Do you like Opeth?

Why does picking Deliverance as one's favorite implies that? Opeth is my favorite band and Deliverance my favorite album. Yet, I barely listen to black, death (yes, I don't Opeth is strictly a DM band) or thrash metal anymore. I do like doom and progressive metal along with jazz/fusion and some classical.

C'mon, you serious?? Deliverance is as heavy as you can get, apart from A Fair Judgement, but even that song ends with a typical death metal riffage. Fuhget about it!

Nu Metal ???

In that genre all the bands are bad, so Wander's statement is still valid. :)

It's funny how some wannabe prog and metalheads live up by specific genres. For example they could find a cool sounding band but then read the band is labeled as nu metal and then they go "oh damn they are nu metal...I can't listen to them then, haha". Or dislike some prog metal song cuz it has some rapping or nu metal elements, honestly I don't give a crap what kind of genre some band sounds like I just listen to them by feeling.

C'mon, you serious?? Deliverance is as heavy as you can get, apart from A Fair Judgement, but even that song ends with a typical death metal riffage. Fuhget about it!

Firstly, it's nowhere near "as heavy as you can get", stop trying to talk about Death Metal when you know nothing about it.

Secondly, stop trying to categorize members of this forum, who are you to decide what people are? And why does it matter if they are a "thrasher" or not?

Thirdly, surely someone who is a "thrasher" as you call them, would listen to Thrash Metal, which is completely different to Death Metal.

Firstly, it's nowhere near "as heavy as you can get", stop trying to talk about Death Metal when you know nothing about it.

Secondly, stop trying to categorize members of this forum, who are you to decide what people are? And why does it matter if they are a "thrasher" or not?

Thirdly, surely someone who is a "thrasher" as you call them, would listen to Thrash Metal, which is completely different to Death Metal.

No, the term "thrasher" doesn't necessarily mean a thrash metal fan, but is a general term for all kinds of extreme metal lovers. Dig it?:rolleyes:

Actually, at least around here (region, not forum), thrasher refers specifically to thrash fans. Which is accurate. Honestly, i'm past my extreme metal phase. I still like some death metal and such, but it's usually not the fast death metal. Big fan of Obituary, Morbid Angel, just stuff that is heavy and rocks the fuck outta you. Which, by my definition, has little to do with thrashing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrasher_(disambiguation)

Not trying to argue semantics, just saying that a little care should be used when throwing around those terms lest someone *coughswabscough* fly off the handle. Though he has some points... categorizing people has little to do with the discussion. By saying that someone is a thrasher would honestly (for me) suggest that they like the first albums more since they have faster parts most of the time. Deliverance is faaaaar from that.

Gotta admit, when I saw Opeth with Cynic, I enjoyed the Opeth set a lot..... But Cynic were better.

I will agree with Zach on "Thrasher", but then ask, isnt some death metal an extension of thrash or thrash based ? I dont hear much if any thrash in Opeth, but I havent heard the older stuff either. Still being how Opeth is mostly a metal band that sings doom and gloom, death, spirits of the dead, grim reaper stuff plus evokes the mood of days after death.... make them a death metal band ? Then they have far reaching progressions, quite a bit of variance in sound and mood, plus moments of moody progressive rock and I even hear some pretty serious blues guitar solo work, wouldnt this make them quite progressive ? I think they are progressive/rock/metal thats mostly about death or feeling like dying.... but pretty much.... just Opeth. Which I can appreaciate coming from a time when bands were their own enity, their own creative take on non commercial rock, before the days of godzillion sub genres.

I say this because I dont see them following any precast mold, someone that has more music than me can correct me if they know where this thing Opeth has going on came from prior.

What I like alot about Opeth is the way the riff and rhythm progression are put together with the entire song compositions. Clean vocals are excellent and the grim reaper or devil himself is interesting (in small doses for me). I just can really only listen to them during the winter, when I have a wicked case of cabin fever. Not a mood I want in the spring or headed out on a hot summer night to par-tay... thats what anything Sammy Hagar is for.... :headbang:
:lol:

**I would like to hear Akerfeldt break his mold sometime and occasionally sing the heavier sections, somewhere between his reaper and super smooth soft voice.... just to hear him do it and how it would come out. Some topics beside zombies wondering the forest would be refreshing too, but maybe his hard core fans would shit on him if he tried something different.

Still an excellent creative band

I will agree with Zach on "Thrasher", but then ask, isnt some death metal an extension of thrash or thrash based ?

Death metal came to be when some bands wanted to create an even more extreme sound than the one the thrash bands of the 80's already had. As bands progressed other techniques were added to the mix (tremolo picking and blast beats for example). Even as this is true, calling someone that likes extreme metal a ''thrasher'' is incorrect.

Still being how Opeth is mostly a metal band that sings doom and gloom, death, spirits of the dead, grim reaper stuff plus evokes the mood of days after death.... make them a death metal band ?

No, Opeth's music is far too removed from death metal to be called death metal. Refer to the list I wrote earlier.

In Scandinavian folklore, there are a lot of creatures in the woods who abduct children, lure people into lakes or curse them or kill them in some way. Usually trolls, elves, nymphs, the nix or some other creature(s) involved, most derived from Norse mythology. And yeah, mostly during the evening or in the night.

Very true, forests can make people imagine some really weird shit :lol: For example, Ulver's Bergtatt tells the story of trolls that lure a girl into the forest and then take her.

I would like to hear Akerfeldt break his mold sometime and occasionally sing the heavier sections, somewhere between his reaper and super smooth soft voice.... just to hear him do it and how it would come out. Some topics beside zombies wondering the forest would be refreshing too,

Couldn't agree more.
Mind you, I was going to write the exact same thing, but I thought:

his hard core fans would shit on him if he tried something different.

...so whatever. :lol:

No, Opeth's music is far too removed from death metal to be called death metal.

I agree here. They have some elements with the genre but not so much as to be considered DM.

Talking about comparisons I think that if you compare a song like Dehumanized by Theory in Practice with Wreath by Opeth the differences will become rather clear. Theory in Practice is DM but Opeth, even in their heaviest, is not. Hell, even Bloodbath, with Mike doing the vocals, is a better comparison to note the differences.

This of course is not a bad thing. Opeth does not fit neatly into DM just as it does not fit neatly into PM. They share some elements with each style (and others as well) but lean enough towards progressive that they can be rightly labeled an "Extreme Progressive Metal" band (as Metal Archives has them). Personally I don't try to over think this stuff, to me Opeth is Opeth, a metal band that has it's own style and which I love to listen to.

Death metal came to be when some bands wanted to create an even more extreme sound than the one the thrash bands of the 80's already had. As bands progressed other techniques were added to the mix (tremolo picking and blast beats for example). Even as this is true, calling someone that likes extreme metal a ''thrasher'' is incorrect.

No, Opeth's music is far too removed from death metal to be called death metal. Refer to the list I wrote earlier.

Thrash is still thrash and if some DM band thrashes out the riffs they are thrash influenced. By the same token, if Opeth takes their style of metal, twists in a bit of Floydesque mood and sings about death, they can be considered death metal.

As with others I really dont give a shit what classification they fall under or some friggin list accumlated by media trend setters. Which is my point, who gives a shit if someone else thinks a metal band that evokes a doomy sound and sings about death is considered by them a death metal band ? Opeth goes beyond this simple subgenre classifacation but qualify as well by those two points alone. They sure as hell aint life metal.

Personally I don't try to over think this stuff, to me Opeth is Opeth, a metal band that has it's own style and which I love to listen to.

I agree. Categorizing sucks, it's doing more harm than good.

For me, there are three "categories":
- Decent music I listen to.
- Decent music I'm not listening to.
- Non-decent music that I don't give a shit about.

That's it. Now wtf is wrong about that?

really this sub genre thing has gotten so fucked up and all anyone needs to know is that one day... twenty years from now... all these bands will be down graded to the status of..... none other than.... wait for it.... wait..... "classic rock"

Couldn't agree more.
Mind you, I was going to write the exact same thing, but I thought:

...so whatever. :lol:

Well in the new album he does sing some of the heavier parts, ie: The Lotus Eater. Sounds wierd to have his very mellow voice with blastbeats in the background, but it was cool.