So I just got done doing a comparison of the D112 vs. D6

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Ugh. I now officially hate the way the D112 sounds. We stuck it in the exact same spot (I know that's impossible, but the same placement) and the D6 blew that shit out of the water.

Actually I liked the Audix F14 better than the D112. ACTUALLY I liked a sm57 better than the d112 :lol:.

What was surprising was that a pencil condenser sounded pretty bad ass as well! :kickass:

So at this point I want to ask is there anything other than bass cabs that the D112 is kickass on?

Once i read in gearslutz a guy claiming that he tried his D112 inside the kick pointing the resonance head (NOT the batter), and it sounded awesome.

Ugh. I now officially hate the way the D112 sounds. We stuck it in the exact same spot (I know that's impossible, but the same placement) and the D6 blew that shit out of the water.

Actually I liked the Audix F14 better than the D112. ACTUALLY I liked a sm57 better than the d112 :lol:.

What was surprising was that a pencil condenser sounded pretty bad ass as well! :kickass:

So at this point I want to ask is there anything other than bass cabs that the D112 is kickass on?

not to shit in your cereal or anything, but the D112 is rrrrrrrrrrrrrreally picky
when it comes to mic placement - way more so than the D6. i bet that if you played around and found the spot where the D112 sounded best, then stuck the D6 there, the difference might not be as huge.

that being said, i'm sure the D6 would still come out on top, seeing how it's voiced to be a more "aggressive" sounding mic

not to shit in your cereal or anything, but the D112 is rrrrrrrrrrrrrreally picky
when it comes to mic placement - way more so than the D6. i bet that if you played around and found the spot where the D112 sounded best, then stuck the D6 there, the difference might not be as huge.

Oh yeah dude I know. I have been using the D112 for a year now :lol:. I never really liked it unless a 57 was used as well. I'm just amazed at how different that mic sounds compared to anything else I tried (except a Blue blue dynamic ball, that was definitly the biggest shit sandwich ever).

What was really amazing (IMO) was how well the Audix F14 performed. There was a little less low freq response compared to the D6 but the kick sound was almost identical.

I can post samples if anyone really wants.

I love the D6 myself, and I still use it almost all the time. But like someone mentioned above the D112 can be a great mic if you find the right spot in the kick drum. Also, IMO sometimes I feel like the D112 is easier to mold into the track with EQ better than the D6, especially if your not doing a metal/heavier project where you don't need all of that High end the D6 has pre curved into it. You can really pick where to have the attack of the kick drum at with the D112.

I remember the first time I used a D6 I couldn't believe that I actually had to push more mid's into the kick drum after we tracked. It's pretty scooped which can be nice but sometimes it's just a little too much....

i use the d6 or the shure beta 52 very often in my studio... i also have a d112 and its been in the case for a few years now with no use other than some bass cabs... audix d4 for floor toms or the beta 52 as well....

57 sounds w /earthworks kick pad is 100x better imo than a d112

Once i read in gearslutz a guy claiming that he tried his D112 inside the kick pointing the resonance head (NOT the batter), and it sounded awesome.

I've heard this aswell actually, could be worth a shot...

Tbh, I've never really liked the D112 either, always preferred a ATM25 or a E602, much less faffing about with positioning and eq to get a sound that isn't boxy.

yeah that was me!!
just picked up a d6 myself!
holy shit!! how did i ever live without it

ofcourse a D6 sounds better than a d112 for metal music (and most other modern music styles)

but don´t forget that the results after some decent eq-ing can be different.
i think a lot of people are being mislead by the pre eq difference between mics and forget to pay attention to other details, such as attack response and tightness.
I don´t claim that the d112 is better at any of these than the D6, however I have noticed that the D6 really sucks with soft hits and sounds great with hard hits. at least the d112 sounds mediocre all the time;)
and i have to add the d112 sounds great on floortoms and basscabs and thereby is a more allround mic in my opinion.