So I had an interesting conversation tonight with some friends

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
So my friend is getting married in October and he thinks that I should have a date to his wedding. While I'm not opposed to the idea, I asked "Why is it imperative that I have a date?"

He says that it's kind of pathetic that I would be going to a wedding without a date at 23 years old, when it's mainly the fact that I really just don't give a shit and don't feel like dealing with one more thing that night.

Should I get a date?

If so, should I get someone to set me up on a blind date (my 2nd, since I had one a few weeks ago that was horrible) or should I try and find someone I know around here and go with them?

This might lead to flame wars, but whatever.

My friend also commented on my Iron Maiden shirt and said "Iron Maiden, weren't they around in the 80s?"

I promptly told him to go fuck himself. So, if you want, you can talk about how much of a tool bag my friend is (sometimes)

I don't care.

Hey Ozzman. I dont think there will be a flamewar, the Chat people are pretty solid, you'll see.
I think you should answer your date question spontanously and do what you feel like. I dont see how showing up with a girl you hardly know would make any difference at all, in fact, I think it's even more pathetic. If your friend doesnt appreciate you the way you are, maybe you should consider not going..?

Hey Ozzman. I dont think there will be a flamewar, the Chat people are pretty solid, you'll see.
I think you should answer your date question spontanously and do what you feel like. I dont see how showing up with a girl you hardly know would make any difference at all, in fact, I think it's even more pathetic. If your friend doesnt appreciate you the way you are, maybe you should consider not going..?

Well I thought about that too, but he said it was cool if I didn't have date, but he thought it was very weird for some reason...

I mean, I've known the guy since I was 12, so I don't see a reason in not going unless he really pissed me off.

If it got to the point where he kept giving me shit about not getting a date, I wouldn't go just to prove a point.

I mean, I think the fact that I plan on being there should be enough for him, but apparently I need a girl to show how much I care for him???

I'm going to have more arguments about it in the future I'm sure. I have 4 months until the wedding, so more conversations will occur.

I agree.

If you want to go with a date by the time the wedding comes up, that's fine... if you don't, that's fine as well. Do what you want to do. It's his wedding, he has more important things to worry about.

Your friend sounds like a knob.

He can be. I've known him forever though, so I trust him with a lot of shit than I usually do with people.

I just think he's developed the mentality that a lot of other people in this city have developed:

If you aren't dating a girl (or actively looking to date) in your 20s, there is something wrong with you.

I just don't really give a shit. There is free beer at the wedding. My goal that night will be to put a dent in the fucking keg and have a good time. If I had a date, I probably wouldn't have a good time unless I was really good friends with her.

You should bring a big burley mountain man as your date. That would throw him for a loop. Speaking of big burley mountain men; why don't you see if Basilisk is free the evening of the wedding...
:rolleyes:

:lol:, I agree, get a big burly bear to snuggle with.

I wouldn't go with a blind date however; it could end up ruining your evening.

Well, if you friend is in your age - there you´ll find something pathetic - getting married far too young, IMO. And getting a blinddate to your friends wedding is really, really embarrrasing! To you, to her and everyone else. Anyone would notice that you would feel totally awkward in that situation.
Perhaps you´ll find a "natural" girlfriend by then, but if you don´t, please yourself instead of your friend. He should understand that.

^and COBOT

anyway, I agree with: Tal, Susan and BasilisK

on a less serious note:
you should try to get a date that looks like Eddie :p

So my friend is getting married in October and he thinks that I should have a date to his wedding. While I'm not opposed to the idea, I asked "Why is it imperative that I have a date?"

He says that it's kind of pathetic that I would be going to a wedding without a date at 23 years old, when it's mainly the fact that I really just don't give a shit and don't feel like dealing with one more thing that night.

Should I get a date?

If so, should I get someone to set me up on a blind date (my 2nd, since I had one a few weeks ago that was horrible) or should I try and find someone I know around here and go with them?

This might lead to flame wars, but whatever.

My friend also commented on my Iron Maiden shirt and said "Iron Maiden, weren't they around in the 80s?"

I promptly told him to go fuck himself. So, if you want, you can talk about how much of a tool bag my friend is (sometimes)

I don't care.

Don't go with one... you can meet a girl there! :cool:

He [friend] says that it's kind of pathetic that I would be going to a wedding without a date at 23 years old, when it's mainly the fact that I really just don't give a shit and don't feel like dealing with one more thing that night.

Why even make a thread about it? It's stupid that he thinks you need to have a date. Do you have to have a lover and have them around all the time?

I understand the feeling totally, dude. Your friend doesn't sound like such an ace guy at all.

I feel the same pressure, and I'm sixteen. SIXTEEN. So much so I'm now in a relationship I'm not massively happy in, at that. I don't recommend, on any level, getting a date for the sake of a date.