Do you like Opeth?

Didn't Akerfeldt say point blank "we are a death metal band" or something to that effect on the Lamentations documentary? And again he mentions it here...

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/interviews/a/opethinterview_2.htm

As you look back on Opeth’s catalog, is there any album you think is underrated?
No, I think we got overly hyped on each record. But even though it was well received, I think a record like Damnation should be perceived as much more of a unique record than what I saw. I think it is very odd for a death metal band to record an album like that. That we were able to do it I think deserves a little more recognition than what it got at the time. But it still got great reviews pretty much everywhere.

Though I would agree with others that they are more of a prog band with death vocals.

What does "Opeth" mean? Sounds funny to say; maybe it's not english?
It's not english. It comes from a location in some book I think.
This made me think after my last post. It seems to me in European folklore there was always this reference to the forests being evil, scary, unsafe, ect. especially at night.
In Scandinavian folklore, there are a lot of creatures in the woods who abduct children, lure people into lakes or curse them or kill them in some way. Usually trolls, elves, nymphs, the nix or some other creature(s) involved, most derived from Norse mythology. And yeah, mostly during the evening or in the night.

I just want to know from opeth fans around here, did MA really say that "by the pain i see in others" is his least favorite song?

It's not english. It comes from a location in some book I think.
In Scandinavian folklore, there are a lot of creatures in the woods who abduct children, lure people into lakes or curse them or kill them in some way. Usually trolls, elves, nymphs, the nix or some other creature(s) involved, most derived from Norse mythology. And yeah, mostly during the evening or in the night.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that the location in the book as "Opet" but they added the 'h' because they prefered that sound... Or something.

Orchid - 1/10. Terrible production, boring songs.
Morningrise - 6/10. Bad production, but better. Decent songs for the first half, ends very strong.
MAYH - 8/10. Brilliant album, great feeling.
Still Life - 8/10. Really awesome album. My first opeth disc.
BWP - 5/10. Boring, played out, just not interesting.
Deliverance - 9/10. Probably their best offering.
Damnation - N/A. Shouldn't have been an opeth album at all, but it was really good for what it was. Some really great tracks, some boring ones.
Ghost Reveries - 3/10. More of the same old boring crap, nothing really stands out.
Watershed - 4/10. A few cool parts, a good song or two, but mostly just unnecessary.

As far as the death metal thing goes, their early albums had death metal influence, Masters Apprentice's intro is blatant Morbid Angel worship, Demon of the Fall's first half is death metal, they definitely have their elements of the genre.

And death metal is not a silly genre at all. Or maybe it's as silly as opeth is deep, intelligent music. And if you really believe you're more intelligent just for listening to such "progressive" music as opeth, you better think again :lol:

I'll admit, my BWP rating was based on the fact that i've heard that album so many fucking times that i just can't listen to it anymore :lol:

I only listened to GR a few times, i bought it and it sat on my cd shelf UNOPENED for over a year before i finally sold it. It just didn't interest me. I still WANT to hear songs from Still Life and Deliverance whereas i just never wanted to hear that album again. Watershed was similar that i listened to it a few times, thoguht it was better than GR but not enough to listen to it much.

Also, i have tried listening to orchid so many times and can never finish it. The production flat out sucks, even on the "remastered" version. The songs aren't interesting at all.

Ha! I knew you'd pick Deliverance as your favorite. That proves you ARE a thrasher!:Smug: Deliverance is good except for the last two songs. Even they have interesting moments, but they are just too damn heavy. I'd pick "A Fair Judgement" as my fav track, with title track close second.

I like Damnation and Blackwater Park. Everyone always claimed Still Life to be such a masterpiece, but try as I may, I could not warm up to that one...I didn't like any of it. I do like Blackwater Park quite a bit, though.

There are no bad genres, only bad bands in the genre.

Hey I'll add a gold star to that. Sec.

gold-star.png

There you go.

It's not a jew star.

Why does picking Deliverance as one's favorite implies that? Opeth is my favorite band and Deliverance my favorite album. Yet, I barely listen to black, death (yes, I don't Opeth is strictly a DM band) or thrash metal anymore. I do like doom and progressive metal along with jazz/fusion and some classical.
Spoken like a true.....THRASHER!!