So i spent 2 1/2 hours reading about the Holocaust until 3am last night....

AussieTerry84

\m/ Scanner Scrag \m/
Jun 22, 2008
....and it got me wondering if such a conflict or scenario in the same sort of scale would ever happen again.

The only scenario I could see would involve North Korea, its well known they have concentration camps but to what extent I don't know and now that they are testing nukes that makes the future for the closed off country not look so good.

Some pretty amazing reading, was all done on wikipedia, read up about that Vrbar guy, him and an old guy escaped from Auchwitz and wrote up a 32 page report for the allies about what was going on there. The guy in charge of the jews who was in talks with the NAzi's a fellow named "Kastner" i think wouldn't let their report out until after 400,000 more jews were taken from hungary to the concentration camp all thinking they were being relocated to the East.

Kastner (i think thats how its spellt) eventually moved to Israel and in the 50's even though he was head of the "Blood For Goods" or what ever it was called whereby this committee would give the Nazi's trucks, supplies and etc for Jewish lives, was sentenced as a Nazi collaborator, as it was discovered he knew EXACTLY what the Nazi's were doing but still wouldn't tell the jewish people that they were being sent of to be murdered. It's quite funny as he only managed to save something like 1,500 jews that were freed on a special train (the judge in the case saw this as just a gift from the nazi's to shut him up). So he saved 1,500 lives but let 400,000 lives go without letting them know what was gonna happen so they could atleast go down fighting. So yeah eventually this Kastner guy was asassinated by the Israel underground at the time.

In today's age you could never see something like WW2 and the concetration camps happening, to us it just seems like just a big fantasy sort of thing.

But to read up about it and get right into the real meat of it is quite amazing.
As soon as children arrived at Auchwitz they were taken aside and executed straight away either that or they were put aside for medical experiments!

Sounds to me like Ferret's suggesting the Holocaust never happened. Maybe while he's over in Europe he can do some first hand research at some of the places where it didn't happen. I'm sure he'll find lots of places in Germany where he can freely espouse such beliefs.

the issue that something like the Holocaust can easily happen again.

Bosnia and the Balkan Wars had mass graves from genocidial raids on villages, the two main branches of Islam will probably turn on each other in a global conflict, Israel and Palistein is great trouble spot.

anywhere where you have peoples in opposition and holding long standing grudges and hatred you can have such evils occur.
It doesn't take much, only something small to stir up old anger -almost always to do with money and people losing things that they had grown accustomed to (such as the economic collapse of Germany and the harsh conditions imposed on them after World War 1).

so, look for another one coming soon pretty much. :(

Ethnic/religious/whatever cleansing has happened on a large scale various times since the Holocaust, it's just that the involving Hitler gets the most attention because it happened to westerners.

This is true. Many people weren't even aware of the Rwanda thing until "Hotel Rwanda" was released. I couldn't believe that. Don't people even watch a little bit of the news?

They probably watch news on the commercial channels, which is just shit. Stories about Nicole Kidman take priority over world news.

The only scenario I could see would involve North Korea, its well known they have concentration camps but to what extent I don't know and now that they are testing nukes that makes the future for the closed off country not look so good

In regards to the North Korea situation, they would never be stupid enough to actual fire a nuclear missile. It's all a tactic to just crowbar aid out of the international community. I'm sure if someone actually called their bluff, they wouldn't fire a missile at another country... doing so would likely result in the US (and possibly Russia depending on where the missile goes) turning all of NK into a carpark

I read a brilliant article this morning about why they would test a nuke now... they usually start saber-rattling in the months before winter to get money / food since their agriculture sector is... well, they don't have one. So without foreign aid, most of the population would starve or freeze

The point where the issue really gets messy is China. All it would take is one errant missile which crosses the NK / China border and all hell will break loose!

Seeing as North Korea is really just a Chinese puppet state, they won't do anything without China's say so. If they do, the Chinese will march all the way to the South Korean border and kill everything they see. And no one will do anything because NK is "evil". Despite the fact that no one from the west was on very good terms with Vietnam in the late 70s, no one cared when they invaded Kampuchea and overthrew the Khmer Rouge (look that one up, Tez). No one tried to stop Tanzania when they invaded Uganda (although they were provoked, but at least it saved South Africa from having to do it, which is fair enough considering they were tied down in a war against the Cubans in Angola).

One thing that im intrigued by is the stories that will come flooding out of North Korea once the invisible wall of silence comes tumbling down.
We've heard abit from an aussie aid worker who was there but i'm really interested to hear what the locals have to say.