Do you like Opeth?

I would say check out Blackwater Park, and Damnation, and avoid Morning Rise or any of their earlier stuff (since you didn't like Orchid).
Morningrise has "To Bid You Farewell", which is one of their most romantic songs. It is WAY better than Orchid, but weaker than their best albums, Still Life, BWP, Damnation and Watershed.

I picked up Orchid expecting a masterpiece and was extremely disappointed. All of the songs seem to follow the same formula of heavy section that consists of a repeated riff followed by abrupt, awkward shift into acoustic softness that also repeats one theme, followed by a raise in tempo again (usually through a drum or bass beat) to repeat the process ad infinatum. Boring...and the songs are long just to be long, they have no over-arching theme or anything, it's just one riff after another and nothing impressive musically. Honestly, if you rearranged some of the songs internally it would have no effect on their quality since they're such a homogenous blob anyway. And the piano piece was terrible...I dunno if that was their attempt to be progressive or whatever, but it wasn't very good.

May pick up another album in a while, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Hopefully the rest of their discography is more impressive.

Orchid was made while they were still in their teens-what can you expect? It was a really immature record. Only the instrumental "Silhouette" stands out to me as a satisfactory track.

I love 'em. Not a big fan of some of their early stuff (between the first 3, I could probably compile about 2 CDs worth of stuff I like) and about 50/50 on Ghost Reveries, but I don't really have any other complaints about their stuff.

How can you not recommend Still Life? :O

Ah yes. Still Life is also great.

Orchid was made while they were still in their teens-what can you expect? It was a really immature record. Only the instrumental "Silhouette" stands out to me as a satisfactory track.

Silhouette is an awesome dark piano piece. My favorite off that record.
I do like 'The Twilight is My Robe' as well, but I ain't keen on the remaining tracks.

Silhouette is an awesome dark piano piece. My favorite off that record.
I do like 'The Twilight is My Robe' as well, but I ain't keen on the remaining tracks.
Can you believe that their drummer wrote it? He left after Morningrise. I believe his name was Anders Nordin. He went to Brazil.

With the exception of Watershed (which I found boring), I love their material from Still Life and forward.

I can understand that you find Watershed boring. In comparison to the other great albums, it's not that exciting. But it's a deep, profound work still.

No, its because you only like their first 3 albums. Which were most death metal-like. Morningrise was the most proggy of the three, but it too had more death metallic sound than their newer releases.

Still you don't make sense, considering you called me a thrasher and Opeth have practically no death metal elements (side the vocals of course).

Can you believe that their drummer wrote it? He left after Morningrise. I believe his name was Anders Nordin. He went to Brazil.

Interesting! I've somehow assumed Mikael wrote that one.
It somehow reminds me of Patterns in The Ivy, or THIS awesome piece.

They are my second favorite band, right behind Symphony X.

Opeth may not sound anything like Symphony X, but both bands are able to create moods with their music that I love, while still having OMFG!!11!!1!!1 moments, as well.

With the exception of Watershed (which I found boring), I love their material from Still Life and forward.

I agree that Watershed is one of their weaker albums. The songs don't really flow that well in my opinion, which is something Opeth is typically able to do very well.

Then again, my least favorite Opeth album is MAYH. It's like a wall of annoying sound (save for a few good riffs here and there... that's right, Amen Corner and Demon of the Fall, I'm talking about you!)

Listen to "Heir Apparent" and then tell me you don't hear any death metal in it! Not to say something from DELIVERANCE.

Disclaimer: I have not heard anything after Blackwater Park, my comments are based on everything that encompasses all those albums. It should be said though that I seriously doubt their music has changed enough to be considered death metal in just a couple of albums.

Edit: For all those willing to take their chances in proving Opeth's death metal niche, i'd suggest you do your homework and check the following albums. Much easier and less annoying than getting myself into an idiotic argument about death metal in a progressive metal board no less, lol:

Death - Leprosy
Asphyx - The Rack
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
Merciless - The Awakening
Infester - To The Depths... In Degradation

Disclaimer: I have not heard anything after Blackwater Park, my comments are based on everything that encompasses all those albums. It should be said though that I seriously doubt their music has changed enough to be considered death metal in just a couple of albums.

Edit: For all those willing to take their chances in proving Opeth's death metal niche, i'd suggest you do your homework and check the following albums. Much easier and less annoying than getting myself into an idiotic argument about death metal in a progressive metal board no less, lol:

Death - Leprosy
Asphyx - The Rack
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
Merciless - The Awakening
Infester - To The Depths... In Degradation

I don't find that idiotic at all. You are too offensive.

I don't find that idiotic at all. You are too offensive.

For me they are, sorry if that's too offensive for you. I've seen countless arguments of this kind and they usually lead nowhere, and they are usually starte by people who don't have the first clue of what they are talking about.

Genres are tags used as a guideline for people to identify the bands they could like, not for mindless arguments that get you nowhere (hence my idiotic comment).

I think it disproves "Opeth have practically no death metal elements (side the vocals of course)".
On a side note it's also their best song.

Last edited by a moderator: