I just got a sense of purpose

Colony is the peak of Anders talent.

Colony was the peak for sure.

although i'd be interested to see what kind of sound it would be if he did the clean singing like on Pinball Map / Ordinary Story instead of the whiney garbage

On Reroute to Remain he did a lot of those low pitch backing cleans like he did on Colony and Clayman. example: Colony's verses where he growls and you can hear a clean track backing his growls up.

Growling as a technique should be easier, if you're doing it correctly.

Depends on what growl you're trying to do.

I define screams to be more natural, as growling is a more steady approach other than just letting it all out like screaming usually is.

Too bad i can't say that i like this album. I will always dig stuff from Clayman and Whoracle ooh and also Colony is great but ASOP and CC is just the bottom for me. I can't listen to that stuff. On CC i found the clean vocals annoying and very :erk: and on ASOP i just didnt like anything. The riffs kept repeating itself,the vocals were half-hearted and overall just didn't like it. I can't believe the band actually said it would be best since Clayman :erk:

Just my 2 cents...

This is all opinion and im sorry if it is different than yours but i will continue to think that.

I can both scream and growl (if you want proof, head over to myspace.com/beyondpurity, my band myspace), and the screaming/growling debate:
Well, first off, screaming is way harder to learn, way harder to learn to execute, and you need to be in perfect shape to be able to produce great ones.
Growling is easier to learn, and easier to execute, but it takes a shitload more air & energy to use.

I prefer screaming, it is a way more versatile technique, you can mix it easily with cleans, and overall, it is a more perfect technique, 'cause it requires less air & energy, and you can use that energy to sing longer, more intense verses, or jump around like a madman during live performances. The reason anders abandoned growls, is that he prefers the scream, nothing else.

It was their best since Clayman, imo. The only competition there is CC...

I mean just screaming as in yelling very loudly and harshly and high pitched, or putting modulation on your voice (with your throat/mouth, not a computer).

Well,with screaming i don't mean Anders way of screaming, but more screaming in the way of Mikael stanne does.

I can't scream/growl very loud though.

Yeah if it were up to me, I like the high pitched screaming rather than the low growling. Idk, sounds better, simple as that. Easier to understand as well.
But the "Pushing the Faith" backup line on March to the Shore is AWESOME. Should've done that a few more times.

Yeah if it were up to me, I like the high pitched screaming rather than the low growling. Idk, sounds better, simple as that. Easier to understand as well.
But the "Pushing the Faith" backup line on March to the Shore is AWESOME. Should've done that a few more times.

I really have to disagree here. The low growling in Clayman was intense. No one else could pull it off quite like him. Yet again the screaming is pretty unique too. I think he sounds a little whiny now, and watching live sets of recent gigs shows that it pains him to do this now.

Well, if you can't scream/growl loud, and you don't really understand the difference between the techniques, what's the point tbh?

It was their best since Clayman, imo. The only competition there is CC...

ASOP is not even the genre they founded.

Everyting is almost wrong with CC and ASOP

CC:
-whiney vocals and shit growls
-bad guitar sound (boy...i thought i had heard grainy guitars before)
-The songs just get boring

ASOP:
-Slower
-more boring
-Even more shitty vocals
-i just cant stand it

this is all IMHO...no offence to anyone liking the album.

Yeah the guitars in CC were pretty frickin grainy, and there was practically no bass. But I'd rather have it like that than on R2R. But either way, I enjoyed Come Clarity, but I seem to "enjoy" all IF stuff :p
ASOP really isn't too much slower IMO, though. Faster than CC.