just have to dig through a lot of crap (as always) to find it. If you want some examples of more organic type productions check out: Exivious, Dysrhythmia.

I am the only one who doesn't care if bands have the same production? For me it doesn't matter. The songs matter. The little parts of the song don't matter. The song as a WHOLE matters. I listen to a lot of Unearth / All That Remains / August Burns Red. They all have a pretty similar sound, but after a while I found I don't listen to August Burns Red anymore. I just don't like the songs. A lot of you guys seem so worried if two cds have the same snare sound or guitar sound. It doesn't kill it for me. The songs of the band make the final cut with me. Not production?

Yes and no, you've got an obligation to the artist. If the artist asked for a certain sound then you need to try and give it to them. Having said that I believe that bands should find their sound and the engineer/producer should try to capture that.

I am the only one who doesn't care if bands have the same production? For me it doesn't matter. The songs matter. The little parts of the song don't matter. The song as a WHOLE matters.

I agree 100% that good songs are they key. I believe that good songs will hold up on their own reguardless of production, within reason. Having said that you can't just throw the production out the window, nor can you make everything sound the same. I'm as guilty as anyone, all I want is for my work to sound as good as it can.

I agree 100% that good songs are they key. I believe that good songs will hold up on their own reguardless of production, within reason. Having said that you can't just throw the production out the window, nor can you make everything sound the same. I'm as guilty as anyone, all I want is for my work to sound as good as it can.

I'll admit I cannot listen to ...And Justice For All anymore because of flat and shit sounding the production is, despite how good some of the songs are:erk:

I'll admit I cannot listen to ...And Justice For All anymore because of flat and shit sounding the production is, despite how good some of the songs are:erk:

it just prooves to me that great songs also sound great even without thick productions. but standards have changed, so you wouldnt get away with that one today i guess.

thus the effects of copression on modern productions...

Its sad how i have to increase the volume on my iPod for classic albums like Kill em all, Reign in Blood, Souls of Black...

Eh I don't really mind compression on modern productions as long as it's not overkill. The guitar tone was truly my main problem with AJFA. I HATE ultra mid scooped, super fizzy rhythm guitars was a passion and I'm glad you don't hear that stuff anymore on good modern productions