An awkward conversation

Eligos

Problem Yet to be Solved
Jun 2, 2008
Great Plains of the U.S.
www.myspace.com
I'll be having a conversation about metal with some friends and they'll mention the name of a band I've never heard of. Then halfway through the conversation I'll realize who it is they're talking about, I just pronounce the name completely differently.

For example, a friend asked me if I listened to Devian. He pronounced the name Duh-VYE-an, which sounded like divine to me, and I said I'd never heard of them. Then he and my other friend started talking about how Legion sucks at vocals and I realized they were talking about Devian. I pronounce it DEE-vee-an, because it's spelled similarly to deviance and deviation.

Has anyone else had similar conversations?

Sometimes when people ask me if I like acker-coke, I'll tell them I prefer Pepsi. Not that I expect people will pronounce Akercocke correctly anyhow.

Sometimes when people ask me if I like acker-coke, I'll tell them I prefer Pepsi. Not that I expect people will pronounce Akercocke correctly anyhow.

I saw an interview in which it was pronounced 7 or 8 different ways.

I say Aker-cocky, but I've never thought it the correct pronunciation. It's something like Aker-cock-a/er right? I wouldn't know how to say it without an English accent.

Yeah that happened to me with Dimmu Borgir. The guy said it like all one word and with a soft G or something. I pronounce it Deh Moo Boar Gear, with a hard G.

That's the thing with me, since I really don't have live metal friends, and don't watch shows on TV or interviews with bands, I never hear any band pronounced. But since I am not a big black metal fan, it is less of an issue.

I pronounce them borknagger. lol they are naggers

Also, I pronounce Dimmu Borgir the say way Ack.

Borknagar seems pretty straight forward to me, if you read it. Although the emphasis in foreign words can be a problem. I put it on the BORK and pronounce the first A like "Apple" and the second A like "fall".

The "right" (the way i presume the members pronounce it) way to pronounce it would be Borknagar, with the first a pronounced like "fall" and the second pronounced like the o in "monster". And rolling r's of course.

The "right" (the way i presume the members pronounce it) way to pronounce it would be Borknagar, with the first a pronounced like "fall" and the second pronounced like the o in "monster". And rolling r's of course.

Why rolling r's? That's always seemed like more of a French thing to me. Don't the Nords pronounce their r's fairly strongly?

That's how I pronounce it. And how do you pronounce Watain? I read the liner notes in Casus, and it says it has 3 sylabbles. I always say wah-tane.

Haha so did I. I was lost when I heard it said properly. Two more: Krohm and Drudkh. Is Krohm like 'chrome' or with the o making an ah sound like wash. And Drudkh I just say really ugly. Or how about Njiqhadda?