So what do people on other forums think of us?

For me this is the really first forum I could surf for more than 3 years (I'm here since 2003).
I used to read newsgroups but then my patience vanished... I mean instead of welcoming new buddies they just slammed the "door" on them because they quoted messages the wrong way, reporting the original text after the answer.
No nerdy stupid shit on here ;)
It feels great to read this forums, you don't have assholes floating around, you can speak a lot about techinical stuff and of course going offtopic as well.
No fucking morons over here ;)

Haha, wow Jeff, on the surface you did seem to be incredibly out of nowhere like "this place sucks and so do all of you!!," but I'm sure if I had spent years there reading such n00bitude as "reamping compresses your signal" (WTF!?!?!?!) and the general attitude of "well I heard this amp live and that sound sucked balls so even though the guy dialing it in might've been pants-on-head retarded I'm gonna pass judgement on it," well, I'd be pretty bitter too. That thread confirms what I already thought - that guitar-centric forums (rather than production) are guaranteed to be filled with misinformation and idiocy, because the people there don't know dick about how to actually get a good recorded tone, which will always turn out to also be a good live tone as well, though it won't seem that way at first (I have to admit, it took me awhile to get used to the low-gain sound, but now I can't have it any other way). Yeah, fuck that place, and hear hear to this place! :kickass:

And Oz, I feel like perhaps you're being a little hard on GS - granted, you've spent a whole lot more time on there than I, but I've still come across some good threads during searches, and I'm sure there are some real seasoned vets of recording on there that acknowledge that skill is far more important that gear. HOWEVER, I know all too well a different breed; the people who get elitist about gear because that's how they feel they're better at recording/production; by trying to talk the talk of extreme snobbery, they hope that people will think they've got the chops to back it up (rarely the case). Trust me, going to school with a big music industry department, I deal with those shitheads every day, and yet thanks to my reading and of course this place, I'm a geography major and know more than pretty much every one of those douches :lol:

Oh, and I just realized there were a lot more posts there before they got deleted, I'll bet that was the REALLY good stuff :heh:

This is the only board left that I don't outright hate anymore. It's remained a fairly good place for technique and gear-related discussion for many years, and for that alone it is unique and deserves respect.

After a while, when you're seen many of the same topics, techniques, tips etc. pop up, you tend to get tired of it. But I've been here for a very long time now, and that's inevitable.

The great thing is that this place is always on the cutting edge of new techniques and software. Pioneering impulses used for cabinet modeling, getting usable sounds with software, experimenting with new samplers etc. This place evolves with the times and doesn't stagnate or hold onto old techniques and sounds for dear life.

Over on Gearslutz you're bound to get more professional and more 'classic' industry techniques, but that place really lacks the passion of this forum. They have such a large population of absolute snobs that it's hard to know what to take seriously and what to seriously run through the bullshit x1000 filter. The way they talk it seems like forking out $8000 for stereo converters will make the world go round smoother. Anything below several grand is instantaneously dubbed 'brittle and harsh' or 'cold and digital' even when it blind tests most of them pick the cheaper hardware. In a sense that place embodies many things wrong with the industry, and it's sort of a good thing that with the state of the industry changing, more of those people are being phased out.

The one thing I would love to see on this place is more advice from the professionals. Some times I see things that one can consider to be dubious at best, because many of the people here didn't pick up their techniques in a studio with an experienced engineer. If we had some more stuff like what Andy used to give out in the early days, that would be fantastic. More threads like the Clayman thread, how to optimally dial a TS, what to shoot for, mic techniques etc. There's a bit too much of this 'rate my $2 mix using freeware off the net and samples I downloaded from the net'. In one sense that's how new benchmarks in home-studio quality are set, but all the same you tend to tire of it after a while and desire something more.

This is the only board left that I don't outright hate anymore. It's remained a fairly good place for technique and gear-related discussion for many years, and for that alone it is unique and deserves respect.

After a while, when you're seen many of the same topics, techniques, tips etc. pop up, you tend to get tired of it. But I've been here for a very long time now, and that's inevitable.

The great thing is that this place is always on the cutting edge of new techniques and software. Pioneering impulses used for cabinet modeling, getting usable sounds with software, experimenting with new samplers etc. This place evolves with the times and doesn't stagnate or hold onto old techniques and sounds for dear life.

Over on Gearslutz you're bound to get more professional and more 'classic' industry techniques, but that place really lacks the passion of this forum. They have such a large population of absolute snobs that it's hard to know what to take seriously and what to seriously run through the bullshit x1000 filter. The way they talk it seems like forking out $8000 for stereo converters will make the world go round smoother. Anything below several grand is instantaneously dubbed 'brittle and harsh' or 'cold and digital' even when it blind tests most of them pick the cheaper hardware. In a sense that place embodies many things wrong with the industry, and it's sort of a good thing that with the state of the industry changing, more of those people are being phased out.

The one thing I would love to see on this place is more advice from the professionals. Some times I see things that one can consider to be dubious at best, because many of the people here didn't pick up their techniques in a studio with an experienced engineer. If we had some more stuff like what Andy used to give out in the early days, that would be fantastic. More threads like the Clayman thread, how to optimally dial a TS, what to shoot for, mic techniques etc. There's a bit too much of this 'rate my $2 mix using freeware off the net and samples I downloaded from the net'. In one sense that's how new benchmarks in home-studio quality are set, but all the same you tend to tire of it after a while and desire something more.

A big +1.

I think a lot of the stuff Andy has covered years ago in posts (e.g. which drum skins he favours etc). Its great that we have had people like Colin Richardson, Jens Bogren, Jacob Hansen, "brandy" (can't remember the guys name!) amongst others come here and offer us stuff (even if its only a little).

The stuff I'd like to see more of round here would be more stories of tracking I guess and like more general views and philosophies on recording etc. I think techniques can be covered over and over again and so much of it is specific to the situation and not really applicable at other times.

Well, i'm not one of the oldest users but have been here for 2 good years now.
I found this forum thru a friend (The-Zeronaut) and i'm still grateful!

I've learnt a lot of this forum, i think i owe you guys a lot, knowledge, samples, self-criticism, settings...

I've been in some other forums before, but now I almost only surf thru this one, as it's the only forum i've been on that still improves, new people comes with new methods and there aren't so many noobs bumping old topics and all that common stuff to other forums.

Thank you very much!!
-Erik

Great post, dude!

Hey, I got lucky with the Clayman thread... I just asked the right question!

If the economy keeps going the way it's going, I might have some time on my hands to write some more stuff. :)

Well, i'm not one of the oldest users but have been here for 2 good years now.
I found this forum thru a friend (The-Zeronaut) and i'm still grateful!

I've learnt a lot of this forum, i think i owe you guys a lot, knowledge, samples, self-criticism, settings...

I've been in some other forums before, but now I almost only surf thru this one, as it's the only forum i've been on that still improves, new people comes with new methods and there aren't so many noobs bumping old topics and all that common stuff to other forums.

Thank you very much!!
-Erik

thanks Erik :headbang:

but.. werent you the one who told me about this forum ? XDD
im confused right now :lol:

THIS FORUM IS AWESOME.

A few places are interesting but most have their faults. I'm still on good terms with most at SevenString (although more than a few are full of shit and I've done well not to get my ass banned by saying so directly), and there are a few others here and there, but the only problem here is that people don't send me gifts in attempts to win my hand in marri... no, wait, scratch that. Actually, it would be nice if I could slap a few people through the tubes, but this place is actually amusing.

Jeff