An awkward conversation

Do you really have the same definition of a round r as me? In Småland and Skåne "skruv" sounds more like "skåuv" or "skhåuv", a throat sound. Listen to Åkerfeldt in "Den Ständiga Resan", i don't call those r's rolling r's. If for example Vintersorg would have sung it the r's would have been different.

This is stockholm dialect - rolling r's example:

These are more round r's from the southern parts of Sweden:

- that more skåne. In småland they also have more round r's than in stockholm where "korv" is pronounced "kov" or "kåv".

I recomend Fredrik Lindströms "svenska dialektmysterier" for more info. THere is no way people in sockholm use the same r's as they do in english. Listen to a stockholm native saying "rullande r" and compare to a brit talking about "rolling r's". Way different. Stockholm has rolling r's and english has round r's.

See that's what I thought until I saw this:

Interesting. I've heard them say both then. Wikipedia says this about the name:

"Akercocke is a British progressive blackened death metal band. They take their name from a talking monkey in Robert Nye's interpretation of the Faust-legend, and are notable for their heavily Satanic and sexual lyrical content."

Maybe one can work out the correct way of pronouncing it from this? Has anyone read it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I said sam-EYE-ell.

Sure but that still doesn't fully characterize the way you pronounce it. I think what was odd about the way you said it had to do with which vowels you stressed and which ones you didn't.

But the chorus of "4 Sekunder" is exactly what i'm talking about, he doesn't roll his r's there. Sure it's not like you don't use rolling r's at all, but most r's are round.
Like the guy who supposedly killed our prime minister, he's pretty Stockholm:

Fredrik Lindström tends to generalize too much, in the Norrland episode he basically treated Norrländska as being one single dialect even though we have basically as many different dialects as southern Sweden.

Well, no one always use's rolling r's because it is harder to say than making them sound more round (Maybe except for scottish people ;)). Its like if somones name is Jonas Svensson most people here would say Jona Svensson because its easier to leave out one s instead of making the s sound twice after eachother. I have been living in stockholm all my life and I would definately say our r's are rolling way more than they are round. Even if its more rare nowadays we do use e instead of ä more than in other parts of the country as well.

Lindström has to generalize or else he would have to make shitloads of episodes about every little fragment of dialects. But in general what he says is correct. More round r's to longer south you get in sweden as well as more vovewls.

Ah-nahl Natt-rahk, pretty much, it's said in the first song on their album so anyone having problems pronouncing it is dumb or hasn't heard them.