Do you like Opeth?

contradict yourself right here, they have DM vocals, we know the subjects they write about and the doomy gloomy sound of the music, there is the atmosphere, its all around thier music.... death, you are the one who cant back anything up

Singing about death and having death metal vocals does not automatically make a band death metal. The atmosphere Opeth evokes and the riffing goes far away from what death metal actually is, I thought we made that perfectly clear a few pages back :rolleyes: I'll take Lykathea Aflame as an example, their lyrics are about spititual enlightenment and salvation and they still are more death metal than Opeth will ever be. Stylistically they have everything that Opeth does not have, they only sing about a subject that is not common in death metal. Btw, i'd like to see you point where I contradicted myself because I clearly never did anywhere on my posts, you're just just grasping at straws.

Here you have your little list of what death metal is supposed to sound like, but it doesnt matter, Opeth writes music about death, and sounds/feels like death, and they are primarilly a metal band = death metal. Then they have other influences, mix it up, take a song through many stages, in comes the progressive element = progressive death metal

''Of what death metal is supposed to sound like'' that is a funny statement on your part. Do you even know those bands dude? Are you conveniently ignoring what's being said here?

EXACTLY, why did you start the argument then ?

I didn't start start the argument just because I fuckin' wanted you that's for sure. It was just incidental, read the first page if you want to know the answer to your question. Btw, I also answered a question that you posed yourself at page four I believe and you got all butthurt that someone else thought they weren't death metal. Seems that the one who wanted to start an argument is you :lol:

Abit touchy are we ? Remember you started the arguement, why ? something to do with what their riffs sound like ? Did they push some boundries you arent happy about ?

Do you even read posts or do you just enjoy getting in shit that doesn't concern you? those posts didn't have anything to do with Opeth. I was responding to an idiotic comment that Slaydon wrote about death metal.

glad you mentioned child here, because it was like watching children play

You're not one to be talking about children when we were having perfectly civil discussion and you're taking cheap shots at me in a lame ass attempt to get a rise out of me. Yeah, real mature behavior Mr. Razor :rolleyes:

well at least here you admited that thrash was extreme, something you would later deny and noted that other techniques have been added, is this what Opeth has done ? other techniques used in their sound of ..... DEATH

When did I ever admitted thrash was extreme metal? you really need to learn how to pay attention.

[because your list explains this how, who the fuck was looking for homework? explain how they are removed, are they singing flower power songs now adays ? up lifting Van Halen type stuff? or is it just that progressive element again where they dont stick to some precast mold ?

I'll make this easy for you, opeth's music is much more rooted in progressive metal than in death metal, woop dee fuckin' do. You want see how true progressive death metal is done check out Psypheria.

[yes indeed, ^^ and all ^^^ of the above proves it
extremely fast tempo of the music so this would include thrash and "speed metal" then ? but what about Opeths pace, kind of slower isnt it ? wouldnt that disbar them from being "extreme" ?

I love how you conveniently ignore points and then start claiming shit, this was already talked about earlier.

again contradiction, you admit they draw influences of death metal but wont allow it, but rather grasp onto that word extreme which as I've shown, can be applied to many aspects of various music, yet "death" is pretty self explainatory and circumferences Opeths music and the term progressive exempts them from this set mold some insist on.

Yet again going around in circles. This was already talked about earlier and I won't even bother with it.

This is a really boring subject and i'm gonna make the case simple for you. The thing is, razor, you're are trying to make a case by making fallacious claims for which you clearly don't have the points to back such case with. Your whole argument is based on ''they have growls, sing about death and I feel death around me when I listen to them''. Some of us have already presented our points as to why we think they are not death metal. I even presented evidence by impressing upon you some of the most revered death metal pioneers and you're still conveniently ignoring that. So if you've got anything new to impress upon me then i'll be glad to respond, but I won't even bother with this if you're gonna keep rehashing the same old shit.

razoredge I think you're taking the genre names a little too literally, singing about death does not instantly make something Death Metal, in fact, the lyrical content of Opeth's songs has been ridiculously generalized here. And "extreme" (I've already said this but it seems you failed to notice it the first time.) is simply another genre name, it's not used in the literal sense of the word like "extremely", it's just the name given to Death and Black Metal. Going by your logic Black Metal would have to sing about Black and be Black.

I know Swabs and Ultimate Symphony for that matter, I take a word for what it is, regardless what group of professors sat down and tried to claim such word for themselves. Some want to consider death metal extreme, I consider Symphony X extreme and Opeth laid back (by comparision). I wasnt ignoring anything that has been said, nor have I not read and absorbed how this topic evolved, believe me little gets past me. By my not buying into this strict established classifacation system that you guys have I can more easily see all the contradiction and holes that are in it. All I've been doing is pointing them out. Everything I have read, including much of what Ultimate Sym and others posters have said ties Opeth into the Scandinavian Death Metal scene, and they put their own twist on it, which is to be expected by more progressive thinking musicians, that is those that dont follow some established statis quo. A statement was made.... "listen to _____ band if you want to hear progressive DM", which clearly indicates progressive revolves around some set pattern. This is totally rediculous to me having been around since the beginning of progressive "rock". For example Pink Floyd/Jethro Tull, both progressive but sound nothing alike, Kansas/Rush, same deal, ELP/Camel.... moving along a decade or so Fates Warning/Dream Theater all these bands have nothing in common with their song writing or sound.

So I stand firmly, Opeth is not very extreme, they are mostly about death, tied to the death metal scene and quite progressive in their way of going about song writing and their sound. In fact drawing many influences from music that does not fit your narrow "extreme" catagorization. Therefore they are a progressive death metal band that doesnt follow a precast mold as all progressive thinking musicians should be.

Independent thought is my most prized possession, I was never much of a follower. Carry on, follow and believe what you will, nothing wrong with that either

This is beyond retarded at this point...caring about such an arbitrarily semantic piece of nonsense as a genre name is one of the biggest detriments to music I've seen on this forum.

This is beyond retarded at this point...caring about such an arbitrarily semantic piece of nonsense as a genre name is one of the biggest detriments to music I've seen on this forum.

I couldn't have said it any better !!!!
Now Im waiting for the out of the Blue I think this band sucks so i need to keep saying it here no matter what the topic is.
Or thats just a bunch of wanking because i don't get it bullshit
Keep it simple who cares what anyone thinks of what you listen to Just call it what you want to

Opeth is my favorite band of all time.
I got into Symphony X about a year ago, but i don't listen to them that much, only when i feel i'm in SX mood. Yet, one of the best bands I've ever heard.

Here is a list of songs that i like very mutch after listing to all there cd over the past couple of months ( If anyone cares that is LOL!!)

Creedence - My Arms Your Hearse
Epilogue- - My Arms Your Hearse
The Apostle In Triumph - orchid
Under The Weeping Moon : Orchid
The Drapery Falls : Blackwater Park
a funeral portriat :Black water park
Bridge for november :Blackwater park
Patterns of ivory :Blackwater park
To Bid You Farewell : Morningrise
A Fair Judgement : Deliverance
forest of october : orchid
when : My Arms Your Hearse
Windowpane - damnation
In My Time Of Need - damnation
HARVEST - Blackwater park
BURDEN - watershed
Porcolen heart - Watershed
Forest Of October Live
The Lotus Eater - watershed
Hex Omega - watershed
Coil - watershed
Ending Credits - Damnation
Benighted - still life
Moonlapse Vertigo - still life
Face Of Melinda - Still life

And I like the whole Ghost reveries album

Well, you did choose some excellent songs, but are missing Bleak, Night and the Silent Water, The Moor, Demon of the Fall, Advent as well as a couple of other favourites of mine.

Well, you did choose some excellent songs, but are missing Bleak, Night and the Silent Water, The Moor, Demon of the Fall, Advent as well as a couple of other favourites of mine.

Well i will put these on the top of my list to go threw again
thanks