I just got a sense of purpose

Of course ASOP is metal :lol:it's just a different type of metal to what In Flames used to play. It doesn't slot under the 'rock' category, too heavy and the vocals are still by and large not pleasing enough to the casual ear to make it rock music. It's just melodic metal.

Melodic metal, i'm fine with that. :p

For those of you who don't think that Anders can't still growl, look at this video of him trying to do the growling in F(r)iend
Doesn't sound terrible, better at the end than the beginning, but still not that great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but it's versatile and melodic in a different way. It just does not sound like In Flames at all anymore...
True. True.

Of course ASOP is metal :lol:it's just a different type of metal to what In Flames used to play. It doesn't slot under the 'rock' category, too heavy and the vocals are still by and large not pleasing enough to the casual ear to make it rock music. It's just melodic metal.
Actually...
Vocals do not affect genre. First off..
Secondly, the songs use standard hard rock structures and to be honest the riff structure is pretty much just rock. The drumming is pretty metal. In the end I'd say it's very much borderline.

I don't understand this whole "cut out the clean singing thing" - musicians always experiment. and I think I mentioned a few pages back that his voice is utterly fucked. You can hear it. It's obvious that's what's wrong.

I think ASOP is a poor effort, I do agree on that. However, I'm not prepared to write them off completely. Just don't listen to the new stuff... simple.

I told you people. It's not that he can't. It's his CHOICE of what he does.

I told you people, he changed his vocal approach to a more natural tone.

I don't think it has, he's changed his technique obviously because he likes the way he screams over the way he growls.

Watching Used & Abused he mixes both. As i've said numerous times during In Search of I he does a deep growl for a chorus which just sounds awesome... 'THE I IS LOST IN MOIIIIII'

Actually...
Secondly, the songs use standard hard rock structures and to be honest the riff structure is pretty much just rock. The drumming is pretty metal. In the end I'd say it's very much borderline.

Don't be stupid, of course vocals affect genre. How many classic rock songs do you know with death metal growls? How many standard rock songs, period, do you know with extended growls or screams? Growls and screams are a key part of being a melodeath/death metal band, so of course they affect the genre.

In Flames still sound totally different to any rock/hard rock I've heard. Name some rock bands that sound like In Flames, then maybe I'll reconsider my viewpoint. Maybe I'm just not listening to the correct hard rock bands... :rolleyes:

To be honest I just think they're not nearly as inspired as they once were. They have families and music isn't their number one priority anymore. When they were younger music was their life. Although, Jesper to me seems like he kinda wants to write music that's more orientated towards their older sound but is kinda stuck in what their doing now. I think he'll be the first one to quit In Flames. I think he might want to do his own thing.

Am I the only one who enjoys ASOP more than CC or STYE?
You're not alone.

Don't be stupid, of course vocals affect genre. How many classic rock songs do you know with death metal growls? How many standard rock songs, period, do you know with extended growls or screams? Growls and screams are a key part of being a melodeath/death metal band, so of course they affect the genre.

In Flames still sound totally different to any rock/hard rock I've heard. Name some rock bands that sound like In Flames, then maybe I'll reconsider my viewpoint. Maybe I'm just not listening to the correct hard rock bands... :rolleyes:
Actually, vocals do not determine genre. If GnR were fronted by George Fisher, they'd still be a hard rock band.
And I've actually heard some jazz with death growls. It's still jazz.
Genre lies in the rhythmic and musical structure of the riffs.

To be honest I just think they're not nearly as inspired as they once were. They have families and music isn't their number one priority anymore. When they were younger music was their life. Although, Jesper to me seems like he kinda wants to write music that's more orientated towards their older sound but is kinda stuck in what their doing now. I think he'll be the first one to quit In Flames. I think he might want to do his own thing.

Well said

Actually, vocals do not determine genre. If GnR were fronted by George Fisher, they'd still be a hard rock band.
And I've actually heard some jazz with death growls. It's still jazz.
Genre lies in the rhythmic and musical structure of the riffs.

I don't think you'll find I ever said vocals DETERMINED genre, but they definately have an affect. Think of melodeath and you think of growling/screaming vocals, that's just how it is. Similarly, think of rock and you certainly don't think of such extreme vocals. You've named one case, but it's hardly the norm for jazz bands to have screaming vocals, is it? There are exceptions to every genre(In Flames aren't the exception to hard rock, btw). Point is, Anders vocals are still extreme enough that most fans of hard rock would be turned off by In Flames, no matter how their songs are structured. I think one of the boys of In Flames said it best when an interviewer asked "is the new record metal?" and he answered an emphatic (and slightly incredulous) yes, clearly wondering how such stupid questions could be asked. In Flames are still metal, and no matter how many people would love to say they're not anymore, they are.

Actually...

Yeah don't be stupid. Vocals contribute a lot to making Metalcore and Melodic Death Metal different. MDM has fluent death vocals.

You can't say they have zero contributation to defining the style.

BTW fuck STYE except for the few good songs on it.

Damn I hope that doesn't happen. Just as recently as STYE they had some older-sounding stuff (sort of), but now it's just kind of all new. I like all of it, but some more "IF retro" stuff would be cool.