I just got a sense of purpose

ASOP is not even the genre they founded.

Everyting is almost wrong with CC and ASOP

CC:
-whiney vocals and shit growls
-bad guitar sound (boy...i thought i had heard grainy guitars before)
-The songs just get boring

ASOP:
-Slower
-more boring
-Even more shitty vocals
-i just cant stand it

this is all IMHO...no offence to anyone liking the album.

Atleast a sense of~ contained some growls, mweh, i hope that during their next album they'll forget about their commercel road and make a kick ass album with atleast some real agression.

CC:

ASOP:
-Slower
-more boring
-Even more shitty vocals
-i just cant stand it

Well, yes, it's true. It really isn't melodic death metal. I was confused on my first listen. I happen to like the new sound, but diff'rent strokes.

I prefer 'Soundtrack to your Escape' over 'Come Clarity' and 'A Sense of Purpose'.

After buying their DVD 'Used and Abused' and watching their Hammersmith performance, i must say they sound so much better live than on album. For example - Anders does a deep growl during the chorus of In Search of I which sounds awesome.

They bring this extra energy to each of the songs and brings them to life. I haven't yet heard that from the Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose songs, although i really like the deep growl Anders does during the chorus of 'Leeches' live.

I prefer 'Soundtrack to your Escape' over 'Come Clarity' and 'A Sense of Purpose'.

After buying their DVD 'Used and Abused' and watching their Hammersmith performance, i must say they sound so much better live than on album. For example - Anders does a deep growl during the chorus of In Search of I which sounds awesome.

They bring this extra energy to each of the songs and brings them to life. I haven't yet heard that from the Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose songs, although i really like the deep growl Anders does during the chorus of 'Leeches' live.

...Anders is pissing me off, serious.

He might does one of his best vocal performances ever on f(r)iend live, when he actually growls alot, and good.

But on a sense of~ most songs are too melodic to contain growls, or just contain a few growls.

Anders should SERIOUS drop his clean singing, start to growl more and growls more in the god damn studio. (no i dont mean just a few growls, more.)

Why are you people so obsessed with growls? Have you never heard any other bands that use them? Go listen to some AA or Decapitated or whatever if you want growls.

Atleast a sense of~ contained some growls, mweh, i hope that during their next album they'll forget about their commercel road and make a kick ass album with atleast some real agression.
Yeah i agree.
Well, yes, it's true. It really isn't melodic death metal. I was confused on my first listen. I happen to like the new sound, but diff'rent strokes.
Yeah i don't blame you for liking it at all but i never was a HUGE In Flames fan but liked stuff from Clayman,Whoracle and Colony pretty much.
Why are you people so obsessed with growls? Have you never heard any other bands that use them? Go listen to some AA or Decapitated or whatever if you want growls.

It's not the fact of growls existing. It's more like the total change in their style and the fanbase wanted In Flames not someone else. In Flames is totally raping their name with this album because you can hardly call CC or ASOP Gothenburg metal. I think ASOP lacks melodies,versatility and new stuff. The reason why people whine about growls and cleans is because they are considerably worse now. I mean his screaming was superb on clayman f.e.

Just my 2 cents...

Not trying to offend anyone this time around either :lol: Im just full of opinions.

I agree pretty much with everything you just said. Couldn't have put it better myself.

And why do you think that IF spent the time to right The Chosen Pessimist?

Well, i'm not realy into much death metal stuff, but i think it's good that Anders decided to growl a bit again, simply cause he didn't do that for some years (studio albums).

About leeches; you mean when Anders growls ''SPIT ME OUT!'' right?

It's not the fact of growls existing. It's more like the total change in their style and the fanbase wanted In Flames not someone else. In Flames is totally raping their name with this album because you can hardly call CC or ASOP Gothenburg metal. I think ASOP lacks melodies,versatility and new stuff. The reason why people whine about growls and cleans is because they are considerably worse now. I mean his screaming was superb on clayman f.e.
They don't really call themselves Gothenburg metal anymore. If you went up to Jesper and said "is the new album Gothenburg metal like the first couple?", he'd say, "Fuck no. Are you deaf?"
They've changed their style. They play a different style of music now. People say "well why didn't they change their name?" That would have meant that basically In Flames would cease to exist and there would be a new band containing all the same members. Sound stupid to you?
If you think ASOP lacks melodies, versatility, and new stuff, though, then you need to dig the mud out of your ears. It has tons of fucking melodies. It's their most melodic album since Clayman, possibly even since Colony. It's plenty versatile; definitely more so than any of their other albums. And it's "new." They've never sounded like this before.
I'd say the band's generally gone downhill, though.

Well, i'm not realy into much death metal stuff, but i think it's good that Anders decided to growl a bit again, simply cause he didn't do that for some years (studio albums).
What are you into then?
Vocals should fit the music. A band shouldn't lock themselves into a mindset of "we use growls, thus, we will always growl. The day we sing clean is the day we break up the band."
About leeches; you mean when Anders growls ''SPIT ME OUT!'' right?
One thing about leeches live that bothers me is that the keyboards don't come through, so that riff just lacks punch.

They don't really call themselves
What are you into then?
Vocals should fit the music. A band shouldn't lock themselves into a mindset of "we use growls, thus, we will always growl. The day we sing clean is the day we break up the band."
QUOTE]

Well, i do like death metal, just a few bands though. :)

About the growls: well, let's imagine their next album will contain 12 songs, couldn't they do atleast ONE song without clean vocals, and just screaming combinated with growls? i think that would sound awesome, no melody, just agression. In flames should experiment with some brutal stuff.

I think one of the things that ASOP lacked was aggression in some places, I mean, not in a single song do you really get an aggressive feel!
The song structures are a bigger problem though, but I wont start ranting about that now...
Take This Life was a really good song, and I love it. If more of Come Clarity had that same quality, that album would have been killer.

Though it's the brutalst song In flames has done in a few years i don't like it.
I liked it, but my point was that it's pretty much pure aggression - they've already done that. Unless you want them to go all Despised Icon.

I think one of the things that ASOP lacked was aggression in some places, I mean, not in a single song do you really get an aggressive feel!
The song structures are a bigger problem though, but I wont start ranting about that now...
ASOP was not aggressive, true, and that was intentional. As far as song structure goes, what? You have intro, verse, chorus, some riffage, verse, chorus, bridge, riff/solo, chorus...nothing new there.

CC:

ASOP:
-Slower
-more boring
-Even more shitty vocals
-i just cant stand it

Asop is not even metal. :lol:
I agree with you;

I HATE to say it but after listening to the new In flames albums for a while i realised that the only song that's worth to keep in your mind is ''Drenched in fear''.

I mean, let's face it; the new In flames has tons of guitar harmonies and melodies, but are these good? fuck no, i mean most new songs sound the same and are pretty boring, even their most agressive new song ''take this life'' gets boring after an while, i didn't had that while listening to their old songs. Also the vocals; Anders can't/doesn't growl like he used to (not that it's that bad, the new songs with only growls won't fit) but still, sometimes his clean vocals are fucking whining and don't get me started about his lyrics cause it's looks like an depressive teenager wrote them.

I hate to say it, but i don't like the new album, the first few times you will listen to it you might think ''THE BEST SINCE CLAYMAN!!!'' yes, that's true, but i guess that can be said with every new In flames album, the only worthly song to check out is Drenched in fear and it isn't even that special.

Somethings lacking, but i don't know what, maybe creativity? who knows.

ASOP was not aggressive, true, and that was intentional. As far as song structure goes, what? You have intro, verse, chorus, some riffage, verse, chorus, bridge, riff/solo, chorus...nothing new there.
My biggest problem with the song structures is exactly that. So unoriginal it bores me to death when I try to listen to the album. Every single song has pretty much that structure, exept the chosen pessimisst which isn't that great either.

They don't really call themselves Gothenburg metal anymore. If you went up to Jesper and said "is the new album Gothenburg metal like the first couple?", he'd say, "Fuck no. Are you deaf?"
They've changed their style. They play a different style of music now. People say "well why didn't they change their name?" That would have meant that basically In Flames would cease to exist and there would be a new band containing all the same members. Sound stupid to you?
If you think ASOP lacks melodies, versatility, and new stuff, though, then you need to dig the mud out of your ears. It has tons of fucking melodies. It's their most melodic album since Clayman, possibly even since Colony. It's plenty versatile; definitely more so than any of their other albums. And it's "new." They've never sounded like this before.
I'd say the band's generally gone downhill, though.

Yeah but it's versatile and melodic in a different way. It just does not sound like In Flames at all anymore...

Of course ASOP is metal :lol:it's just a different type of metal to what In Flames used to play. It doesn't slot under the 'rock' category, too heavy and the vocals are still by and large not pleasing enough to the casual ear to make it rock music. It's just melodic metal.