so why do SX play in d tuning?

Uh... yeah. I can imagine it makes playing some of the low chromatic runs that need lots of stretching SLIGHTLY easier but judging by MJR... no.

I guess it gives Michael Romeo easier fret positions when he wants to compose and play in a particular key. "Sea of Lies" just wouldn't be the same any other way. Of course, it gives the songs themselves a "heavier" sound, which is good.

Also maybe allows for better keys to play in for pinella. Maybe? D minor is a nice key to play on keys, but then again so is Eminor . But then, from E if you modulate to B minor and similar keys they are not so nice to play, whereas the equivilent in D tuning would be Amin, and Gmin is the subdominant, which are pretty good keys.

I dunno. To be honest it's probably just for heavyness.

DoktorShred said:
Also maybe allows for better keys to play in for pinella. Maybe? D minor is a nice key to play on keys, but then again so is Eminor . But then, from E if you modulate to B minor and similar keys they are not so nice to play, whereas the equivilent in D tuning would be Amin, and Gmin is the subdominant, which are pretty good keys.

I dunno. To be honest it's probably just for heavyness.
Im such a musical n00b lol

DoktorShred said:

I fail to see how one key is "better" than another, unless you're talking about white/black key positions. Isn't it subjective?

The strings on the guitar and bass are looser when tuned down a full step, so perhaps they do it so MJR can get wider bends and tremelo effects. Just a suggestion.

I've noticed that I find it easier to play a bass faster when the strings are looser. Perhaps it's just me, though.

Depends on the playing style. Personally I also like loose strings for tremelo, tight for fingering (left hand). Yeah, heaviness - you can set up a guitar's action however you'd like without changing the tuning if you have someone who knows what they're doing doing it. And I don't know of any songs where they played in D minor...besides, it's Pinella. I think he'd be fine playing in F# if he had to.

Progbass said:
And so that Russ doesn't have to sing so high all the time, maybe?
That probably wouldn't make that big of a difference...because his voice probably dictates the vocal part in the writing...not the part/key dictating his voice.

D minor and G minor are my fav keys cos they are easy to play (for keys) and they sound great. That would be the reason i'd play in that tuning though atm the reason is just so I can play SymX (.....and Children of Bodom). The action is better too, but my strings are set too low neway and it's a little buzzy around the 7th or 8th frets......but thats the price u gotta pay for good action on a crap guitar i guess :s.

Maybe they just like the way it sounds...

like me, i love this tuning. dunno why, by the riffs i play sound best in this tuning, no higher, no lower... Its just a great tuning for the brand of metal i guess.

its probly originally from romeo playing some songs in this tuning and it just stuck, just like the way i tuned down to D to play some symphonyx stuff and its stuck. though i wanna get a seven string standard tuned :)

MorphineChild205 said:
I fail to see how one key is "better" than another, unless you're talking about white/black key positions. Isn't it subjective?

The strings on the guitar and bass are looser when tuned down a full step, so perhaps they do it so MJR can get wider bends and tremelo effects. Just a suggestion.

I've noticed that I find it easier to play a bass faster when the strings are looser. Perhaps it's just me, though.

Yeah, if you play keys you would understand. To play really fast scales even if you are a good keyboardist is pretty hard if it is an awkward key like say, C sharp major. However if you are insanely good like jordan rudess it doesn't really make much of a difference.

So yes, it is to do with black/white key positions, except it's not really that subjective.

DoktorShred said:
Yeah, if you play keys you would understand. To play really fast scales even if you are a good keyboardist is pretty hard if it is an awkward key like say, C sharp major. However if you are insanely good like jordan rudess it doesn't really make much of a difference.

So yes, it is to do with black/white key positions, except it's not really that subjective.

Or an even more whacky key would be C Sharp Phrygian Harmonic. :D

If you want heavy take it to t3h next 1337 step: drop C tuning. That's just violent and scares little children! I actually don't know any songs in drop C though... at least can't think of any now. Wait... are you talking about drop d or actual d tuning? WTF? Better be drop D cause it pwns.

ptah knemu said:
Or an even more whacky key would be C Sharp Phrygian Harmonic. :D
Or B Flat Locrian or D double harmonic! I use D double harmonic a lot. Or maybe F Sharp mixolydian double harmonic lol I doubt that exists.