So like, anyone care to share their "I bought a house" story?

Doomcifer said:
Dude, HOW THE FUCK can you afford a house on your own?
Shit I dunno, nikkuh?! :tickled: Between car payment and rent I'm up to $1300/month, I plan on either wrapping the car into the mortgage or doing one of those ARM loans to keep my overall payments low so jumping up another bill or two a month won't be a big deal. Just no more recording equipment and excess CDs until my next raise (or later), that's fine.
Demilich said:
My parents' house (that I live in) cost us $525,000.. and we could only afford that cause my dad inherited a pile of cash from my grandfather! $350 US sounds like a LOT to pay for a decent place to live. Our place is like 3400 square feet, which is pretty damned big even for 5 people.
:lol: 3400 sq. ft. is a fucking HUGE house in California, seriously. Probably a million $ or more, depending on the location. Why am laughing? That sucks!

The house for $289k I just looked at is okay, has a decent sized yard, and is around 1400 sq. ft. For brand new that's a pretty good deal.

You ever been to that town Clint Eastwood used to be the mayor of? What was it called... Carmel? Yeah, that's the one. Fuckin crazy looking houses. So my dad and I go into a real estate company's store... most of em cost upwards of TWO or THREE MILLION!! WHAT THE FUCK?

I think you should have gotten the house in the mountains, then you could be like this every day
One%20Inch%20Man.jpeg

Yeah... damn commute was too far though, at least an hour each morning, and then who knows how long / dangerous during winter months. If I worked in the mountains that would rule, but commerce isn't exactly booming up there (nor should it).

That picture was taken about 10 minutes away from the houses up there too, that area is so gorgeous. :(

That'd help, definitely. Actually, just have Los Angeles get all blow'd up, then let the rest of the idiots from SoCal repopulate it as they see fit, creating more room for those of us wishing to stay in the other areas.

Hmm, Kim Jong Il could make this happen I'll bet... :zombie:

:kickass: Second ÆNEMA reference this week, huzzah!

So did you live in California or just visit? I know you've mentioned San Fran before (best city in the whole state, best I've been to anyhow).

Just visited for 2 weeks in the summer. Actually, we flew into SF, drove down through Monterey, Carmel, San Luis Obispo, and some other towns.. to LA (which was a fucking annoying city, but I bought a pile of cds from Amoeba), drove out to Vegas for a day, up to Yosemite for a day or two, back to SF (WTF AMOEBA CD BUYING EXTRAVAGANZA PART 2) for a few days, then flew home. It was, all in all, a fucking awesome trip!

Edit:
fuck, i'm starting to think that people might not be so wrong when they call me a rich bastard.

Other than not going to Death Valley or Joshua Tree, you hit the best areas! :kickass: LA is... blech. I can't even discuss the good qualities anymore, I used to defend the museums, venues, food, etc. but there's just so much shit there it's not even worth dealing with. Sucks.

Amoeba SF > Amoeba LA

I forgot to mention that we drove through Death Valley on the way from Vegas to Yosemite. It was awesome... best part: to the right of the road, all we can see are sand dunes streching out for quite a while.. and there's a road sign that reads "Sand Dunes -->". That made me laugh forever :)

What's a Joshua Tree?

I love that sign!!! :lol: There's also one that says Dirty Socks, or something like that. Desert folk are strange.

Joshua Tree is the best place in the world, in the Mohave Desert which is probably 200 miles southeast of Death Valley (EDIT: I guess both DV and JT are technically in the Mohave, and JT is directly south of DV, what am I, a cartographer?). When I die that's where I want my ashes scattered. And, a joshua tree is this:

desert1.JPG

So old. So beautiful.

Here's a link to pimp my Death Valley pictures

A 2 or 3 million dollar home in Carmel would be a shitty "starter" home. The Carmel and Pebble Beach area has homes that are easily in the 20 to 30 million dollar range . . . those are the nice ones.

Just so you know . . . the San Luis Obispo area blows away any other area in the state. I haven't been to San Diego, but I think SLO is much nicer than Malibu or Carmel. Malibu is too congested and Carmel is too foggy.

SLO is like a mini SF, so yeah it definitely rules. San Diego isn't as great as people make it out to be, but has some really nice areas (and a few real shit ones, like Santee). My grandpa has an avocado ranch down there which kicks an enormous amount of ass.

The names of the towns (if you can call them that) in the desert were quite the laugh too if i remember correctly! And hell, we got to see some DAMNED big trees in Yosemite (largest trees ever, I think).

Desert town = 3 hermaphrodite cousins, 1 boarded up Circle K, 50 sq. miles of dirt. <3

Nate The Great said:
Just so you know . . . the San Luis Obispo area blows away any other area in the state. I haven't been to San Diego, but I think SLO is much nicer than Malibu or Carmel. Malibu is too congested and Carmel is too foggy.

I can't remember what was in San Luis Obispo... anything special?
Carmel was just interesting because of the architecture and the "i couldn't afford to live in a cardboard box by the side of these streets" appeal.