An awkward conversation

I saw an interview in which it was pronounced 7 or 8 different ways.

I say Aker-cocky, but I've never thought it the correct pronunciation. It's something like Aker-cock-a/er right? I wouldn't know how to say it without an English accent.

In the dvd that comes with one of their albums they pronounce it as ackercock-e with the first a sounding like the a i "amaranth".

THe host of the show pronounces the name as they do in that dvd in this clip:

Borknagar seems pretty straight forward to me, if you read it. Although the emphasis in foreign words can be a problem. I put it on the BORK and pronounce the first A like "Apple" and the second A like "fall".

Nah, its not A like in "apple" or "fall" (unless Borknagar is really spelled "Borknägår"). Both a's should be pronounced in the same way and the rolling r's. I dunno how I should explain the a sound though. Its easy for swedes but I cant think of a god word in english that has the same sound. IN this video they say Borkngar in norwegian right at the start:

It depends on your dialect, i can't speak much for Norwegian dialects but in Stockholm for example they use round r's like you do in English, while most Swedes pronounce r's rolling. The Borknagar guys seem to have some offshoot dialect where they pronounce r's with more of a throat sound.

This is very much untrue. In Stockholm we speak with rolling r's as do most Swedes but in the south and especially places like Malmö they use round r's. The closer one gets to the continent the more round the r's are getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really have the same definition of a round r as me? In Småland and Skåne "skruv" sounds more like "skåuv" or "skhåuv", a throat sound. Listen to Åkerfeldt in "Den Ständiga Resan", i don't call those r's rolling r's. If for example Vintersorg would have sung it the r's would have been different.

Listening to Zeph's show earlier I found out he pronounces 'Samael' way differently than how I do. I've never heard anybody say it the way he does. Then again, I don't really ever talk about Samael with people irl. I'm too lazy to spell out the difference phonetically. I'd have to do it in IPA and I don't feel like plumbing the dark recesses of my mind to do such a thing.

Listening to Zeph's show earlier I found out he pronounces 'Samael' way differently than how I do. I've never heard anybody say it the way he does. Then again, I don't really ever talk about Samael with people irl. I'm too lazy to spell out the difference phonetically. I'd have to do it in IPA and I don't feel like plumbing the dark recesses of my mind to do such a thing.

Ya, he pronounces it very odd.

That's usually how I and people I know have pronounced it. I guess I hear some say sam-AY-ell. I don't really think about it much since most people familiar with the band will know who you're talking about regardless.

That's how it's said (the way Zeph said it) in the invocation in one of Pagan Altar's songs, so that's the way I pronounce it.

I just asked my Jewish friend to pronounce the original Hebrew (סמאל) and he says it's "sam-ah-EL".

I have no idea how it should be pronounced so I alternate between saying 'Blut Aus Nord' like a French chap and a German.