So im making the final switch from to Logic to Reaper

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
however theres a couple of things nagging me about it.

editing is a slight pain atm but im pretty sure thats because i dont have flextime to let me just nudge stufff into place i know reaper has slip editing but ive yet to utilise it properly and i cant seem to fathom Adam's autopocket :(

unfortunate and somewhat retarded i know but i was looking for some clarification. i've downloaded the SWS extentions but i dont know how to get them to work and i dont know of a good workflow for editing guitars in reaper :/

also in logic if i slowed down the tempo it slowed down the audio helping me track certain parts for weaker players without having to do so much flexing.

if anyone could help with any of those things. id be more than grateful

...actually i'd probably go down on your dog

Unless there's some way of making logic less CPU hungry in which I'll stick to my guns and have reaper for midi drum mapping

i tried reaper and admittedly vsts didnt seem to consume nearly as much cpu but i had a problem with my system "overloading" at far lower percentages than i was used to..
i figured the trade off wasnt worth it..
i probably wouldve ended up using an external editor if id have stuck with it.....
reaper IS a great DAW though,no question about it..

sorry if that want very helpful......

also in logic if i slowed down the tempo it slowed down the audio helping me track certain parts for weaker players without having to do so much flexing.

Right click on the "Rate: 1.0" and check "Preserve pitch in audio...". Then you can change the rate number as you need (.9, .8, whatever), record and then put it back to 1.

Tell us exactly your workflow for guitar editing (or how you want it to be) that maybe I can help you. There´s so much you can do with Reaper to suit your needs that I don´t think you'll ever going back to Logic.

Well in logic after tracking the part I'd choose polyphonic complex flexing and then nudge everything around little bits here and there but obviously that does all the transient detecting then lays markers I can stretch.

AND! for some reason logic has unexplained CPU surges when running playback sometimes :/

In my experience the stuff that kills Logic is usually having too many regions/flex markers. As long as you're running a high enough buffer setting when mixing(1024 samples) and bounce your tracks in place when you're finished editing you shouldn't have problems. Are you bouncing your flex tracks in place after you finished editing them?

One other thing that can slow down Logic immensely is having too many flex markers in a region. If you've got a full song in one region it often helps chopping that region up into smaller pieces and editing piece by piece. Four one minute long regions with flex markers take up much less CPU than one for minute long region with the same amount of flex markers as the other regions combined.

In my experience the stuff that kills Logic is usually having too many regions/flex markers. As long as you're running a high enough buffer setting when mixing(1024 samples) and bounce your tracks in place when you're finished editing you shouldn't have problems. Are you bouncing your flex tracks in place after you finished editing them?

One other thing that can slow down Logic immensely is having too many flex markers in a region. If you've got a full song in one region it often helps chopping that region up into smaller pieces and editing piece by piece. Four one minute long regions with flex markers take up much less CPU than one for minute long region with the same amount of flex markers as the other regions combined.

I never thought of that. Ima try that dude thank you very much :)

Now only if it had a random colour function :p

For time stretching in REAPER, go to the View menu and select Dynamic Split. Adjust the settings so that it detects every transient but there are no mistriggers, and slice the track. Then hold Alt while hovering over a split and it should show two hands(sometimes it will only show one you have to move the mouse around a bit) and you can time stretch both items at the same time.

bro I would bet my ass on it. Reaper wont give you more power then logic.
The only program that gave me nightmares WAS kontakt 4. But with the new update everything works fine.

About flex time and stuff.

You can simple edit everything and then bounce in place, the cpu hit is now gone.

After tracking everything bring up the buffer as high as possible.

if you realy have some other problems, delete the logic preferences and maybe that helps.

Always use an extra HD for you audio stuff. (if you are on a imac use a firewire drive with 7200rpm and daisy chain it with your interface)
works with most quality interfaces like rme, metric halo ....

if thats NO option go for a good usb 2.0 hd with 7200rpm

bro I would bet my ass on it. Reaper wont give you more power then logic.
The only program that gave me nightmares WAS kontakt 4. But with the new update everything works fine.

About flex time and stuff.

You can simple edit everything and then bounce in place, the cpu hit is now gone.

After tracking everything bring up the buffer as high as possible.

if you realy have some other problems, delete the logic preferences and maybe that helps.

Always use an extra HD for you audio stuff. (if you are on a imac use a firewire drive with 7200rpm and daisy chain it with your interface)
works with most quality interfaces like rme, metric halo ....

if thats NO option go for a good usb 2.0 hd with 7200rpm

Thanks dude :)

i really didnt want to have to move from logic if i didnt have to but the cpu issue was really getting to me,

i have a seagate usb 1tb drive but how do i daisy chain that to my interface bro?

and do you know where to find my logic prefs?

I made the exact opposite switch a year and a half ago and have yet to regret it one bit. Reaper is good, but I'm just so much more into the workflow of Logic (though I have to admit, I like PT9 better for editing).

And yes, commit with bounce in place. I always save a new file with committed edits (and bounced S2.0, often some of the other software instruments as well) when I enter mixing stage.