So, what gigs are you attending in 2007?

What inspired you to put the colosseum up?

im absolutely in love with ancient rome. not so much the empire but the roman republic is one of my biggest loves. i read books and research and everything. not for any reason other than enjoyment really, i mean, i dont particularly want to be a historian or archeologist, its just really fun and interesting. particularly from about 150BCE-30BCE.

im absolutely in love with ancient rome. not so much the empire but the roman republic is one of my biggest loves. i read books and research and everything. not for any reason other than enjoyment really, i mean, i dont particularly want to be a historian or archeologist, its just really fun and interesting. particularly from about 150BCE-30BCE.

That's exactly like me, i read books on the Freemasons. For some reason they really fascinate me and i just like to know and read about them even though i'm not one myself.

I wish I was so fascinated by Rome, it would make studying to acute details of Roman Law a LOT more interesing :lol:

OMG! SAME HERE! got so many stuff about Rome. I'm very interested in their warfare and politics

I wish I was so fascinated by Rome, it would make studying to acute details of Roman Law a LOT more interesing :lol:

haha i love roman law! it reflects the culture so perfectly. do you study whothe laws were made by and under what circumstances? i read colleen mcculloughs 6 book masters of rome series and it gave me such an insight into the daily life of a roman noble in the first century BCE. the legislating was fascinating.

OMG! SAME HERE! got so many stuff about Rome. I'm very interested in their warfare and politics

haha thats awesome. i love everything. just the entire culture was amazing. how they came from a single village on a hill to (imo) most influential culture ever to have been is incredible.

hannibal was amazing. he's one of the few ancients ive researched that arent roman. theyve mostly been senators like cato, aemilius scaurus etc. but i love the generals too. caesar, marius, and labienus are probably my favourites of the generals.

and how about Sun Tzu's The Art of War? it just sits there looking very elitish (is that actually an english word or did I just make something up) on my bookshelf but I find it hard to understand (definitely need my dictionaries reading that one)

I'm more into the roman empire, to be honest, especially August and Claudius

haha i love roman law! it reflects the culture so perfectly. do you study whothe laws were made by and under what circumstances? i read colleen mcculloughs 6 book masters of rome series and it gave me such an insight into the daily life of a roman noble in the first century BCE. the legislating was fascinating.

Well, we kind of started at the latest point, looking at Justinian's codification of Roman law. We then looked at what this codification was derived from (the works of important jurists such as Ulpian or Gaius), and those who helped carry the codification out (such as Tribonian).

At that point, we actually began to examine the details of Roman law. We looked at Gaius' tripartite division of law (persons, actions and things), and examined each in turn. Slavery, or the paterfamilias, or marriage, would come under persons, for example.

More recently, I recall us looking at property. Concepts such as bonitary ownership, the distinction between res mancipi and res nec mancipi, ceremonial transfer of property in the presence of a praetor (cessio in iure), and servitudes (both praedial and personal. Usucapio still exists in Scots law, it's known as a "life-rent".

We've covered much more, but I can't think waht off the top of my head lol. Basically, Scots law is based on Roman law generally, and my Director of Studies told me that if I ever want to practice in a court of law here, the course in Civil Law is mandatory.