So like, anyone care to share their "I bought a house" story?

Demilich said:
I can't remember what was in San Luis Obispo... anything special?
Carmel was just interesting because of the architecture and the "i couldn't afford to live in a cardboard box by the side of these streets" appeal.

Most people don't go through SLO because it isn't on a major interstate. It is on highway 101. It isn't really known for one thing. It just has a ton of cool things to see and do.

Carmel is pretty awesome, though. The scenery at Pebble Beach and along the cliffs at Carmel is about as amazing as it gets.

The only way to afford several mortgages with an averagely payed job is to fuse them together. The down payments are much easier that way... Thankfully, I suffer from a weird phobia that prohibits me from operating a vehicle bigger than a bisycle...

I live in a 150 square feet apartment, by the way, which I got a great deal on. And soon I'll probably inherit a nice house right on the other side of the street from the school I work at, and it's a two-in-one kinda deal, so I'll be able to rent out half of it and probably make about $1500 a month on that. Yup, owning stuff is great. :cool:

Crimson Velvet said:
The only way to afford several mortgages with an averagely payed job is to fuse them together. The down payments are much easier that way... Thankfully, I suffer from a weird phobia that prohibits me from operating a vehicle bigger than a bisycle...

I live in a 150 square feet apartment, by the way, which I got a great deal on. And soon I'll probably inherit a nice house right on the other side of the street from the school I work at, and it's a two-in-one kinda deal, so I'll be able to rent out half of it and probably make about $1500 a month on that. Yup, owning stuff is great. :cool:

A 150 sq. ft. apartment? I seriously have a walk-in closet that big.o_O

Hehe, I didn't take all that seriously... But forty square feet apartments aren't all that unusual here, so mine really isn't that bad... And it as the most important quality: Decently padded walls, so i can play loud music...

40!?!?! My storage unit where I keep all my extra/useless shit is 50 sq. ft., no way could I live in there! Well, I guess I could, but not with such amenities like a bed!

If you only have a desk, a fridge and a bed, you can, quite easily. I did it myself for a few months. It's a real pain, though, sharing a kitchen and bathroom with a dozen other people...

This is mostly for students and imigrants, though... Most other people can at least afford their own bathroom...

I live in the Northern Virginia area and house pricing has gotten absolutely ridiculous here. I guess they assume everyone around here made (or is making) a mint in the technology field or something. It's possible, but MAN do I feel for the newlyweds around here. We bought our place 9 years ago (3 story townhome) and have been looking for a couple years. We bought for $102,000 and can sell for $250,000 but new homes around here cost anywhere from $430,000 (barebones single family 1700-2100 sq ft.) to around $800,000 closer in to DC. Crazy! We're kicking ourselves for not buying a place that was borderline affordable for us two years ago for $330,000. We could sell that sucker for $600,000 today easy. Gotta love it.

I lived somewhat near where James Dean wrecked and died. Lou Ferigno also lived in the small town I worked in CA . . . of course so did Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. Too bad I'm not there to comfort poor Jen.