I just got a sense of purpose

Damn I hope that doesn't happen. Just as recently as STYE they had some older-sounding stuff (sort of), but now it's just kind of all new. I like all of it, but some more "IF retro" stuff would be cool.

It might work, but i can imagine how people would think about it:

''Anders screaming ruined this song!''

I don't think Anders could do an song with only growling.

To be honest I just think they're not nearly as inspired as they once were. They have families and music isn't their number one priority anymore. When they were younger music was their life. Although, Jesper to me seems like he kinda wants to write music that's more orientated towards their older sound but is kinda stuck in what their doing now. I think he'll be the first one to quit In Flames. I think he might want to do his own thing.
!
I don't think you'll find I ever said vocals DETERMINED genre, but they definately have an affect. Think of melodeath and you think of growling/screaming vocals, that's just how it is. Similarly, think of rock and you certainly don't think of such extreme vocals. You've named one case, but it's hardly the norm for jazz bands to have screaming vocals, is it? There are exceptions to every genre(In Flames aren't the exception to hard rock, btw). Point is, Anders vocals are still extreme enough that most fans of hard rock would be turned off by In Flames, no matter how their songs are structured. I think one of the boys of In Flames said it best when an interviewer asked "is the new record metal?" and he answered an emphatic (and slightly incredulous) yes, clearly wondering how such stupid questions could be asked. In Flames are still metal, and no matter how many people would love to say they're not anymore, they are.
Okay.
They don't have an effect. Sorry.
Just because they don't appeal to hard rock fans doesn't mean they're not hard rock.

Yeah don't be stupid. Vocals contribute a lot to making Metalcore and Melodic Death Metal different. MDM has fluent death vocals.
You can't say they have zero contributation to defining the style.
Vocals have no fucking effect on genre. I'm sorry, but it's all about the music. I've heard metalcore with death metal vocals and melodeath with metalcore vox. It doesn't change anything.

Okay.
They don't have an effect. Sorry.
Vocals have no fucking effect on genre. I'm sorry, but it's all about the music. I've heard metalcore with death metal vocals and melodeath with metalcore vox. It doesn't change anything.

Sorry, but you're absolutely wrong here, in my opinion, but I don't think you are going to concede the point (I'd still like to hear a hard rock band that sounds like In Flames) so think whatever you want. I believe vocals are like any other instrument and definately contribute to the genre of a band, you clearly don't, so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that point ;)

I don't see Jesper or any of the boys leaving In Flames any time soon. They're one of the most stable bands out there, are making loads of money, and are on the rise. Jesper's a big part of this, he won't quit.

Okay, so if the guys from Maroon5 came together with heavy distortion and lyrics that rocked but still sang like four part major harmonies, it wouldn't change the genre at all?
Don't think so...

At the end of the day, if there was only proper singing on Colony/Clayman they wouldn't be considered melodic death albums, they'd be heavy metal in the vain of a heavier Iron Maiden. Vocals definately affects genre, but I don't see that there can even really be an argument over that point so I'm not going to continue to justify a fairly obvious point.

Vocals habe (obviously) effect on genres. But not always though.

Take children of bodom for example, are they melodic death metal cause they have harsh vocals? ofcourse not, they are power metal just with harsh vocals, simply as that.

on the other side; are metal bands with death metal riffs but without growling vocals death metal? not realy!

Right song structure / riffs + right vocals for the = genre

I wouldn't class COB as Power Metal... elements of PM, but they've also got elements of thrash and melodeath. They're difficult to classify.

Okay, so if the guys from Maroon5 came together with heavy distortion and lyrics that rocked but still sang like four part major harmonies, it wouldn't change the genre at all?
Don't think so...
Not sure what you're saying.
If Maroon 5 started using intense distortion it would obviously have a significant effect.

I wouldn't class COB as Power Metal... elements of PM, but they've also got elements of thrash and melodeath. They're difficult to classify.
Melodic extreme metal.
I'm sick and fucking tired of COB.

Well, yes, their early records ''Something wild'' and ''Hatebreeder'' could be called power / thrash metal.

But yeah, some people call them melodic death metal, some even death metal (those who do, probably also think that cradle of shit is black metal :lol:)

I would say; early Cob = power / thrash with harsh vocals
new cob = power/ speed metal with harsh vocals.

:)

WeAreInFlames, vocals are like any other instrument, and they do have an effect on genre.
Take Colony for example, without the growling vocals it would've been a heavy metal album, not melodic death, right?
Also, take bands like Muse for example, if their singer started growling/screaming, they probably wouldn't be classified as alternative rock, more like alternative metal or something along those lines.
Also, I'm tired of all of these genres, people should get that really great music, can't be classified by genre. If something can't be classified by genre, it's something new and innovative, right?