Do you like Opeth?

Master's Apprentices is not death metal, dude...

Back on direct topic, I absolutely LOVE Opeth. One of the best bands of all time, imo. They consistantly release amazing albums (Watershed included), full of creativity and great musicianship (production as of late has also been top-notch). Ghost Reveries and Still Life are my favourites, but Still Life and on are all great (MAYH has some great tracks too).

To the person who said they purchased Orchid, didn't like it, and is now not willing to look into Opeth anymore... Try looking into post "My Arms..." albums. They are completely different from Orchid, man!

Oh really? So you are US's hommie,huh? How sweet. Idiots like you really make me sick of boards like this one.

You're the one referring to him simply as his country of origin and even implying it's an insult. You're the one generalizing an entire genre of music (that you clearly know nothing about.) as "nonsense".

Stop being so damn childish.

Oh really? So you are US's hommie,huh? How sweet. Idiots like you really make me sick of boards like this one.

You might do this board a favor by slimply getting the fuck out. Btw, it doesn't take a hommie to realize that you're simple child that knows shit about the aforementioned subject. It only takes brains genius and Swabs was just refuting your completely baseless and ignorant statement. Go play with some play-doh or doggie shit for all I care.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it now :lol: Cheers Swabs.

Master's Apprentices is not death metal, dude...
I think it disproves "Opeth have practically no death metal elements (side the vocals of course)".
I didn't write that MA was death metal. I wrote it had elements of it. Compare the song to God of Emptiness or Where the Slime Live, for example. I know perfectly fucking well what death metal is and isn't.

What do they sing about? Ghosts, death, forests.

Thanks Ken, seems others were uncapable... of quite a bit from reading their posts. Anyhow, I knew this and is why I asked the question being there was all this turbulence as to if they were death metal or not. I know when I did listen to them I felt the presence of death everywhere, like I was sitting in a funeral parlor, so it grew old very quickly. Im a fighter not a death worshipper, fuck them funeral parlors, I spent way to much time there as a child.

I also muse at this European infatuation of connecting the forest with death. Death is the city, the forests represent life. Im glad to have lived in and adopted many beliefs of the lands of the Indians. Our religious ancesters were some freaky assed people.

I know when I did listen to them I felt the presence of death everywhere, like I was sitting in a funeral parlor, so it grew old very quickly. Im a fighter not a death worshipper, fuck them funeral parlors, I spent way to much time there as a child.

I also muse at this European infatuation of connecting the forest with death. Death is the city, the forests represent life. Im glad to have lived in and adopted many beliefs of the lands of the Indians. Our religious ancesters were some freaky assed people.

What an awesome post! :headbang:

I think they see it the same way actually. The fixation on nature, growth, and forests stems from the rejection of city life and modernity. Modernity and the monoliths of mankind are death. Nature is wild and both growth and decay are aspects of a vivid life. So really, the connection between death and the forest is a yin yang relationship.

I think they see it the same way actually. The fixation on nature, growth, and forests stems from the rejection of city life and modernity. Modernity and the monoliths of mankind are death. Nature is wild and both growth and decay are aspects of a vivid life. So really, the connection between death and the forest is a yin yang relationship.

This made me think after my last post. It seems to me in European folklore there was always this reference to the forests being evil, scary, unsafe, ect. especially at night. This fear also seems to be imbedded still in many peoples psych, I have had this myself, the hair raising on the back. Fear of the dark, all alone with the unseen, a creepy place to turn ones mind. I always did fine so long as I kept my head clear and in touch with reality.

One of the trails I trained my dogs on at nights went past an old 1800's cemetary with a fabled "witches grave". I could get myself a bit creeped out going past there in the twilight for awhile, then I got over it... "the bitch is dead"... worked fine for me.