Do you like Opeth?

Opeth are Death Metal with faggot inducing pop styled acoustic songs.

Brendan Behan: "Critics are like eunuchs in a harem: they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves."

Not entirely pertinent but a random mind will wander.

Brendan Behan: "Critics are like eunuchs in a harem: they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves."

Not entirely pertinent but a random mind will wander.

and you have balls, i guess. :loco:

I am a big Opeth fan and was wondering if there are any Opeth fans among you. Not that SX and Opeth are so alike musically, but they are both great.:cool: I however rate Opeth even higher than SX, just so thats said. Although SX make more enjoyable and less dark music.

Excellent band! Favorite song is Death Whispered a Lullaby:kickass:.

Can't take the grunts, growls and screams. At least Epica has Simone mostly in front, so I can kind of put up with the growls. If Opeth has anything close to that, with actual singing, I wouldn't mind hearing it. They sure are talented musicians, though.

Can't take the grunts, growls and screams. At least Epica has Simone mostly in front, so I can kind of put up with the growls. If Opeth has anything close to that, with actual singing, I wouldn't mind hearing it. They sure are talented musicians, though.

I Just got into them and have all there cd's , I don't like the growling either but they do have alot of songs that have no or little growling in it , but all there music is very good and when the singer sings clean he has a great voice

At least Epica has Simone mostly in front

At least? She couldn't sing if her life depended on it. Epica is horrible, and they're not like Opeth in any way. Åkerfeldt's growls and grunts adds power and energy, in Epics it's like having a fat man sit on your face when they try to growl or whatever they attempt to do.

The other day I listened to Opeth's first two albums for the first time in a while, and I realized that I prefer the sound of them to their newer stuff. I liked the counterpoint thing; it made the songs sound more epic and more melodic. Morningrise in particular is a great example of this. To me, they've yet to top epics such as Black Rose Immortal, The Night and the Silent Water, and To Bid You Farewell. Also, the newer stuff features the bass in a much more subdued role (I prefer my bass doing crazy shit). But then they did MAYH (which I dislike), followed by one of my favorites, Still Life.

I see Still Life as an early blueprint of all the albums they've released since then (minus Damnation). There is no weak song on it, and the style was carried over to their later work. Blackwater Park, while generally loved by everyone and their grandma, was not one of my favorites. It was above average, but it had too many duds (Harvest, Funeral Portrait, Dirge For November) to be a truly great album in my eyes. However, I must say that the strong tracks (Leper Affinity, Drapery Falls, the title track) are among Opeth's best of this period.

Enter Deliverance, which was pretty one-dimensional (granted it was supposed to be). At first I wasn't fond of songs like Wreath and BTPISIO, but I have since grown fond of them. And of course, the other three "big" songs on the album are excellent. Damnation is a bit of a conundrum, but I find it to be the Opeth album I listen to the most. The moods the band was able to create on this album, even without the use of their growl vocals, was amazing. Songs like Windowpane, Death Whispered A Lullaby, Hope Leaves, and To Rid the Disease are classics to me.

Ghost Reveries was the first Opeth album I heard, and while it took a while to grow on me, I instantly felt an attraction to the ability to mix raw heavy death metal with acoustic prettiness within the same song. Songs that come to mind include Ghost of Perdition, Harlequin Forest, and perhaps Baying of the Hounds. Watershed honestly didn't impress me that much, save for a few sections of certain songs. The tracks in general just didn't flow as well as Opeth's past works did; the songs seem choppy and broken-up. While I enjoyed sections of many of the songs (the funky dissonant carnival groove in The Lotus Eater comes to mind), it just didn't feel the same as the Opeth of old.

I agree about Watershed. A bit choppy, which is the exact opposite of previous Opeth efforts. They seemlessly transitioned from parts most mortals wouldn't even dare to. It was brilliant stuff... and Watershed lost a little bit of that. I still love it though.

im not even get started on opeth...haha i love them so much, such a great band. i have this really cheesy thread on the opeth forums professing my love for the band hahaha
but there really great, definitely up there with symphony x (my number one favorite band)

im not even get started on opeth...haha i love them so much, such a great band. i have this really cheesy thread on the opeth forums professing my love for the band hahaha
but there really great, definitely up there with symphony x (my number one favorite band)

Opeth is amazing. Symphony X is also my favorite band, but Opeth are 2nd, as I think they are superior to all other bands in creating specific moods in songs.

They are! And then they go off botching it with those rock-grinder vocals...pity...

Opeth does indeed have growly vocals! Other fun facts about Opeth:

* They play in 6/8 more than they do in 4/4.
* They like concept albums.
* The track Harlequin Forest from Ghost Reveries has never been played live.
* Mikael Åkerfeldt cites By the Pain I See in Others from Deliverance as his least favorite Opeth track.
* Original bassist Johan DeFarfalla used a 6-string bass on the Orchid and Morningrise albums.

Anyone else have any fun Opeth facts? The more you know!